Effective Warlock Building

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Garrsi

Effective Warlock Building

Post by Garrsi » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello

I've got an idea for a Warlock in mind and the concept could fit fairly easily into either type of warlock. The problem is with the few test builds I've tried so far with both types, I'm not sure what really works best. I enjoy PvP and PvM, and I don't want to only realise at level 15 that my PC sucks at one or both.

I know Warlocks get all those nice DC based blast effects for being CHA based but since they're going to be struggling to punch above a 36DC I'm concerned what with all the +1 universal and +2 spellcraft on gear that it would just suck.

I was then toying with the idea of a DEX based warlock for the higher touch attack and AC [unlike other mages it looked to me like anything with a decent DEX score could stop a warlock cold], less focus on the effects and just more raw damage.

Back when the old warlock path was introduced I had a CON based Warlock which seemed to work great, admittedly it was a Feylock with the pure heal blast in at the time but I did wonder if it could still be viable. At the same time, I'm worried it would just be a meatwall with lame touch attack AB and crappy DC.

I feel a bit lost with this new version, not entirely sure what to do with it. Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Preacher

Re: Effective Warlock Building

Post by Preacher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:30 am

Not sure how the new version of warlocks would do in PVP. for the fey side if they get a hold or dominate off then they are akin to any other caster. the win goes to the person who acts first.(unless the person saves) For abyssal/demonic side.... ehhh. hope they fail saves for grease or a fear spell and that your summon is able to do enough damage before they get back up.

Anyone actually experienced in pvp on a warlock?
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Ecstatic

Re: Effective Warlock Building

Post by Ecstatic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Haven't done any in-server testing apart from arena matches (and these are actually a super crappy indicator of how a fight will go in actual PvP) and a lot depends on the player behind the keyboard, but looking at both warlock classes, they've got a kit I would be comfortable trying to PvP with. I think they'll do fine.

Don't get hung up on your blast effect DCs, they're just a bonus way to win.
TANSTAAFL