Multiple deities as a Paladin

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Maestro3P

Multiple deities as a Paladin

Post by Maestro3P » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:14 am

I'm currently playing a Mulhorandi that venerates multiple deities: Isis, Horus-Re and Osiris. Currently a sorcerer (Weave Master), I intend to have him take paladin levels as well.

My question is: is it RP-wise acceptable that a character worships Isis (through the Deity-book, a deity of the Magic aspect), takes levels as a paladin of Horus-Re and venerates Osiris on the side.

Normally, I enjoy characters that pay homage to multiple deities, but never before have I made them a paladin of one of them :)

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Multiple deities as a Paladin

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:24 am

From my perspective and unless there were a mechanical barrier and as long as those deities are allied, compatible and in the same board, I don't find anything wrong on that if your RP were consistent.

Arelith Wiki wrote:All Divine Classes (Clerics, Paladins, Rangers, Druids and Blackguards) must be one of the cleric alignments of that deity. Cleric alignments usually include those alignments one step away from the deity's alignment. In addition, these classes can only select non-specified race deities or deities that belong to the character's race. Half-orcs can worship deities of both orc and human pantheons. Half-elves can worship deities of both human and elf pantheons. Note that these restrictions apply to Blackguards, Rangers and Paladins even if they are not of a high enough level to cast any divine spells.

Notable exceptions: Paladins can select Sune or Corellon Larethian as their patron deity; if a character has a paladin level in these two gods, they may then take cleric levels in them as well, despite being outside their normal alignment restrictions. Gift of Unique Favor allows a religious classed PC to ignore race restrictions.
As your chosen deity is Isis and she allows paladins as includes these alignments available for her worshipers: CG, LG, NG, you should be good.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:23 am

My understanding of the Paladin is that they are devoted to a single deity normally, but it seems reasonable that an allied pantheon could be the object of devotion too, especially if the paladin is a defender of that pantheon's race or group as a whole. So I think it makes complete sense to actively worship the whole pantheon. I would just selected the chief deity of the pantheon as the mechanically chosen god. I have done the same with a dwarf monk character of mine, who is equally devout, who worships the whole of the Morndinsamman.

On a side note, just because a character worships one god, doesn't mean they just ignore all the others. Faerun people are overwhelmingly pantheistic, and although they might have one deity they pray to more than others, still offer prayers to the proper god under the circumstances. A paladin of Tyr wouldn't be barred from offering a small sacrifice to Valkur before a voyage, for example. In that sense, a paladin could 'worship' whoever alongside their chosen patron.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:24 pm

From an RP perspective, Paladin's follow the Divine Law of their God/Goddess. Following two would likely lead to a conflict there.

Maestro3P

Post by Maestro3P » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:19 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:From an RP perspective, Paladin's follow the Divine Law of their God/Goddess. Following two would likely lead to a conflict there.
I expect and look forward to that :)

Anyway, thanks for the replies all.

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:31 pm

Maestro3P wrote:
JediMindTrix wrote:From an RP perspective, Paladin's follow the Divine Law of their God/Goddess. Following two would likely lead to a conflict there.
I expect and look forward to that :)

Anyway, thanks for the replies all.
Yes! Internal conflict! Some of the best RP can come out of that.