How does level drain work in PVP?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Manabi

How does level drain work in PVP?

Post by Manabi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 am

The NWN wikis says it's permanent - but that's unrealistic in this sense. Is there a timer for how it works? Is it disabled for PVP?
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

HurinWillSmite

Re: How does level drain work in PVP?

Post by HurinWillSmite » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:20 am

It will not wear off. It will only disappear when the server resets or you go to another server. Returning to the server where you got drained will give you the level drain again.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:30 pm

I think restoration (not lesser restoration) also cures it.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

jp.ping14

Post by jp.ping14 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm not sure if divine intervention is allowed in PVP, give it a try with a buddy?
*hint hint* ;-)

I am very sure that the gods are compassionate enough to aid their ailing subject. =D
Atleast against monsters.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Restoration or Greater Restoration will remove a level drain, as will *prays*

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 am

jp.ping14 wrote:I'm not sure if divine intervention is allowed in PVP, give it a try with a buddy?
*hint hint* ;-)

I am very sure that the gods are compassionate enough to aid their ailing subject. =D
Atleast against monsters.
Are you saying restoration/greater restoration spells aren't allowed in PvP? Because they most certainly are. To my knowledge, the only spells NOT allowed are Raise Dead and Resurrection. Any/everything else is fair game, but if you cast something like Hellball in the middle of the street, expect to be slapped ICly, OOCly, or both.

Otherwise, level drain is perfectly allowed in PvP. It's a temporary effect that, as stated, lasts until the next reset, or until removed via Restoration/Greater Restoration. It doesn't ACTUALLY delevel someone when cast.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:04 am

Jack Oat wrote:Are you saying restoration/greater restoration spells aren't allowed in PvP? Because they most certainly are.
He said "I'm not sure if...", not "You can't use these spells."
Jack Oat wrote:To my knowledge, the only spells NOT allowed are Raise Dead and Resurrection.
Unless I missed a dev statement somewhere, I'm 99% certain this is inaccurate. What is against the rules, is not obtaining permission to engage in PvP within 24 hours from the person(s) involved in the PvP event that led to your characters' death. So while someone can't raise you and then you can jump back into the fray (unless you somehow get permission while someone is PvPing), you can totally be resurrected while the fight is still going on and run away/disengage/etc.

Unless the PvP engagement isn't counted as over until all parties are either dead/disengaged, then idk.
Jack Oat wrote:but if you cast something like Hellball in the middle of the street, expect to be slapped ICly, OOCly, or both.
Most I've ever seen happen OOCly is Scorch Marks get added.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:42 am

I have seen a permaban for exactly that, so...

Turning settlements into a battlefield is not really desirable except during special DM-run events, and (this is more for individual engagements than the kill-everything spell) ignoring the NPC guards in a settlement because you know OOCly that they won't attack is plain metagaming. If your character knew the reputation of Cordor Elites (for example) or just wasn't a dummy, they would not try to attack someone within line of sight of those guards, or even anywhere that those guards might hear them really. Probably they would make an effort not to do any of their lawbreaking in sight of these guards, but many people think of them as just part of the scenery instead of a character in the world.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:37 am

Fun fact: if you drain them enough, you can kill them in pvp with level drain. If you drain them and they get drained to level 0 or lower, they'll die.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:00 am

IDK. Although the rules do not forbid the raising of people during pvp per sae, to re-enter into it with the same players seems like a violation of the 24 hour rule. On account of when you die, I thought that meant the 34 hour rule goes into effect.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:16 pm

IMO, pretty much any reasonable reading of the rules should preclude people getting raised and re-engaging mid fight. Not only is it forbidden by a literal reading of the engagement rules, common sense says you should refrain from doing it too: easiest way to convince your opponent to bash you mid fight is to serially re-engage after raises.

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:IMO, pretty much any reasonable reading of the rules should preclude people getting raised and re-engaging mid fight. Not only is it forbidden by a literal reading of the engagement rules, common sense says you should refrain from doing it too: easiest way to convince your opponent to bash you mid fight is to serially re-engage after raises.
This. If you raise your allies mid-fight, you're just going to get all of them bashed.

Not to mention that if one of the people you raise has a MoD, you've just likely taken two lives away from them. Not everyone understands the rules perfectly, and raising someone mid-fight will make many think (on both sides) that those characters are free to re-engage.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Trunx wrote: This. If you raise your allies mid-fight, you're just going to get all of them bashed.

Not to mention that if one of the people you raise has a MoD, you've just likely taken two lives away from them. Not everyone understands the rules perfectly, and raising someone mid-fight will make many think (on both sides) that those characters are free to re-engage.
If you raise an ally mid-fight, and they run away, and someone from that fight chases them down to corpsebash them or take away a second MoD life, then they are the one's violating the rule unless they obtain permission first.

If anything, I'd say that it actually helps prevent bashing as long as the character being raised has the wit to not stick around.
Last edited by JediMindTrix on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Hence "not everyone understands the rules perfectly."

Yes, they would be the one violating the rule -- and you'd still be out two MoD lives instead of one.

Erin Greene
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Erin Greene » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:19 am

Trunx wrote:Hence "not everyone understands the rules perfectly."

Yes, they would be the one violating the rule -- and you'd still be out two MoD lives instead of one.

This is, ideally, where a DM should step in and give one of the MOD lives back, since you lost it to what amounts to Griefing.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:46 am

The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill