Why the gnoll nerf?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

CragOneEye

Why the gnoll nerf?

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:25 am

this is more directed at the dev's just curious why they chose to give gnolls only +2 STR like half orcs instead of the +4 STR like they do have in PnP. Not complaining just curious as to line of reasoning.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Why the gnoll nerf?

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:56 am

I believe they did it towards the balance of the race with others.
I think it might do poorly if they had +4 STR as many warrior classed characters may then just become as gnolls. (Think about the ravens boom when they had +4 WIS allowing them to become soon dragons)

Not to mention you may become gnoll and pick aswell the +2 STR gift, to start as a warrior with STR 24 :twisted: (Nowaday you can become 22... good enough!)
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:24 am

I wondered if the latter was the case until realized they had that nerf since before the gift system.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:01 am

It's not a nerf because they never had +4 STR to begin with on Arelith. Arelith is sort of its own settings, I mean, Arelith killed Auril's avatar and screwed around with Myrkul's Crown.
:)

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Cortex wrote:It's not a nerf because they never had +4 STR to begin with on Arelith. Arelith is sort of its own settings, I mean, Arelith killed Auril's avatar and screwed around with Myrkul's Crown.
It's a nerf.
CragOneEye wrote:I wondered if the latter was the case until realized they had that nerf since before the gift system.
This is a bit more likely. Still, With gifts and an unnerfed starting stat, that'd be +6 STR possible... and a rather cruel ECL to go with it. Orog's received this treatment too.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:35 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:This is a bit more likely. Still, With gifts and an unnerfed starting stat, that'd be +6 STR possible... and a rather cruel ECL to go with it. Orog's received this treatment too.
Ah okay, that makes sense, considering Orogs came out first and they likely wanted to balance it out with the Orogs.

It also explains why they will never add in "Orc" as a sub race to half-orcs