Warlock Building

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Anime Sword Fighter

Re: Warlock Building

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:PvP wise, if a warlock only has an AB in the low 20s, would they be effective against cha-based builds with Divine Might, who can pump their AC and be in the 40s without Armour?

edit: low 40s might be pushing it, but mid 30s.
I'm assuming that the AC would count towards their touch AC?
If it's low 30s, it's possible to beat them with the spells alone.

But at this point, the warlock would probably lose anyway due to the melee-oriented fighting of most of those builds. Unless they can get away from them to be able to cast without provoking more attacks.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Divine Shield is dodge AC, so if a CHA-based character can achieve 40-ish AC without armor, then the warlock would find them pretty hard to hit.

Mind, the ranged touch attack only applies when directly targeting a character. Some AoEs (Slow, the Confusion Cloud thingie, etc.) can be targeted at a character's feet, and they must make the save against it without AC getting in the way.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:05 am

Looks similar to my build.

I'd consider more strength for carrying capacity. It feels a silly reason to invest strength, but eh. Alternatively, you could try to 5% weight reduce the plate, but that's a pain.

Quicken spell is definitely a must, so you can blast twice a round. Take it if you haven't.

Silent spell is also worth considering. Quickened Lesser Dispel -> Silenced Greater Dispelling gives you a beautiful answer to silence, in that you can dispel the effect without missing a beat.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am

Peppermint wrote: I'd consider more strength for carrying capacity. It feels a silly reason to invest strength, but eh. Alternatively, you could try to 5% weight reduce the plate, but that's a pain.
This is never a silly reason. Having less than 10 strength is awful, less than 12 and you don't have that wonderfully even 100lb capacity.

jp.ping14

Post by jp.ping14 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:53 am

Consider blind fight when focusing on RTAs. I have seen in combat logs that RTA fails at a concealment roll... though as with blindfight helping with that, I am unsure.

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 am

Coreybush11 wrote:
Peppermint wrote: I'd consider more strength for carrying capacity. It feels a silly reason to invest strength, but eh. Alternatively, you could try to 5% weight reduce the plate, but that's a pain.
This is never a silly reason. Having less than 10 strength is awful, less than 12 and you don't have that wonderfully even 100lb capacity.
To use plate you'd have reduced Armour Spell Failure on all your other gear, since if I recall correctly it applies to the character rather than item to which it is applied and also stacks. But you could easily fit 10% weight, +1 Charisma, -20% ASF onto fullplate with ESF Enchantment and a bit of luck I think.

And with Bull's Strength, getting 10, 12 or 13 Strength is very easy. In general 100-110 lbs of carrying capacity is quite enough to carry an adventure's loot.

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:17 am

I completely agree with the minimum 12 strength. Below that and you can't carry much of anything. Sure the bulls helps but as it is my warlock has 2 pages if items (ish) and is REQUIRED to keep bulls on to be able to move normally.... I'd rather not have the spell be required, but something that is just optional.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.