PVP rules and the like

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

I_Am_Death
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

PVP rules and the like

Post by I_Am_Death » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:17 am

So, as far as I am aware in order to pvp there has to be *proper*(relative term, i know) RP between the two players? Correct me if I am wrong.

Well, in any case- I got killed outside of the Nomad with absolute 0 RP.
Here is my screenshot proof.
murder.jpg
Murder?
murder.jpg (165.58 KiB) Viewed 5900 times

I_Am_Death
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: PVP rules and the like

Post by I_Am_Death » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:30 am

Ok- I might have been a little too frustrated than I should have. Apparently the player missclicked on me and attacked. Guess accidents happen

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:04 pm

If you should ever encounter a real PVP rule break PM a DM and send them screenshots like you did here.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:21 pm

And not post on the forums, ever.

also, "misclick", ayyy
:)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:21 pm

On an unrelated note, what mod are you using for your hotbar icons? Those look pretty sweet.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Misclicks happen, and are unfortunate.
Staying away from Cordor gives you a 1% higher chance of staying alive.
Also please don't post screenshots like this on the forums, as mentioned!

There are also situations where you might run into a PvP encounter between factions, and end up killed without being directly linked to the event.
I'm fairly sure cases like that are linked to the "Bad things happen to good adventurers".

But in a general case, keep calm and contact the player(s) first before taking it to a DM!
That's my one and only advice.

Beep boop.

Thake

Post by Thake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 pm

A general summary of Arelith PvP is

1% Missclick
1% Run-into-an-encounter-and-get-killed-by-accident
98% Non-RP-already-buffed-or-buffing-without-emoting-tearing-you-apart-with-especially-built-for-PvP-toon

Wanna stay alive? Avoid it
Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

Ace04191999

Post by Ace04191999 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:27 pm

http://neverwintervault.org/search/node/Colorized

I use the same as he does, thats the link to the colourized spells/feats/etc. Amethyst Dragon does great work on overrides. ^^
"Summon Nerd exists, it's just called -yoink. :P"
Mithreas, 2015

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Nice, thanks.

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Sadly 3/4's of the entire server probably needs a refresher course on the PvP rules.
Not a Harper

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:36 pm

The problem isn't that some people won't follow the rules, it's that they'll play around the rules the best they can to get away with winning.
:)

I_Am_Death
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by I_Am_Death » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Ace04191999 wrote:http://neverwintervault.org/search/node/Colorized

I use the same as he does, thats the link to the colourized spells/feats/etc. Amethyst Dragon does great work on overrides. ^^
Im using his full package that was created for "World of Aenea". Which has the colorized icons as well as transparent GIU and blah blah blah. (also- that was in windowed mode as it was on my work pc :P looks way better on my home pc)

On topic- Yea was a mistake posting here, frustration and lack of straight thinking caused this- My bad!

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 pm

DSM-IV wrote:Sadly 3/4's of the entire server probably needs a refresher course on the PvP rules.
Not really. It's not a knowledge issue. Most players know the rules quite well, the rules have just been clearly enough defined that people who want to circumvent them feel that they can, whether this is trying to avoid fights they don't want by not emoting and walking or lensing out, buffing for battle before throwing down the hostiles, or exchanging a single word emote with their target before gunning for the kill.

TotesTotem
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by TotesTotem » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:21 am

I won't name names, but one time a character attacked mine with the player sending a tell to apologise for the misclick. It then happened again two more times. The 'misclick' seemed to happen after he went from naked to full armor, weapon and shield out, and attacking. Then back again. Each time. I didn't pursue it further, but it was frustrating to say the least.

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:31 am

Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:46 am

A question about the whole PVP thing, what exactly "counts" for an interaction? Does it have to be emotes with words? All of my PVP interactions have been all,

(This is not how the conversation went about, but let me summarize)

"Sir! I am prepared to battle you. Say something so we can battle."
"Sir! I have now said something! Thank you for the warning, I am prepared for battle!"
(commence fight)

I've been trying to think of more creative ways to go about it - but I don't want to push any rule breaking.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:21 am

It depends on how dickish you're willing to be.

Some people will drop a hotkeyed one-line before hitting the hotkeyed implosion/imp KD/hellball/FoD button next to it before anyone can really react. Dickish? Yes. Rule-breaking? No.

It doesn't always have to be the character interacting that has to pvp. Example; Person A, Victim, and 3 stealthed rogues for this example.

Person A: Surrender now! you're surrounded and can't win!
*everyone hostiles*
Victim: HA! Good try, but you're alone, and i'm a level 30 wizard! You can't kill me!
*Victim begins casting timestop. All 3 rogues are in melee range, and the victims casting triggers 3 attack-of-oppertunity triggered sneak attack flurries from each rogue*

Obviously, the more interaction you can have leading up to it (or at least, better quality interactions beforehand) the better.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 am

Eh, this sort of thing is more or less what I was talking about.

When you get players analyzing the rules of engagement under a microscope to retain the barest traces of legality in their engagement style, you end up with shittier engagements, because you get a rush to retain as much advantage as possible while being just barely, technically on the right side of the rules.

Stop. Chances are if you're asking this question, it's because the answer is "No, you haven't really done a good job setting up this conflict".

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:51 pm

But Arelith does have a nice big golden rule in place to prevent rules lawyering, dickishness and cheeseballing. It's right on the front page:
The current rules that we stringently enforce to ensure quality can really be summed up with the following statement: Play nicely and don't be a cheeseball.
If someone is being a dickish cheeseball, send it on to the DM's, don't just complain on the forums about how many dickish cheeseballs there are. And just because you don't see what happens to the perpetrator doesn't mean they don't get punished with negative RPR, Mark of Despair or even bans.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:52 pm

I will say this

I been on a few of those crappy not even knowing what's going to happen PvP encounters
and a few times some of the players in my group reported the incident and we never got an answer back, not even to say that the other group did the right thing RPing the incident.

I know some players that they don't even bother to report incidents anymore because they never got and answer in the past with other situations
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:43 am

Reporting is important. Even if the DMs don't make a judgement on YOUR incident, it does build a case and go on the player's rap sheet which may help influence a decision later down in the road.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:13 am

Personally, in every PvP (or potential PvP) encounter I have been in, there has always been RP. The only issue I have had in the past - occasionally it still happens - is aggressors who have not "disliked" my character before attacking/casting an offensive spell. This has happened a lot and I haven't really bothered to report it, because it does not ruin my entire day.

But yes, I agree that reports need to be done in a message to the DMs. And yes, I also agree in those who advise others to read PvP rules before engaging. It can be very helpful =)

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:40 am

Ork wrote:Reporting is important. Even if the DMs don't make a judgement on YOUR incident, it does build a case and go on the player's rap sheet which may help influence a decision later down in the road.
This. Except a caveat: DMs have never, to my knowledge, not reached SOME kind of decision. It just may not be in your favour.

But yes.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:35 am

Manabi wrote:(This is not how the conversation went about, but let me summarize)

"Sir! I am prepared to battle you. Say something so we can battle."
"Sir! I have now said something! Thank you for the warning, I am prepared for battle!"
(commence fight)
Were those exchanges tense encounters that escalated into PvP? With just the right hints in there that both are about to smack each other?
That is usually a good thing, especially when you are interacting with the other player for the first time. If one of the players is not cool with PvP, its usually better to bend your RP away from it (unless they really, really need a hellball to the face).
Or do you mean the exchanges were flat excuses to get over the words and to the killing?

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:31 pm

P Three wrote:
Ork wrote:Reporting is important. Even if the DMs don't make a judgement on YOUR incident, it does build a case and go on the player's rap sheet which may help influence a decision later down in the road.
This. Except a caveat: DMs have never, to my knowledge, not reached SOME kind of decision. It just may not be in your favour.

But yes.
Yup! Not even " We are going to take care of this"

Problem is not knowing people are going to start to look
to get even.

I'm not talking about a Banite vs Settlement encounter as an example
Those are fine because if you belong to ine of those factions that sort of thing is expected.

I'm talking about the ramdom guy (Usually a new player) that show up at the server and drop
The hammer if another PC say something like " your armor colors are ugly" and they do this every time they can
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main