Looking to make a Loremaster...

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Looking to make a Loremaster...

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello, I am considering to make a wizard that could incarnate a paragon of what is supused to be a Loremaster, but that could also be playable and capable to beat any evil serial killer...

I have ZERO experience about wizard builds in NWN (I think I almost tasted every build, but arcanists)

My only requisite in order to make such a Loremaster is to keep an INT as high as posible.

Anything else, I could be thankaful if someone cogive me an imput or tips about how to do a good wizard. (better races, better feats to pick...etc) - About races I am thinking in elves, since they also have the longest lives... that helps to keep someone allowed to learn as much as posible about history and other sciences...

Thanks a lot in advance!
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Jagel

Re: Looking to make a Loremaster...

Post by Jagel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Go pure wizard, pump int, pump lore = succes. Seriously, a pure wizard with plenty int is hard to screw up. I'd go generalist if you're not familiar with the class.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 pm

No build will be able to beat any evil serial killer, unless you are just really super good at PvP. Every build has a weakness that some other build will be able to exploit.

That said, you probably want wizard or bard. It would be cool to see a Favored Soul of Oghma, but that may not meet your particular INT requirements.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Thank you Jagel and Lorkas ^^

Any imput about what arcane feats are a must and what others I should sacrifice/leave away?
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Extend spell is very handy if you're going to do any buffing, especially since it gives you spell level flexibility.

Spell focus feats in the spells you want to cast a lot. I'd also recommend divination for the RPs. Enchantment if you want to make money.

You'll get scribe scroll for free, but craft wand is quite handy to keep extra castings of certain spells handy, as well as a moneymaking avenue. Brew potion is handy for making money, but to a lesser extent than craft wand and scribe scroll (in my experience).

If you want to be taking on serial killers, I'd recommend to multiclass into something that lets you take search for getting better -investigate results and spot for beating disguises. Ranger and rogue both have both skills, and ranger also gives a bonus feat that can be spent on a GSF or ESF instead of a favored enemy.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Lorkas wrote:Extend spell is very handy if you're going to do any buffing, especially since it gives you spell level flexibility.

Spell focus feats in the spells you want to cast a lot. I'd also recommend divination for the RPs. Enchantment if you want to make money.

You'll get scribe scroll for free, but craft wand is quite handy to keep extra castings of certain spells handy, as well as a moneymaking avenue. Brew potion is handy for making money, but to a lesser extent than craft wand and scribe scroll (in my experience).

If you want to be taking on serial killers, I'd recommend to multiclass into something that lets you take search for getting better -investigate results and spot for beating disguises. Ranger and rogue both have both skills, and ranger also gives a bonus feat that can be spent on a GSF or ESF instead of a favored enemy.
Ace, thank you mate!

Thank you

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 pm

If we're talking a specific -loremaster- angling, I would concur with our statement of the earlier. Int isn't what you're wanting, it's lore; a bard fits that easy.

Obviously, one could go either way, but remember that int does not -neccesarily- correspond to lore, nor the other way mutually. You can have all the knowledge you want on locations, races, cultures, histories, artifacts, and even the famed heroes (or villains) you feel the need to preach aspiration to; but in the end, if you aren't with an untouched and unsurpassed grip to the deepest and most prevalent dark secrets to the very shaping or existence of Toril and it's neighbors by some god's touch, you're probably not of an int score that accompanies.

That said, bards make the best of loremasters, and are in fact angled to such by nature, which is perfectly doable with a low int. Now, if you're -fixated still- on int, and a -wizardry- focus to leveling, but wanting something to "smite any wrongdoer needed"....

... then you are presented with a few options, as follows (focused purely to the building perspective of matters (as best as -I- can advise)):
- Go near full wizard with a fighter pairing pre-epic portion for a few attacks extra. At least to early 20s (say 24) on the former. Evocational Foci and a few epic spells are your goal here. Crank -as much- into int -as possible- for DCs (Int, which is your goal anyway) and spell slots. Simply doing this can make no -wrong-, however you will likely not gain any points for uniqueness.
- Set Wizard for epics, similarly to last... then form some justification for assassin (research needs it's funding...). Your DCs and roundcount on paralysis will -innately- be high, skillpoints will be nigh unparralelled, you'll get your epic spells, -and- you'll -only- need to additionally invest in dex... but you -WILL- need to forgo metamagic feats to attain some requirements for the class and optimization of this (weapon finesse).
- Pureclass it. Can't go wrong there, just keep your int for the ceiling
- Go for a bardic/wizardry mix. Statspread between 3 stats would be -awful-, but... a distribution of this in 21/9 format -will- work effectively enough. Place your bardic levels pre-epic and you'll get a bit more BAB, do them after and you'll get the same skill distribution, take full advantage of your int toward those skills, -and- get to take your epic wizardry feats as if you were taking levels in it (epic spells and foci may still gained alongst some added self-boosting. This one, you'll need to play with... but it could work.
- Similar to last, but take favored soul pathings under an Oghman faith selection, and it -should- approximate out ICly... and you can wear -all- forms of armor and shield -without penalty- to your castings. Not to say I -promote- the abuse of this feature, but...
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:31 pm

DestroyerOTN wrote:If we're talking a specific -loremaster- angling, I would concur with our statement of the earlier. Int isn't what you're wanting, it's lore; a bard fits that easy.

etc...
Thanks a lot for the imputs!

Thank you