War Torn...?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

War Torn...?

Post by grip » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:16 pm

I'm looking for places on Faerun that are in or recently were in a state of war. What is preferable is a cold war type situation, but as many places as you lore geeks can come up with would be great.

EDIT* Places where the local populace is oppressed by an outside force would be nice too.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Cortex

Re: War Torn...?

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:30 pm

Thay instantly came to mind, pretty sure they're in a constant cold war with literally everyone else.

Worthy of note, while I may be savagely wrong, cold war implies there's a reason for one not to be at each other's throats, like in RL they were nukes, or just a battle of attrition that takes years to conclude because both sides don't want to take risks.
:)

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Unther.

The place has had a shit time of things. Most of their pantheon is dead, courtesy of Tiamat killing Gilgeam and the Mulhorandi pantheon moving in to pick up the pieces. Hoar survived but is no longer Unther specific.

The nation descended essentially into anarchy when their god kings died, and Mulhorand conquered pretty much the whole country in the name of preserving stability. There is currently (in 3e terms) a revolt being staged by the remnants of free Unther, though it's sort of debatable who the good guys are in this war: the Unther that they are trying to preserve was a ruthless, capricious, brutal magocracy, which fought most of its wars with badly equipped slave armies, and maintained order by crushing malcontents brutally, and was ruled over by a quite literally power-mad god king. On the other hand, the Mulhorandi view of maintaining stability is a religious and cultural conquest, whereby the Untheric people are forcibly integrated into Mulhorandi society, and converted to the worship of Mulhorandi deities.

For reference material on Unther, study ancient Mesopotamia, with a key focus on several geo-cultural phenomena. Most importantly, the erratic, unpredictable and frequently destructive flooding of the Tigris and Euphrates, which instilled a cultural belief common in ancient Mesopotamian civilizations that theirs was a powerless, hapless fate at the mercy of a bunch of deranged, insane, and often very cruel gods. Contrast to ancient Egypt, which had stable, periodic, gentle flooding of the Nile, which brought great agricultural fertility, and saw the development of a worldview that essentially saw the gods as preservers of stability and order who rewarded those who knew their proper place in the social order.

The pantheons of Unther and Mulhorand, as well as the cultural structure are essentially direct transplants, down to the point where Unther got itself a crazy CE god king in Gilgeam who did whatever he wanted to to his people because he could, and Mulhorand has had the same role filled by a series of much more paternal (if sometimes cripplingly orthodox) LN/LG-ish entities.

Honorable mentions go to Chessenta, for perpetually warring city states unable to stop fighting each other, or less frequently their neighbors, for more than a few years at a time (I'll take "How Rome Conquered Greece" for 600, Alex), Vaasa, for being a frigid, quasi-Siberian, monster-infested hellhole, and more or less anywhere bordering Thay, for bordering Thay.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:57 pm

Echo the Unther and Chessenta.

Thesk also just got invaded by the Tuigan in 1360, burning most of the country. (1360 is 3 years before what is considered the 'canon' start date of 3.5th edition, aka Arelith)

Vaasa is also always a "burr" war moment.

Impiltur has factionalism, monarchical instability, and looming threats of big bad guys in the Earthspur and the Rawlinswood.

Bedine in the Anauroch are fighting a guerrila war against Thay and the Zhentarim.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:39 am

Tuigen tribes in the hordelands come to mind, depending on the time area. Tuigen=mongels, and they went and attacked pretty much everything nearby (Semphar, Khazari, Shou Lung, Thay, Rashemen, and Thesk)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 am

Impiltur may not be wartorn but in a constant state of anxiety due demonic invaders. Or am I way off?

Arise_Gargantua

Post by Arise_Gargantua » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:28 pm

The Nar/Damarr border is what I selected for a war-torn character once.
Song of my soul, my voice is dead, die thou, unsung, as tears unshed shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:34 am

Damara just got out of a bitchin' War with (Witch King controlled) Vaasa.
There was totally undead and monsters and more undead everywhurr.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Ils ne passeront pas

Post by Ils ne passeront pas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:49 am

Maztica has also recently had its disgusting Saracen problem ameliorated by glorious Amnish crusading and intervention.
"Tell me Man; Is there not one in all your ranks? Is there no one who values courage over life?"