On Returning

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dredi

On Returning

Post by Dredi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:57 pm

So! A few quick questions as circumstances are slightly different to the normal fare.

A good.. few years back we're looking between 5-10 years, I used to play here rather consistantly.

A few months before I did leave in earnest I retired one of my old characters for what was at the time a non-automated process for a Epic character to get a 5% chance at something special or a "Major" award as you'd probably call it now.

I was unfortunately unsuccessful, naturally at the time there was no "Normal" or "Minor" award, so to fail was to get nothing.

It was Overseen by JJ and another DM who's name I forget, but remember to be High Preistess Lexi's player. I rolled a 14 when I needed a 5. Alas.

I had returned now, decided to remake the character on the grounds that he had left Arelith to travel and had not been actually killed IC. Only after did it become obvious that server currently has a rule that characters retired in this way cannot be reused or remade. I cannot honestly say if it was the case at the time, but it probably was.

This raises 2 questions!

First - Am I okay to reuse the character (Dredi Harren) with past knowledge, memories, et cetera but, of course starting fresh from level 1 as I had intended.

Second - if this is not possible on the unlikly case (dont ask, dont receive afterall) is there any possibility I might get the now implimented "Normal" reward to put towards a new character?

You may well say No to both (And given the circumstances this is perfectly reasonable!) but I'd rather not establish the character if there is a high liklihood that I am to loose it in the future.

Thanks in advance!
Roleplay can define your characters actions but when you as a player have the ability to accept loss and understand that sometimes its better to let the other person win because it makes a better story - it is then that you become a good roleplayer.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Re: On Returning

Post by Iceborn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:32 pm

I cannot say anything for certain about the former, but most likely not something you should do. You could, however, play a relative or a friend that knows bits of lore told by your old character.

For the latter, that's a more solid "not possible". There are a lot of cases like yours and the Team cannot evaluate every single one of them to determine what is fair, so fair is that the answer is always the same.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:38 pm

I can't really speak for the GM team, but Iceborn has it right - probably not. Which is a shame, I loved Dredi back in the day.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:41 pm

Now there is an old face! Really nice to see you back after so long, and I hope you can stick around.

In the circumstances it pains me to say (because I'd personally get goosebumps at seeing the character pop up again) that the answer is 'no' and 'no' here.

It's not because I don't think it's okay, but because of our general policy for Arelith as a whole. We really can't make exceptions for these rules. A lot of characters try the 5% roll, and this is with the very clear understanding that the character would then be gone forever, irrespective of whether the roll succeeded.

You're not alone in having done this before the other rewards, some people got the roll, some didn't, but we all have to accept the consequences.

Really is the same as handing out a normal reward restrospectively. Arelith changes all the time, and there are always features introduced that come at just the wrong time for someone. Recently we made RDDs possible for kobolds without the 5%, and plenty of characters had lost their characters trying to gain it, some just days or weeks beforehand.

The list really does go on and on though, players will often wish they'd done something just a few days later, or find their character suddenly newtered by an unexpected change (see the latest werewolf thread). It's frustrating when it happens, but it is also the nature of an ever evolving server.

I do get that these decisions can be painful, and we don't gloat about them behind closed doors, but in the end we can only run and improve the server in the way we think best.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 pm

Welcome back! Good to see you again.

I am sure that you'll enjoy starting a new char. Things have changed quite a lot! Server is more dynamic, and it's difficult to fit old chars into the new. Past is past, it was good times, and personally, I found that, may they rest in peace! Let us remember them with smiles on our faces. There is a lot of new things for you to try. It's exciting!

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:51 pm

I only came back a few months ago myself after a nearly decade-long absence. It's been pretty fun!

Dredi

Post by Dredi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:41 am

Thats fair enough then!

It was a matter of asking and hoping admittedly but alas.

No harm in asking ;)
Roleplay can define your characters actions but when you as a player have the ability to accept loss and understand that sometimes its better to let the other person win because it makes a better story - it is then that you become a good roleplayer.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:03 am

Time to roll up Hedi Drarren. (I remember the name, although I don't remember if we ever interacted.)
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:20 am

I was once a drow prisoner beside you! Welcome back. :)
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil