Quick Sorcerer Question! (Trying not make this a habit)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Pandemonium

Quick Sorcerer Question! (Trying not make this a habit)

Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Hey,

Apologies if I'm making too many of these threads but Google has precious little information when it comes to Weave Masters and what's good or not.

It occurred to me due to the CDs I'll never be an offensive powerhouse so am I right in thinking Evocation focus feats and subsequently Hellball and Greater Ruin are rather pointless to take and I should use the feats on more utility?

Also so I can hopefully stop making these threads every few days I would love it if someone could give me some quickfire tips and tricks type thing on the Weave Master, what feats are good, playstyle goals, build idea that kind of thing. A bit overwhelmed with the in depthness of what you can do with the ruleset at the moment!

Thanks,
Josh.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: Quick Sorcerer Question! (Trying not make this a habit)

Post by Dalenger » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:28 pm

I've never weave mastered before, but from what I understand about the class is you've very good at keeping your entire party buffed, keeping a summon at your side, and occasionally blasting a hole in a monster. You'll probably want to take at least GSF: Conj to get the buffed summons.

Taking evocation foci isn't bad, especially considering you'll eventually get a super buffed version of the Hellball and Greater Ruin. However, you'll definitely want to set aside three epics feast for auto quicken I, II, and III.

But no, your DPR is not great. If you want to be a DPR monster, take True Flame.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:26 pm

You'll get access to some good spells to deal quick DPS without a cooldown (Along with stat drainage).
But it's very few and very late - and necromancy for the most part.

One tip is to focus on getting Quicken fast, and take Auto Quicken I as your first epic feat.
As mentioned already, your best bet is summoning and buffing up the party.

Although, before you get quicken, that can take a long time - and you'll have moments when you've just cast a high-end spell, after which you'd need to cast another because someone opened the wrong door.
So be prepared for that.

Beep boop.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Your best bet in terms of endgame if you want to be a weave master blaster caster might be to take conjuration focuses, quicken and auto-quicken 1 and 2 at least, and use unlimited flame arrows. It strikes only 1 target at a time, but I think you will be able to spam them twice per round with no cooldown for 28d6 damage each (98 damage on average for each flame arrow, assuming they fail all saves, but this is not a safe assumption when using a level 3 spell).

You won't be able to cast the spell with no cooldown until level 29, or level 27 if you take exactly 4 levels in a non-sorc class (though that takes you down to a max of 24d6 per spell). That route also has the side-effect of giving you more powerful summons.

With auto-quicken 3 I think you will also be able to cast level 4 spells with no cooldown (by casting them using quicken spell), but the only one of the blasting variety worth serious mention is probably ice storm, since it continues to grow in power to 15d6 total to an entire group at level 30, with no save (so focuses don't matter).

I might be wrong on the particulars about how some of the cooldown reduction works.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Quicken and Autoquicken don't stack. If you have Autoquicken and you cast a spell Quickened, it uses the Quicken cooldown reduction, instead. For the most part, it becomes useless, but it maintains some utility in allowing you to refresh spell slots drained by Counterspelling, without having to wait through a longer cooldown.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:03 pm

I debate whether Auto-Quicken is really a necessity in light of that information ^

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Auto-quicken I is all you need to get infinite flame arrows I guess. It is not possible to make any spell more powerful (in pure damage numbers) than flame arrow have no cooldown.

Pandemonium

Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:22 pm

So what feats would you guys choose for a Weave Master focused on utility over damage. I'm level 11 currently and the only feat I have worth mentioning is the first Evo Focus.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Extend Spell for sure. Abjuration is good to improve your dispel-ability which is absolutely needed by parties, and you can also take Arcane Defense: Abjuration to help protect your own spells from being dispelled.

If you want to be a utility caster that does far more than most do, don't forget about counterspelling.

Be careful because counterspelling will actually use up a spell slot without replenishing it, but you can replenish the spells from the level you used to counterspell with by casting a spell from that level later. I don't know how counterspelling interacts with the cooldown (i.e. you might be able to counterspell while you wouldn't otherwise be able to cast a spell and without triggering a cooldown if the script doesn't hook into counterspelling).

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Counterspelling doesn't trigger a cooldown, and it can be used during cooldowns. It also doesn't break invisibility or sanctuary. If you want to be a bro as a WM, always counterspell during cooldowns. It's a good idea to keep a level 2/3/5/9 spell on your primary hotbar (whichever levels you have your dispel spells at) so that you can keep track of your remaining counters.

DrVindaloo

Post by DrVindaloo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:00 am

I personally suggest focusing on enchantment. Spamming holds and confusions does wonders in a PVE scenario.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:08 pm

I haven't played a WM (filthy blood-mages and their brethren, pah! :P ) but if I understand their mechanics correctly, with Auto-Quicken 3 you can cast up to 5th level spells without any additional cooldown.

Of the evocation spells, delayed blast fireball has the highest potential raw damage numbers per target, with the ability to empower it as a 9th level spell rendering it up to a 30d6 fire damage spell. Which is pretty sweet against just about anything except a fire elemental or a red dragon, so there's that.

Then, more relevant to our premise of 5th level spells, there is firebrand. Firebrand is special. Firebrand targets your whole screen for up to 15d6 fire damage. The next closest thing to that is Meteor Swarm, at level 9, for a whopping 5 extra damage die (although the +4 DC is nice). Also, you don't have to center firebrand on yourself, so there's that, too.

This means that at max level with Auto-Quicken III you can spam the third-highest evocation output spell over a colossal area, twice/round.

>.> Also, just saying, there is no level cap on Ice Storm's damage progress, and it is saveless. So if you go pure caster, that's a nice Huge Burst of cold for those pesky fire immunes (and rogues), too, with no spell foci required.

... But wizards are still better.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:I haven't played a WM (filthy blood-mages and their brethren, pah! :P ) but if I understand their mechanics correctly, with Auto-Quicken 3 you can cast up to 5th level spells without any additional cooldown.
That was the old way. Originally, Quicken Spell removed the cooldown entirely. Now it drops the cooldown by one round.

Auto Quicken follows the reduction scheme found here.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:01 am

After taking the feat Quicken Spell, my Weavemaster still has a 7 sec cooldown on level 2 spells. Is this intended? Or do I have to wait until a server reset for the effects to apply, perchance?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:11 am

Did you cast them Quickened? It isn't automatic. You have to apply Quicken Spell like any other metamagic feat.

If you take the feat as soon as it's available, you'll only be able to quicken cantrips.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:29 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:Did you cast them Quickened? It isn't automatic. You have to apply Quicken Spell like any other metamagic feat.

If you take the feat as soon as it's available, you'll only be able to quicken cantrips.
That makes total sense now! I suppose cantrips are good as quickened spells, no? :roll:

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:46 am

Most of them are useless, because even quickened they don't put out DPR like Magic Missiles. However, on Arelith, Daze works on any humanoid of level less than or equal to the caster, so it remains a useful tool for Enchanters up until early teens.