Random encounters?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Madukthedoppelganger

Re: Random encounters?

Post by Madukthedoppelganger » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:25 pm

Personally, I like how the spawns linger. I already got to save a traveler from a giant spider (that, er, I myself had spawned a bit earlier). But I am biased, since I am not the one getting slaughtered unless I encounter a dragon, in which case I will be hinning the nearest dragonslayer.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:40 pm

6 Roadside beggars in the near to the Myon Mythal entry... :P
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Thake

Post by Thake » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Random encounter you can't handle? Call 0800-"Road Bro's"

Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:09 pm

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:59 pm

I don't know if its doing this already, but it'd be cool if the script had a good base of non-hostile npcs to spawn like caravans, escaping prisoners, traveling npcs, etc. Ie: not everything that fires up will eat your face off.

From what i've -seen-, everything that is spawning is grossly stronger than everything else in the area. I have yet to spawn a dragon, but the stuff i triggered would definately cause issues for lower-level players in the area, but close to where Mifune was.

Except the gargoyles. Those hurt. Horribly. 45-55 sneak damage per hit after swooping down out of nowhere with high AB? That hurt. Even without sneaks, they still hit for 20-some damage a hit.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Syrima wrote:What if there was an NPC in each settlement who reported sightings.

Monster spawns somewhere (happens when someone is already on the road)
After a while the NPC reports scouts have sighted the monster along such road.
Players can avoid it if they can't handle it, or go for it to clear the roads and make it safe.
It's still a random encounter for the person who initially spawns it.
I like this idea, and would prefer it to monsters despawning- but I'm biased, as I play a character who as part of his job patrols the roads near wharftown to keep the bandit and minotaur populations trimmed down.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 pm

DESPAIR, ARELITHIANS! ALDUIN, THE WORLD-EATER HAS RETURNED!!

Sorry. A simple suggestion, if I may? Make it so the Dragons that spawn randomly don't have knockdown pulse or fear aura.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:53 pm

I have a question:

Is it okay if there is IC justification or reason to kill the "non-hostile" NPCs, like the spawned roadside beggars? Or are they under the same rule that goes with the regular NPCs of "do not do it without DM approval"?

I am asking because my character has a very good reason to chase them off "violently", plus one even threw a punch at him (might have been DM controlled, but either way it was pure gold).

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:51 am

Can we please tone down the Dragon's? They're supposed to be near mythic (which they already weren't really before), and apparently uber one's are spawning everywhere willy nilly silly. Not sure if this is related but Demon's keep spawning in the Underdark Peninsula and one or two-shotting adventuring lowbies... which is discouraging. Thematically, demon's spawning everywhere does not make sense to me either, unless this is part of a DM plot or something.

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:57 am

Maybet he dragons should just be Wyvrens

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Syrima wrote:Maybet he dragons should just be Wyvrens
That's a good idea, but Wyvern's Poison is basically low-level character death in the one-shot, or two-shot variety... neither of which are particularly fun.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:21 pm

That isn't really worse than dragons are to a low level, unless I'm missing something.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:21 pm

Exactly my point lol

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Griefmaker wrote:I have a question:

Is it okay if there is IC justification or reason to kill the "non-hostile" NPCs, like the spawned roadside beggars? Or are they under the same rule that goes with the regular NPCs of "do not do it without DM approval"?

I am asking because my character has a very good reason to chase them off "violently", plus one even threw a punch at him (might have been DM controlled, but either way it was pure gold).
I think they are encounters to deal in the same way as if you found monsters (if you are an evil one)...

And unless the said beggars were close to npc guardians... :twisted:
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:20 pm

I've no issue whatsoever with anyone attacking the spawned NPCs in this system, though I'm sure most of my characters would.

The 'Wounded Noble' for instance, is pretty much a walking opportunity for such actions.

Anyway, just back from a brief holiday, and a 5 hour drive. When my energy returns I'll look into adjusting those pesky beggars.

I'm not going to rolling out this system across the servers until I've made all necessary adjustments to those locations it is already used, and even then it will take time. This is an extremely labour intensive process...

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Irongron wrote:I've no issue whatsoever with anyone attacking the spawned NPCs in this system, though I'm sure most of my characters would.

The 'Wounded Noble' for instance, is pretty much a walking opportunity for such actions.

Anyway, just back from a brief holiday, and a 5 hour drive. When my energy returns I'll look into adjusting those pesky beggars.

I'm not going to rolling out this system across the servers until I've made all necessary adjustments to those locations it is already used, and even then it will take time. This is an extremely labour intensive process...
If the beggars had option to give them one or some coins to make them go away, that may sufice and be wonderful for RP aswell. (and maybe a lesser spam...there are armies of beggars XD)

Thank you

Ils ne passeront pas

Post by Ils ne passeront pas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:04 am

I think the frequency the encounters fire could use a tweak too, and perhaps an adjustment of the chance of spawning something. I was at Minmir (I've encountered something outside the Temple of Bane every time I've gone there since this went in), spawned a hostile creature, turned invisible to buff, and without moving spawned a second copy of the same creature. That could probably easily kill someone at low levels or epics if they spawn something tough enough.
"Tell me Man; Is there not one in all your ranks? Is there no one who values courage over life?"

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:32 am

The Man of the Moon wrote:
If the beggars had option to give them one or some coins to make them go away, that may sufice and be wonderful for RP aswell. (and maybe a lesser spam...there are armies of beggars XD)
A change went in last night, they'll vanish if you tell them to move on, or offer them enough gold.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 am

I kind of liked the invasion of beggars. Since adventurers make their wealth by taking it from monsters and bandits. Bandits and monsters had to get their gold somewhere. Logically Arelith should be over flooded with people who have lost everything.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:52 am

Irongron wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:
A change went in last night, they'll vanish if you tell them to move on, or offer them enough gold.
Waves and bows

Thank you

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:12 pm

I brought out my elf and got ambushed by a greater grave worm while on the way to wharftown. After being diseased, I fled headlong down the road, where I watched a graverobber kill a farm cat before turning his attention to me. Reaching the pass of despair, I ran headlong into a platoon of wharftown boys, where I was killed instantly by a volley of arrows. I laughed pretty hard.

10/10 would roam alone again.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:51 pm

How rare exactly are dragons? I've almost seen one a day so far.
JediMindTrix wrote:
Syrima wrote:Maybet he dragons should just be Wyvrens
That's a good idea, but Wyvern's Poison is basically low-level character death in the one-shot, or two-shot variety... neither of which are particularly fun.
Dragon fear or Kd = low player death to with a bigger range. At least wyvrens are really easy to kite because of their flying animation.

vaclavc

Post by vaclavc » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:31 pm

No if you run into ten of them, as I did with my lowbie while travelling to Guldorand :-)
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:50 am

Maybe the beggars could offer hearth and home deity followers a small piety boost for giving them coin as well? Just a thought.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:58 am

KregorRanger wrote:Maybe the beggars could offer hearth and home deity followers a small piety boost for giving them coin as well? Just a thought.
While this may be great, then what happen with other faiths?

I suggested once thatn kill undead gave some extra piety to lathandarites and kelemvorites... Got refused. The reason I guess behind that is, that they may start to give those little perks and never end as there may be always that little thing "this should give faith to..."

But I like the idea.

Thank you