Request clarification on voicesets

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rescorla

Request clarification on voicesets

Post by Rescorla » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:44 pm

The Notes column in the table at this URL: https://nwn.wiki/display/NWN1/Voicesets+or+Soundsets has "Player voiceset no extra lines." for the voicesets you can select during character creation. I loaded a Wailing Death saved game and tested every V key emote. All of the V key emotes had audio scripts associated with them.

During Arelith character creation If I select a voiceset that is from the vanilla game (Wailing Death), should all of the V key voice emotes have audio scripts available to them?

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Request clarification on voicesets

Post by Inordinate » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:47 pm

Those refer to usually hidden lines of dialogue that were associated with the voiceset/voice but have no player-accessible method of playing them. The opposite of your inquiry would be Female, Maiden on that same list which has extra lines of dialogue played Tamsil in the first section of HotU.

In otherwords: if you can't play the lines by clicking the voiceset during character creation repeatedly you won't be able to use them in any way. To access EXTRA voice sets not usually available by default, such as animal/creature ones, you'll need an override such as "NPC Soundsets" on the Steam Workshop. This doesn't give existing voice sets more options, only allows other built-in voicesets to be selected. Note that a lot of these extra voicesets do NOT have dialogue or audio for most of the V-menu commands. Some have more than others while things like specific creatures only have Battlecries, attacking/being damaged grunts, a greeting, etc.

If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Rescorla

Post by Rescorla » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:01 pm

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. When I play Wailing Death every V menu choice has an audio script that plays when you select it. if I create an Arelith character that uses the same voiceset from Wailing Death, is it safe to assume that every V menu choice should play an audio script?

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:15 pm

Yes, voicesets aren't unique in that regard.

If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep