hp calculation on level up question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

frightnight

hp calculation on level up question

Post by frightnight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:07 pm

when you level up and you constitution modifier is added to your hitpoints.is it the modified con or base?
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Lorkas

Re: hp calculation on level up question

Post by Lorkas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:29 pm

Modified, but HP is calculated retroactively anyway. If you add CON items then you get HP for every level.

There is no point equipping CON gear for leveling up, in other words.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:31 pm

what im asking is...on the screen after skills and feats have been assigned...my hit points gained for that level..are based on the unmodified con modifier correct?
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:12 pm

How much HP you gain at lvl up is determined by two things.
1. What class you are lvling up in.
2. What your unmodified CON modifier is.

So to answer your question. Yes, its based on your unmodified CON modifier AND the HD you get from the class you picked.
Or.
No it's also based on the HD og the class you picked ;).

Edit: There's all those other feats etc that Lorkas mentioned too.
Last edited by HurinWillSmite on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:53 pm

My advice is not to worry about that number on the level up screen. HP goes up or down dynamically when your CON changes.

All that matters is the HD of your classes, your current CON (at any given time--not the CON when you level up), feats like toughness and epic toughness, and the dauntless gift for dwarves and half-orcs.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:17 pm

frightnight wrote:what im asking is...on the screen after skills and feats have been assigned...my hit points gained for that level..are based on the unmodified con modifier correct?
Base CON, yeah.

If I have 14 CON naked, I get +2 HP per level
If I have two rings with +1 CON that give me 16 con, I stil only get +2 HP per level.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:13 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:
frightnight wrote:what im asking is...on the screen after skills and feats have been assigned...my hit points gained for that level..are based on the unmodified con modifier correct?
Base CON, yeah.

If I have 14 CON naked, I get +2 HP per level
If I have two rings with +1 CON that give me 16 con, I stil only get +2 HP per level.
Unless I am completely misreading what is being asked, this information is false.

Your HP will be (Character level times times the max value of your hit die) + (MODIFIED con modifier times character level).

So in the above example, you would get +3 HP per level.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I believe the confusion is: are we talking about base HPs or HPs including gear?

If you are talking about base HPs (as though your character were naked) then only your base CON modifier counts towards HPs.

If you are talking about a character with CON gear currently on then yes, the equipment bonuses to your CON count.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:52 am

In other words....

If you equip CON equipment before you level up, it doesn't matter.

The HP you gain from the CON equipment is dynamic. It only applies when you wear the gear, no matter when you wear it.

HP gained from gear are -never- permanent.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:22 am

^ Whoops, yeah. My earlier post was in regards to base HP. Sorry. I've been making a lot of confusing posts lately, it seems.

Gear/buffs don't affect how much you get per level up, but do count for your total HP bonus. Sidenote; if your hp is low enough, removing con gear/dispelling buffs CAN kill you.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:06 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:Sorry. I've been making a lot of confusing posts lately, it seems.
We make confusions because we are humans. And God bless that. :D We couldn't learn if we didn't.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm

I went back and re-read the question- it wasn't that confusing, I was just exhausted and being a dumb. I apologize, I was in fact misreading the question.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002