taunt AC?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

frightnight

taunt AC?

Post by frightnight » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:39 pm

what AC is a PC deprived of when taunted?
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Lorkas

Re: taunt AC?

Post by Lorkas » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:10 pm

It's a Dodge AC penalty.

This usually doesn't matter apart from that fact that it will lower the target's AC against touch attacks, and that it can fail to apply any reduction at all if the target has an AC bonus that is higher than +20.

Example: A level 26 totem druid has haste (+4 dodge AC) and uses -polymorph, gaining the +22 dodge AC bonus for a totem at that level, for a total of +26 dodge AC. However, dodge AC is capped at +20, so the totem only gets that much of a boost to his or her AC.

The character is then taunted and the difference between their concentration check and the taunt check is 6 or more (the concentration roll is lower). This applies a -6 dodge AC penalty to the totem druid, but all that does is lower the +26 dodge AC bonus to +20, which it was already capped at. If the druid was watching his/her character sheet carefully, they would see no change in AC after the taunt.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:30 pm

thanks man :)
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Off the top of my head, you loose AC from all the following sources when using taunt:

:arrow: Dexterity (without uncanny dodge)
:arrow: Mage Armor (1 AC)
:arrow: Haste: (4 AC)
:arrow: Epic Mage Armor (5 AC)
:arrow: Tumble (1-6 AC)
:arrow: Boot AC (1 AC)
:arrow: Dodge feat (1 AC)

Dexterity aside, theres no way to retain the above AC bonuses when flatfooted. There may be a few more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:47 pm

It's not that they lose AC from those sources though--a negative dodge AC appears even if you don't have any positive dodge AC bonus.

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:07 pm

I think mstrswrdsmn is saying that you loose the AC when you are taunting someone else.
NWNWiki wrote:A taunting character is flat-footed.
So you loose:
NWNWiki wrote:A flat-footed character loses his dexterity, dodge, and tumble bonuses (but not the penalty for a negative dexterity modifier) to armor class (AC)
Taunt timing makes this a smaller issue than you might think. Taunt appears in the upper left hand corner of your screen and you have to end attack mode to enact Taunt. So timing the Taunt is rather easily done when your opponent will be attacking you with their second to lowest or lowest AB. Therefore by the time they come at you with their highest AB you are back in combat mode. With the update to Expertise/Improved Expertise Taunt has become even easier to use properly, as before you had to enact your combat mode prior to returning to attack mode. Now you can stay in Imp. Exp and taunt all day long.

Taunt is amazing.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:11 am

Ah, I see now. I was confused because the OP was asking about the AC lost when taunted, not when taunting. Both are worth talking about though.