Is it Okay To RP Full blooded Orcs as a Half-Orc?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

CragOneEye

Is it Okay To RP Full blooded Orcs as a Half-Orc?

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Now I know why dev's will never introduce "orc" as a sub-race as well given current nerfs to sub-races similar to orcs, there would be no point (they would be identical to half-orc stats anyways. see thread discussion Why the gnoll nerf? for details) So here's the new question would it be Kosher to RP your half-orc as a full blooded orc if you wanted to?
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

MowerQueen

Re: Is it Okay To RP Full blooded Orcs as a Half-Orc?

Post by MowerQueen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:54 am

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm just about 100% sure that the answer is "definitely not".

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:07 am

Falls under 5%.
:)

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:10 am

So long as you are aware, as a player, that your character is what your character sheet says, you can claim to be anything. You would, in fact, not be a full blooded orc, but your character can belive they are. Why not?
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:13 am

There is orc, and then there is Orc. You cannot play a half-orc and pretend to be an orc. You can play a half-orc, however, and be a true Orc.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:33 am

Um, what Seven said. Its better advice than that crap I said. Listen to him.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 am

You can play a half orc and pretend to be a full orc all you like (mannerisms, etc). But in the end, the character IS a half orc, regardless of what the character may say.

But a half orc who thinks he is a full orc and tries to be one? Sweet! More hulking brutes are always fun!

Sazu

Post by Sazu » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:23 am

who ever thinks a half orc is human anyhow?

I rarely see a character RP the human side, nor have I ever seen any players treat half orcs as anything other than orcs.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:30 am

When it comes to race, you are what your character sheet says you are.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:54 am

Sooooo turns out Orogs are full blood orc race, albeit "deep orcs" which is good enough for me.

Sazu

Post by Sazu » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:37 am

Actually they're a cross between Orcs and Ogres

Ogrillions are also the same thing but the difference is the sex of the parents. It actually makes a difference whether the mother/father was an Orc/Ogre

Edited: Okay I looked it up and:

Orogs: Cross between a male Orc and female Ogre

Ogrillions: Cross between female Orc and male Ogre

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:02 am

Sazu wrote:Actually they're a cross between Orcs and Ogres

Ogrillions are also the same thing but the difference is the sex of the parents. It actually makes a difference whether the mother/father was an Orc/Ogre

Edited: Okay I looked it up and:

Orogs: Cross between a male Orc and female Ogre

Ogrillions: Cross between female Orc and male Ogre

That changed in 3.0/3.5

"The orogs are descended from the Skullbiters, a large tribe that lived in the Spine of the World thousands of years ago. These orcs were among the most brutal and savage warriors of the first orc horde to attack the southern lands in –3605 DR. When the horde was finally repelled, the Skullbiter orcs were cut off from their retreat to the north. Cornered between the Netherese and elven armies, the Skullbiters fled into a narrow cave at the end of a canyon. The narrow cave quickly gave way to a seemingly endless maze of caverns; the Skullbiters had discovered the Underdark. The orcs soon realized they were hopelessly lost, but they knew that their enemies would never follow them into these lightless vaults below. Whenever they came to a choice in their journey through the Underdark, they chose the route that led deeper into the ground. Eventually, the Skullbiters came to a vast underground cavern filled with a veritable jungle of phosphorescent fungi. The orcs figured they had fled long enough, and in the wan light of the fungus jungle, they decided to settle down. Over the next several thousand years, the Skullbiters spread like a plague through the deeps, often choosing caverns filled with deadly fungi or other dangerous creatures. More often than not, the orcs subjugated these creatures. In their expansions outward, the orcs also discovered numerous veins of pure metal ranging from iron to mithral. By –1000 DR, the Skullbiters had split into nearly a dozen new tribes and had grown strong indeed. Before long, the one-time orcs came to be known as orogs. With the fall of Ascalhorn, Ammarindar, and Eaerlann in the 9th century DR, the orogs found their way clear to return to the surface world. Lone orogs had long blundered up into the surface world, but they had always been isolated arrivals. Now, the orogs began to seethe up from below in greater numbers than ever. The sight of the upper world awakened a mysterious urge in their hearts. The orogs have found to their great delight that their lesser kin, the mountain orcs, are easily bullied into subservience. The vast majority of orogs still dwell in the caves below, but when the next orc horde rises it will be one the likes of which the North has never seen. The orogs have been slowly but surely supplying their less-talented kin with deep-forged weapons and armor, and more than a few mountain orc tribes are now led by orog warlords and champions."

Page 72-73 from Races of Fearun source book.
Last edited by CragOneEye on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:12 am

CragOneEye wrote:Now I know why dev's will never introduce "orc" as a sub-race as well given current nerfs to sub-races similar to orcs, there would be no point (they would be identical to half-orc stats anyways. see thread discussion Why the gnoll nerf? for details) So here's the new question would it be Kosher to RP your half-orc as a full blooded orc if you wanted to?
Clearly you can play an half-orc with a mind disorder who believes he is a true orc.

While pcs and npcs will see clearly you are an half-orc... But who cares? One can craft his own reality in his believings, so RP as an orc, act as an orc and claim your orc blood lineage to be pure... (And be haunted by other pcs :lol: )

A. Who do you think yor character is?
B. Who do others think your chaarcter is?
C. Who is really your character?

Often, A, B and C have diferent answers, as happens in real life.

All time you keep your characters believings as that (as RolePlay believings), and not pretending that were real (not from OOCly knowledge), all is ok.

EDIT: The life of a pretended orc won't be easy: Real orcs (npcs) will attack you because they will despite you as a non true blooded orc... Other half-orcs will frown at you and probably avoid you or attack you too... Not to mention the mercenaries, bounty hunters, errand knights...will hunt you too! If you do as an orc, you will become a ebast and a danegr for most settlements... and hunted... pfff... Poor orcs, they have hard lives!
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Your conclusion is right: Real monsters are very wellcome in the Underdark :)
(ATM there are many gnolls which is great. But personaly miss the orogs in the UD. So it is nice to see you thinking of playing an pure orc = orog : ) Sharp rp is very inclusive ATM so you have a free choice.)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Orogs = The Superior Orc. They are not "Half" anything, but instead an evolved Orc. The Deep Orc :)
Last edited by ActionReplay on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:37 pm

ActionReplay wrote:Orogs = The Superior Orc. They are not "Half" anything, but instead and evolved Orc. The Deep Orc :)
Basically FR version of Urak-hai from LOTR, or Black Orcs from Warhammer ayep got that impression from the paragraph I quoted :D.