Logging in

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Logging in

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:48 am

Hi,

I have the problem again where it says all the servers are down (even though the portal shows otherwise and other players tell me it is up) and I can't login.

Does anyone remember how to fix this? (I think it was Lorkas that came to the rescue last time for me to change a number in a nwndocument but I don't want to break anything...again).

Thank you,
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Logging in

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:52 am

You're connecting to "game.arelith.com:512X", correct?
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:53 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:You're connecting to "game.arelith.com:512X", correct?
Yup, everything is showing itself as down. Even FL.
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:54 am

http://wiki.arelith.com/Port

Is this what you were looking for?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:00 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:http://wiki.arelith.com/Port

Is this what you were looking for?
:/ Apparently not. I just tried it and its still not working. The servers appear for a bit but say 0/0.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:04 am

Have you tried flushdns?

I'm just spitballing, now.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:06 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:Have you tried flushdns?

I'm just spitballing, now.
I don't know what that means. When it comes to computer stuff the options are: explain it like you would to someone living in the dark ages or talk me through it like you would someone living in the dark ages.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:22 am

Okay. First, you're going to need to invent the wheel. To do this, find a large piece of stone, and...

1. Go to the start menu and open the command prompt by typing "cmd" in the search bar, and selecting it from the available options. (I'm assuming you're on Windows 7)
2. In the command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns", and press enter.

Then try logging in again.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:28 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:Okay. First, you're going to need to invent the wheel. To do this, find a large piece of stone, and...

1. Go to the start menu and open the command prompt by typing "cmd" in the search bar, and selecting it from the available options. (I'm assuming you're on Windows 7)
2. In the command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns", and press enter.

Then try logging in again.
Nothing. If it helps, only Arelith servers are down. Kash's builder is up.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:36 am

My suggestion is that you get Lorkas's phone number, and text message the problem to him.

In the meantime, however, I would be remiss if I didn't ask whether you've rebooted your system.

Also, change your port again, just to make sure you didn't get really unlucky with your choice.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:52 am

Alright so I restarted the computer only to have it tell me that windows isn't compatible with it causing the game to lock up when I tried to open it and the whole thing to shut down and need to 'start windows normally.'

:/ I always break it. Thank you for trying though.

Could it be because I haven't done that login work around that gets you past the master server? I always just wait.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:30 am

Alright so after trying 800 times, Surface showed itself as 34/96 and opened the character login page but finished with a black screen.

EDIT: Progress - everything is reading as 'server found' but it fails to connect because it says that the server is timed out.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am

Go to your nwmain.exe in your folder.

Right click, properties. Find: always run as Admin and tick that box

Then find: compatibility mode and change to Windows XP SP2/3

Make sure shiny water is off, too.
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:22 am

LittleWeasel wrote:Go to your nwmain.exe in your folder.

Right click, properties. Find: always run as Admin and tick that box

Then find: compatibility mode and change to Windows XP SP2/3

Make sure shiny water is off, too.
All done. It was working perfectly seven hours ago.

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:34 am

try this, if only just to humor me.

make a new shortcut to nwn. right click it. go to properties. and find the line.

"Target" no quotes.

paste this in the line at the end of that directory. it will be
C:\yadayadayadyada.exe +connect portal.arelith.com:5124 make sure there is a space after the exe. good luck!

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:37 am

zeylin17 wrote:try this, if only just to humor me.

make a new shortcut to nwn. right click it. go to properties. and find the line.

"Target" no quotes.

C:\yadayadayadyada.exe +connect portal.arelith.com:5124 make sure there is a space after the exe. good luck!
It says it isn't valid.

Alright /now/ everytime I wait a little bit one of the three servers changes from 0/0 255-255 and a ping of -1 to the actual stats but when I try to login to it all the servers show as down and it tells me the server timed out.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:45 am

zeylin17 wrote:try this, if only just to humor me.

"Target" no quotes.

Okay, this has gotten me to the loading page "Cordor (docks)" but it doesn't open the area.

EDIT: Alright, I am on surface lagging very very hard and unable to go to Cordor. So confused.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 am

*Sigh* The portal shows me as on but the lag is about 8 seconds and the tick doesn't hit.

This doesn't appear to be completely on my end then. I can log into Kash's builder and it works fine.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:59 pm

If your end is fine (which it seems to be, as you can connect to other modules) and my end is fine (which it seems to be, as nobody else is having an issue) then the problem is in the middle - with your ISP. It's possible they're trying to block or filter traffic to Arelith. What ISP are you on, and in what region? Would be interesting to know if any other players have similar issues.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:00 pm

I spoke with the ISP and they have no idea why it isn't working for me since apparently it is working for them. It isn't blocked and has no policy change but they have their techs looking into it (So far we've reset the IP and Ping'd the server none of which helped.)

-S

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Mithreas wrote:Would be interesting to know if any other players have similar issues.
That reminded me that I did have an issue somewhat similar to this, a few months back. It turned out to be a problem with the DSLAM.

Run this and post your results. I'm specifically interested in packet loss. Don't worry, it's easy to use and everything is labeled.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:24 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Mithreas wrote:Would be interesting to know if any other players have similar issues.
That reminded me that I did have an issue somewhat similar to this, a few months back. It turned out to be a problem with the DSLAM.

Run this and post your results. I'm specifically interested in packet loss. Don't worry, it's easy to use and everything is labeled.
The link is only showing me America but the term Packet came up during the Ping test and it said there was 100% loss, if that helps.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:36 pm

That's probably your firewall blocking anonymous requests. Not something I'd be able to walk you through. You could try www.pingtest.net, but it will most likely have the same issue.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:49 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:That's probably your firewall blocking anonymous requests. Not something I'd be able to walk you through. You could try http://www.pingtest.net, but it will most likely have the same issue.
Same issue.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Try disabling your firewall for a moment and see if that makes a difference, and if it does, you may have to change your firewall settings specifically for NWN and stuff :)
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*