Lag and latency

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Elena

Lag and latency

Post by Elena » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Since I've come back from my holidays, I experience some latency while playing, which I never had before.

Did something change in the recent past (~4 weeks), that I missed?
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Lag and latency

Post by Mithreas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Not that I'm aware of... though as we're hosted on Google's compute cloud, it's entirely possible that things have changed on their end.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:23 am

I can't seem to find the issue.. someone out there who could give me a hint what could be the problem?

I experienced this before when there were many players on the servers / a big event happening, so that you click to walk somehwere, but your toon would start walking with a delay of half a second.

As well as when I open containers, type something, use spells... everything happens with some temporal delay :(
It's not unplayable, but this never persisted before but seems now to be the status quo.
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:36 pm

On all 3 main servers plus FL?
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:46 pm

On all 3 servers. FL I can't say, I haven't logged in there.

I don't have this on any other server I connect to..

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Try going to a cafe or something with internet, and connecting from there. Does the problem still happen from a different connection?

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I can't move it, it's a Desktop :)
But from what my friend says, it has only affected NwN. Everything else just works fine. We did a speed test, which showed that everything was according to our internet DSL contract.

I tried to switch the compatibility mode to several other Windows XP SP2, 3, etc.. run as Administrator (Which I do anyway all the time).

Not sure what it is. As it's only affecting Arelith so far.

Edit: My friend actually made a complete shut down of everything that's related to internet. Cables, devices, (me :mrgreen: ), and now after all is back up and installed, it seems that a total disconnection, including break has solved the issue.

I'll say everything is good again and if nothing is heard, this is no issue anymore, yay :P

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 pm

A complete shutdown of everything often fixes 95% of computer problems :D.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:07 pm

But... HOW?! It was literally only plugging out and in.

Magic

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:36 pm

For a limited time offer of $9.95 + $1/minute I shall speak for your benefit the wonders of such magic!

Don't worry, I am an "expert" from the internet so all I say must be legit! ;)

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:26 am

I am very familiar with the "magic" of the reset/ reinstall/reboot phenomenon that fixes so many computer problems. I have some theories on why it works, but nothing with proof.

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:42 am

Complete shut-down? Explain, please.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:26 am

We all wanna know! :D

Rorin1979

Post by Rorin1979 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:23 pm

When a program is running it requests slices of cpu gpu time and memory. When a program is closed it's SUPPOSED to return those slices to the pool. So other programs can use them. For a variety of reasons this doesn't happen all the time. So the longer your computer runs the more of these lost slices, oft called memory leaks pile up. Restarting clears them from the cycle giving your OS more to use
"Save your fork, the best is yet to come"
-Baptist Proverb.