Language Learning from Books/Inscriptions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cataclysm of Iron

Language Learning from Books/Inscriptions

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:51 am

Does reading writing or inscriptions in a language you're learning add to progress?

If not, could it mechanically be implemented with being abusable by just spam reading the same thing?

Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

riffraff

Re: Language Learning from Books/Inscriptions

Post by riffraff » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:55 am

As far as I can tell from both experimentation and the wiki, you can only learn by overhearing conversation in the relevant language. I would be beyond happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

To be honest, anything at all that would make language learning more active would be a huge improvement. The passive nature of it makes it exceptionally boring. As someone OOCly interested in fantasy languages and ICly trying to learn a language it would be actually exciting if there was a way to seek out knowledge on the language and engage in some sort of studying mechanic, rather than having to just sit and listen to other people talk.

Even trying to use the language having some effect would be better than how it currently stands as then you could actually have engaging language lessons or a reason to be the bewildered tourist struggling to ask where the nearest tavern is in Myon.

The actual RP I've had around learning languages has been like this and has been very fun and funny. The problem is that such RP does very little to actually help with learning, which seems a little backwards to me.

cold chuckle

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:18 pm

If I can think of a way to make learning from language reading non-exploitable and interactive, I would consider implementing this. What kind of experience/RP would you be looking for with learning from inscriptions? I am open to suggestions.

I have quite a lot of personal experience with learning languages IG so I'm relatively aware of what the pain points are, at least from my perspective, but more perspectives on specific criticisms would help.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:55 pm

I mention inscriptions only because that's the practical way for actual books (as opposed to notes) to be "written" in a language.

Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Dayuhan

Post by Dayuhan » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:48 pm

Perhaps there could be a rare "book, scroll, tome, drops that, when "read", is consumed but increases the target language skill by x% or x number of points. Restrict these consumable drops so a character can only ever use them once and afterward they provide no further benefit (thus they cannot just purchase a bunch of these to increase their skill over and over.).