Animation Question : Lore

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Manabi

Animation Question : Lore

Post by Manabi » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:31 am

So, apparently there is this huge IC debate going on (and probably lore wise as well) on whether animation brings the spirit back into the body for lesser undead (Zombies, Skeletons, ETC)

I can't seem to get conformation on this lore wise on how it actually works but I'm limited to what sources I have on the google. It's not that It's not that I'm wanting to bring OoC knowledge into the game, but I'm merely curious.

Also, any random bits of animation lore would be awesome to look into!
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Animation Question : Lore

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:49 am

In 3.0/3.5, standard undead animation spells do not utilize the victim's soul- it functions by creating a link to the negative energy plane through the undead which then animates the body in the pursuit of consuming/destroying all life.

Even wights do not utilize the souls that inhabited their bodies.

Vampires and liches are special exceptions- in both instances, the soul, and natural sentience, remain with the body- but in both cases, will very likely corrupt over time due to the malign influences of the negative energy that now sustains their lives.

I am unsure off the top of my head where mummies fall in that category.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:02 am

Vampires and liches are special exceptions- in both instances, the soul, and natural sentience, remain with the body- but in both cases, will very likely corrupt over time due to the malign influences of the negative energy that now sustains their lives.
Are you sure Vampire's retain their soul?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:06 am

According to FR Lore regarding one Jander Sunstar, which blends in over to Ravenloft lore in this circumstance, which in other circumstances blends into Dragonlance lore- yes.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Jander_Sunstar
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:59 am

Maybe the retention of a soul explains his status as "Gold elf unique vampire", instead of 'Vampire'.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:36 am

Basically, As I understood it you use negative energy / a spirit from the plane of negative energy to create a very agressive "Golemnoid" like creature (Not really a golem, tbh) That wishes to destroy all life.

Izaich

Post by Izaich » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:09 am

You might be interested in looking into the spell called Animate with the Spirit. It's a good-aligned spell that basically imbues a corpse with the spirit of a celestial entity. Mechanically, the animated creature is considered 'alive, but possessed'.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 am

Thats' a pretty cool spell. :O
Though its not actual Necromancy.
Conjuration (Summoning) [Good]

Level: Sanctified 4

Components: V, S, DF, sacrifice

Casting Time: 10 minutes

Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

Target: One corpse with HD equal to or less than your caster level

Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: No

By casting this spell, you request your deity to send you the spirit of a good-aligned outsider (of 6 HD or less) of the deity's choice to inhabit a corpse within range, which becomes animated by the spirit.

If you serve no particular deity, the spell is a general plea answered by a creature sharing your philosophical alignment.

If you know an individual creature's name, you can request that individual by speaking the name during the spell (though you might get a different creature anyway).

The Hit Dice of the corpse to be animated (not counting class levels) cannot exceed your caster level.

The possessed body attacks your opponents to the best of its ability.

If you can communicate with the possessing spirit, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

While the body is inhabited by the spirit, it is treated as if were still alive but possessed.

It uses the outsider's Intelligence (G,A), Wisdom (A,G), Charisma (A,G), base attack bonus, base save bonuses, alignment, mental abilities, and any class levels it might have.

The body regains the Strength (G,A), Dexterity (G,A), Constitution (A,G), hit points, and innate abilities of the creature the corpse represented when it was alive.

For example, a sahuagin's body breathes water and a troll's body regenerates.

The spirit can't choose to activate the host body's extraordinary or supernatural abilities, and the host body's spells and spell-like abilities do not stay with the body. The spirit remains within the body until the spell is dismissed, the duration ends, or the host body is slain, at which point it returns to its original body with no ill effects.

Sacrifice Component: 1d3 points of Strength (G,A) drain.

Source: Champions of Valor (CV)

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for the information!
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.