Looking for hats!

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

4d20

Looking for hats!

Post by 4d20 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:12 pm

Hello,
I am trying to find a hat model for my character. I searched through all of the helmet model types, and they all cover her face. I'd like to know if there's maybe a cloak or something else that turns into a hat maybe? I'm going to look through other stuff. My character does not currently even have a cloak... An eye patch or something in place of the helmet would be really cool... I have helmet set to 0 currently to just get the bonuses for it. Trying to make my character look more like a pirate... Might even try out a peg-leg one day if she should get injured... :D Thanks!

Amateur Hour

Re: Looking for hats!

Post by Amateur Hour » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:33 pm

Arelith doesn't really have hats; I've heard people coming from other servers say it's the weakest part of Arelith customization. If you want to look like a pirate, I'd recommend the peg-leg (shin 14 and 15 are pegleg sets; one is the left and one is the right.)

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

4d20

Post by 4d20 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:53 pm

Yeah I kind of remember that being an issue back in the day when Amia and Arelith split. Amia used more haks and overrides. Arelith stuck to more basic stuff, but had much better RP. Overall, Arelith is still the better server imo, but Amia does have cooler customization. I was just wondering if Arelith had any hats, or plans to add hats lol...

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:13 am

4d20 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:53 pm

Yeah I kind of remember that being an issue back in the day when Amia and Arelith split. Amia used more haks and overrides. Arelith stuck to more basic stuff, but had much better RP. Overall, Arelith is still the better server imo, but Amia does have cooler customization. I was just wondering if Arelith had any hats, or plans to add hats lol...

it needs some assessment on the effect of server performance, because it is actually possible they will make a server of Arelith's size even laggier

4d20

Post by 4d20 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:04 pm

That makes sense I guess, but couldn't the same be said about the backpack mods, and finally allowing mounts and mounted combat..? I guess people like their cavaliers more than hats lol... Oh well

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:10 pm

4d20 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:04 pm

That makes sense I guess, but couldn't the same be said about the backpack mods, and finally allowing mounts and mounted combat..? I guess people like their cavaliers more than hats lol... Oh well

Hats would have to be VFXs. There's an issue which causes VFXs to overcalculate, which is why things like spell buffs influence server performance. Backpacks are part of a character model, same with horses, so they don't contribute in that way

zcr

Post by zcr » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:15 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:10 pm
4d20 wrote:

Hats would have to be VFXs. There's an issue which causes VFXs to overcalculate, which is why things like spell buffs influence server performance. Backpacks are part of a character model, same with horses, so they don't contribute in that way

Purely out of curiosity: when you say server performance do you mean player's perception of the client's performance? Or is there something about VFX that actually causes a server side performance issue? I always assumed the issue was the client VFX rendering was poorly optimized; be really interesting if it was actually causing problems on the server itself.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:32 am

zcr wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:15 pm
4d20 wrote:

Purely out of curiosity: when you say server performance do you mean player's perception of the client's performance? Or is there something about VFX that actually causes a server side performance issue? I always assumed the issue was the client VFX rendering was poorly optimized; be really interesting if it was actually causing problems on the server itself.

it causes serverside performance issues

4d20

Post by 4d20 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:54 am

Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:32 am
zcr wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:15 pm

it causes serverside performance issues

Is there anything beamdog (or steam, or some company involved in the nwn remaster) might be able to do? I'm not very knowledgeable about programming or graphics design or anything to do with video games, other than playing them. But I wonder if they could some how create hats that didn't cause the problems you mentioned, and give us all a patch to fix the issue. They seem to have been doing a good job since they released the game, as far as keeping up with the game and patching it. I quit playing for 11 months and just came back like 2 weeks ago or so. Arelith looks amazing. I can still remember old Cordor and the underdark city before the flood haha. It looks so much better now. I am loving returning to the game! Hats or no hats :D

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:05 am

4d20 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:54 am

Is there anything beamdog (or steam, or some company involved in the nwn remaster) might be able to do? I'm not very knowledgeable about programming or graphics design or anything to do with video games, other than playing them. But I wonder if they could some how create hats that didn't cause the problems you mentioned, and give us all a patch to fix the issue. They seem to have been doing a good job since they released the game, as far as keeping up with the game and patching it. I quit playing for 11 months and just came back like 2 weeks ago or so. Arelith looks amazing. I can still remember old Cordor and the underdark city before the flood haha. It looks so much better now. I am loving returning to the game! Hats or no hats :D

as far as I know no. It's just how the engine does the calculations. pretty sure changing the engine isn't really possible anymore