Ranger/Paladin

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

taoofbalance

Ranger/Paladin

Post by taoofbalance » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:38 pm

The Ranger/Paladin, one of my favorite builds to RP.

If I take 15 of each class, getting 4th level spells on both. What will my caster level be? 15 for each? or will they stack for a CL 30?

Will I be missing a lot if I don't go the 21 ranger levesl for Bane of Enemies?
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Ranger/Paladin

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:15 pm

You will be level 15 caster for each class spells.

You will loss the chance to get Bane of enemies (you need level 21 ranger and getting epic feat at 21 at least... more ranger levels if at 21 you were missing to get any epic feat)

I may suggest focus as paladin and keeping some paladin levels... A sort of Witch's Hunter

Something from Ranger 21-pal 9, to Ranger 27, pal 3 (I may stick with Ranger 27, pal 3)
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:39 pm

I'd personally advise a 7 paladin/23 Ranger spread

Use paladin on levels that get feats until you get Divine Might and Divine Shield

If you're going to be PvPing (Because SMITE AND CLEANSE EVIL), taking human and elf as favored enemies will see you ruining -MOST- big evils. (If you need to RP the latter on a goodly character? Simple. Drow.)

To complete your edge-adin; follow up with maxing Strength, getting 10 INT, putting 12 into CON, and the rest to Charisma, after 1 point of Wisdom

This involves mixing up levels slightly, mind you. You'll take your 4 paladin first, and then take it again on every level that gives a feat.

Details on wether you want to be a smiter or a balanced paladin? I can help further!
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Mayonnaise

Post by Mayonnaise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 pm

I've played a 18 Paladin 9 Ranger 3 Bard before. It worked really well, there are lots of ways to do the build. You will get higher attack bonus temporarily with higher or equal Paladin levels, but a higher Ranger class will net you more permanent damage if you grab Bane of Enemies. Below is a small, unofficial and likely incomplete list of class benefits.

20+ Paladin
Not much. More spells, same for ranger. Higher durations, etc.

15+ Paladin
Divine Favor Damage/AB
Aid AB
Free 150+ Lay on Hands heal

5+ Paladin
Charisma Saves, Divine Might & Shield

21+ Ranger
2d6 Damage vs. Enemies

15+ Ranger
Animal Companion
Higher Listen/Spot? vs. Enemies
Higher Stealth from Mass Camo & Company

9+ Ranger
Dual Wielding capabilities
Some Stealth buffs
Animal companion, weakish

So, if you aren't taking at least 15 levels of Paladin, take four for Divine Might & Shield. Any more than that won't be great if you don't reach the 15 mark. Ranger is useful in greater amounts, though. I'd take either 9, 15, or 21 levels of it and split it with Paladin and another class. However, it can be done with simply just the two classes.

TLDR; See above paragraph.