Will golems get a boost?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Will golems get a boost?

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:01 pm

With the new rework of summons, I wonder if golems will get a boost. As it sits now, they are easily destroyed above mid-level and hard to keep alive/working. Considering all the work and feats that go into creating them I find them rather disappointing ... I am curious if they will become worth it for anyone above level 16 or so.
Last edited by Rattus_norvegicus99 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Griefmaker

Re: Will golems get a boost?

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:35 pm

I sure hope so myself. I honestly have always thought it sad that something that is so cool, requires a good deal of devotion and effort, potentially bring about RP (the crafting, buying/selling of golems, having a studly dwarf walk about with two of the monstrosities after him), is easily outclassed by a long-lasting spell which every joe and jane caster can easily get.

Now if the golems grew in level with the creator (simulating them constantly tinkering and improving them) that would be awesome! Whereas any sold would retain a fixed level, whatever the lowest might be, though anyone can use them as they do now. It would give a lot more incentive to be a golem crafter, make them, and use them!

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Originally, they were usable by lowbie chars. That /was/ useful. Still useful in some PvE areas where the monsters can't do a thing against it.

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:34 pm

they are unlocked at 15, they shouldn't be to overly good. I believe they are rather good. I can use them at any stage, if I am in a pinch. They server their purpose.

P.S. I'd be afraid to make them much better considering you can have two of them, as they are rather powerful as is. SOLO'ing and how does this help RP comes to mind.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:14 pm

It would be nice if the Bone Golems weren't frankly pathetic strength-wise and only good for Visuals (IF you come across someone who doesn't just go 'pff' at them).
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:47 pm

zeylin17 wrote: P.S. I'd be afraid to make them much better considering you can have two of them, as they are rather powerful as is. SOLO'ing and how does this help RP comes to mind.
I agree that they can be quite useful in the earlier stages when you can get them, especially with two. But how does this help RP? Golems, unlike the far more powerful summons which offer zero RP in general and actually do easily facilitate soloing, at least usually require some aid and interaction from others to craft them. Plus they can be a commodity to be traded. And a caster who has a golem that can "grow" with him would be a far more interesting thing to see wandering about than one of a zillion elementals behind the casters, which might encourage more to interact with them and ask about it. "Holy metal-butt, batman, is that an adamantine golem behind you?"

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:16 pm

behold the mini mecha! It grows with you. :)

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:38 pm

zeylin17 wrote:behold the mini mecha! It grows with you. :)
I totally forgot about that thing...

Shut up Zeylin, you are bursting my bubbles! :lol:

*goes off grumbling, and kicks that cat all because of Zeylin*

P.S. I still prefer my thoughts with the golems though!

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:52 am

Because Zeylin plays half orcs, he no likes golems because they be taller than his chars ... *nods nods*

Skype Arelith.rat

Gaz2315

Post by Gaz2315 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:23 am

Golem's I believe should be stronger to match whats out there, but there should be a catch... I am thinking Gnome races such as Rock and Svirfneblins should be able to create better and more powerful Golems as long as they still have greater Transmutation of course.
Due to Gnomes are mainly about technology, rapidly accepting and absorbing new inventions into their society all the time. Does it not make sense that they should be the race that can create dangerous Golems.

Well if not given the option to create better Golems normally, how about a new path... This path would be called the Inventors Path, only for Gnomes that can create stronger Golems as they gain in level..
The down fall for being a Inventive Gnome that you will not be able to use weapons of any kind and unable to cast conjuration spells.
Death becomes you

Urch

Post by Urch » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:44 am

Another idea is, there could be a new crafting tree related to golems or mechanical creatures. Tinkering or something. With ranks in it, you can boost or alter the golems in certain ways. This whole thing could be new avenue of interesting mechanics to explore.

Craftable Minogons anyone?
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:09 am

If anything, the new summon changes need to be nerfed.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by RED GANOT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:34 am

When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:03 am

If the Golems get a buff. It's probably necessary to limit the number of golems one can control to one at a time. And yeah. Not to help derail the thread but.. yeah.. The companions/Familiars probably need a second look so they're not so powerful.

I mean... epic dodge on a lvl three familiar is a bit gamebreaking.

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:27 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:If anything, the new summon changes need to be nerfed.

They're really not that strong. They probably "should" be moved to epic focus conjuration though. I imagine they would be incredible for someone just now unlocking level 9 spells. I sadly got them at 21 Wizzy - so they have been pretty useless to me for anything over 10xp per kill. For a just-now-getting 9th circle though? Oh my.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:16 am

HurinWillSmite wrote:If the Golems get a buff. It's probably necessary to limit the number of golems one can control to one at a time. And yeah. Not to help derail the thread but.. yeah.. The companions/Familiars probably need a second look so they're not so powerful.

I mean... epic dodge on a lvl three familiar is a bit gamebreaking.
To side train my own thread - the new familiars are set up to SURVIVE, but really don't help in combat. They're purely support now, but are not so delicate that arcanists can have them out and work with them rather than having to hide them away 99% of the time and only have them out in town or other safe areas.

On my crazy, fire-happy goblin, I love him being able to have his imp follow him around. Is he good in combat? Heck no .. he does, at most 2 damage on a crit, but its great RP wise to be able to fuss and yell at the imp, and send him forward into traps and such.

Personally I love the new familiars - its wonderful to be able to use them and not worry so much.

And - I agree totally with Griefmaker - for all the work that goes into golem making, I sure hope they get a boost of some kind. I rarely see them anymore.

Skype Arelith.rat