Power Word Bleed

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

WanderingPoet

Power Word Bleed

Post by WanderingPoet » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:03 am

Can anyone explain how Power Word Bleed actually works? The way it's written suggests it does more than it actually says it does.

The caster speaks a word of power upon a single target. If the target has 120 hit points or fewer, it is subject to massive bleeding, taking half of its current hit points in damage up to a maximum of 60.

So if they have >120 life, it does no damage at this stage, if they have less than it does 0-60 damage depending on their current hp

In addition to the damage, they must roll a fortitude save based on their remaining hit points (+1 to the DC at 120, +2 at 80, +3 at 60 or lower) or begin to bleed for 3d8 damage each round for 5 rounds.

Then they take 3d8 damage on a failed save, for 5 rounds (total of 15d8 damage). But you get +1 DC when between 120 and 80 life, and +2 between 80 and 60, and below 60...

But isn't it impossible to be between 60 and 120? If you were at 121 then you're still at 121, if you were at 120 you're now at 60, if you were at 100 you're now at 50.

I guess my confusion here is why the extra DCs are mentioned if it's impossible to ever have them factor in. Okay maybe if the person was at exactly 120 they'd be at exactly 60 rather than 59, but that seems a pretty negligible difference.

Is this supposed to read that is should -always- do up to 60 damage and then make the save?

For a level 7-8, doing 15d8 damage is pretty lacklustre, with a very conditional possible +60 damage so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Power Word Bleed

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:13 am

https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Power_Word:_Bleed wrote:

Spell Level(s): Hemomancer 7, Shaman 7, Sorcerer 8, Wizard 8
Innate Level: 7
School: Divination
Descriptor(s): None
Component(s): Verbal
Range: Short (8 meters)
Area of Effect / Target: Single
Duration: Instantaneous
Additional Counter Spells: None
Save(s): Fortitude
Spell Resistance: Yes

Description: The caster speaks a word of power upon a single target. If the target has 120 hit points or fewer, it is subject to massive bleeding, taking half of its current hit points in damage up to a maximum of 60. In addition to the damage, they must roll a fortitude save based on their remaining hit points (+1 to the DC at 120, +2 at 80, +3 at 60 or lower) or begin to bleed for 3d8 damage each round for 5 rounds. This spell has no effect on undead nor constructs.

I think you're right based on what is written, but it is likely done this way to account for damage immunities, resistance, or ongoing healing effects. Imagine a situation where someone has a number of damage immunity items stacked up against bleeding damage, they may fall into the 120-80 HP range.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

WanderingPoet

Re: Power Word Bleed

Post by WanderingPoet » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:40 am

Ah that makes sense. If they have 10 or 20% DI, then instead of taking 60 they'd take 54 or 48 - which'd between 80 and 60. You'd need 34%+DI to go into the next bounds.

I don't think they'd be able to heal between the time of the first damage and the save, no?

Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.