What are your thoughts when you see powerbuilds in game?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

What are your thoughts when you see powerbuilds in game?

Post by Twily » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:21 am

I've found myself a bit paranoid lately about how others will see certain character types in game, and how they react to them.

For example I've heard people seem to say they'd avoid a "special snowflake" character.

So my question for you. If you see a level 10 critical hit 100 damage, would you immediately assume it's a powerbuild, power player or anything like this? Would how you react to this character change at all?
Feel free to PM me your response, I won't judge at all. A player told me I probably have nothing to worry about, so I just want to confirm or deny this.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: What are your thoughts when you see powerbuilds in game?

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:25 am

Innocent as the question may be, I can't see this going anywhere but a disastrous direction, as an open discussion on a loosely moderated forum.

I really think this is a question better asked person to person.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:34 am

I tend to find my RP and who I RP with ruled by what my character would willingly associate with. Seeing someone crit for 100 would impress them on their ability to Cut Someone in Half as opposed to being all 'This guy OBVIOUSLY is building for mechanical proficiency, insert avoidance!'

An example of mechanics that Would make most of my characters avoid someone? If they summoned a fiend (see BG or warlock) because they are morally opposed to summoning agents of Evil or working with those that would.

IC is IC, if they act like morally bankrupt murderers that happen to crit for 100 then you can probably expect some people Loving you and others not. If they are decent folk that crit for 100, then you are likely to draw in decent characters who want allies again the Floods of Bad News the island has.

I honestly don't mind 'special snowflakes' as long as they have personalities and make canonical sense. Drow celestial fiend catgirl lesbians are stretching it, in otherwords.

Edit: Seeing the comment directly below, I can only conclude that my example isn't the Only thing stretching it. By all means, do not let me stop you from making the dive for the sake of humor.
Last edited by Dinosaur Space Program on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:48 am

Dinosaur Space Program wrote: Drow celestial fiend catgirl lesbians are stretching it

Also, When I see power builds I kinda shrug. Everything has a weakness, you just have to know how to counter it. A level 10 critting for 100 *shrug* Easy enough to reproduce on a few weapons. I like to see other's builds and see how I can look at my own and edit them based on what a lot of people are playing.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:02 am

Its hard to tell whats a power build sometimes and what isn't. Completely ignore what other players say and figure out for yourself whether or not you want to rp with someone.

A lot of times, characters aren't so much powerbuilt as they are specalized; the more specalized someone is, the more they have to play to the builds strength in order to be effective. The "level 100 critting for 1000 damage" for example. They probably have a huge, crippling flaw, if not several. Don't jump to conclusions and react appropriately in an IC manner.

Also, player skill plays a huge role in how effective someone is. A skilled player with an average ish build can come across as being "powerbuilt" without...well. Being powerbuilt. Don't jump to conclusions. And frankly; if they're fun to play with, who gives a crap?

Also; sometimes its funny. I remember watching a newly-releveled paladin at level 15-17 smith-punch a level 30 to death with two hits. Tells were already being sent between bystanders expecting the paladin to die a terrible, horrible death (this was back when character levels were visible on the login screen. EVERYONE knew what level everyone else was)...and immedietly have a "...wtf did we just see?" reaction when the two-punch-death happened. It was hilarious, and said character became feared by team evil icly.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 am

I would tend to agree with TRM. This thread is going to go nowhere but downhill.

That being said, I sigh and shrug when I see people who take strength>RP. Arelith is a roleplay server, and while pvp is part of roleplay those who devote their entire character to being "the best" sadden me, as I believe it takes away from everyone else.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:43 am

U wot m8?

Il rek u il get on my bclerc and ul b sry m8

real tho, stop caring about what other people do and care about what YOU do
:)

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:04 am

Well, thank you all for the replies. I do agree this thread could spiral downhill, and I knew that when I made it, but I wanted to fully get rid of my concerns since they've been bugging me longer than they should have been.

This thread can be locked if the devs want to do so, As I've gotten the answer I seek from it

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:42 am

I care a lot more about quality of RP than quality of build. I don't care whether people powerbuild or gimp their builds, so long as they RP well.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.