Deity of Reconciliation

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mindcraft

Deity of Reconciliation

Post by Mindcraft » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 am

I've looked through the deity list on the Forgotten Realms wiki but couldn't really find anything.

What could be a deity for a true neutral character who seeks to erase all that is extreme?

That means, evil-doers as well as paladins and similar personalities. Basically, the idea is to create a society of equal chances living in peace. The character sees himself as a knight of equality and good sense.

So, ideas?
A bird sings not because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.

Anime Sword Fighter

Re: Deity of Reconciliation

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:32 am

Malar for the hunting and pseudo-nature balancey thing might work

You don't have to follow a deity's dogma to its exactness if you aren't a cleric/paladin

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:17 am

Most of the good aligned deities would probably fit the description, Illmater in particular comes to mind, provided your character isn't a cleric of course.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Lathander can arguably have a good dose of that too. To face each new day afresh, not to hold on to the grudges of yesterday....

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:48 pm

There are many paladins of Lathander, a fact that would complicate what the OP is trying to achieve with their character. Especially seeing as Lathander mandates the destruction of undead, and has enemy deities of the opposite alignment.

Similarly, Ilmater is part of the Triad with Torm and Tyr. Triadists don't reconcile with those of evil faiths. They only engage in redemption or conversion.

Malar is the god of bestial bloodlust. He has a contempt for all aspects of civilization, and encourages his followers to hunt and slay captives. I really don't see how anyone can derive "reconciliation" from his outlook, let alone someone trying to create a new egalitarian society.

While I totally wish to see a character engaged in the misguided mission of reconciling faiths and philosophies fundamentally opposed to one another, no deity or power comes to mind that would support this endeavor.

The closest organization I can think of is the Monks of the Yellow Rose, who are renowned diplomats and mediators and who seek peaceful resolutions to many conflicts. Edit: That said, those monks are Ilmaterites and will inevitably be biased towards Ilmater's philosophy.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Selune?
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:52 pm

A heretical follower of Silvanus could work. Alternatively, Grumbar.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

Mindcraft

Post by Mindcraft » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:17 pm

The core here is the true neutral part. I thought about Hoar, but he seems a bit too sinister and evil... despite his alignment. Also, he's an exarch of Bane!

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Thinking about it, perhaps a question to ask is:

Why does your character want equality and 'good sense'

Because really, this is going to be a difficult thing to pull off, and pull off without sounding... very modern and smug, if that makes sense?

There are quite a few gods who suit characters who fall along a neutral path, but I think a lot of it depends on what sort of neutrality they're after.

For Example.

"I just want to go along with my life, earn some gold for myself, and to hells with the rest of these mad crazy people." - Waukeen
"I just think people should be nice and kind to each other, I don't want any confict what so ever. I don't want to be part of any fighting!" - Illmatur
"Why are people fighting? We could learn. Learning and studying knowledge is the path to true enlightenment, not this bawdy fuss making!" - Oghma.
"I don't care who I fight! I just like fighting! Devils! Angels! It makes no difference, so long as I get to test the mettle of my blade!" - Tempus
"Good and evil have no meaning to the purity of nature. Things are. As they Are. A wolf is not evil for it's desire to devour the lamb. The Lamb is not good for it's lack of ability to defend itself. There is merely nature" - Silvanus (?)

See what I mean?

The problem with the above, is whilst there are certainly some people/creatures is how to you justify 'living in equality and good sense' when over the hill you've Kobolds murdering men, women and children just because.. well. It's tuesday? The argument you put works fine for the real world, but not quite sure how well it can be used in a fantasy world.

Honestly, if he/she does seek to erase all that is extreme, then I'd say your very best god would be... none at all. Seeing as most gods are, by nature, forces for extreems. Even if that extreem is in a direction of neutrality, it can still push them down a certain path.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Mindcraft wrote:The core here is the true neutral part. I thought about Hoar, but he seems a bit too sinister and evil... despite his alignment. Also, he's an exarch of Bane!
That's 4th edition lore, there's no such things as exarchs at this point in time and both Tyr and Bane are trying to win Hoar over to their side as Hoar has a similar portfolio to both.

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Selune might be a problematic choice, given that Sharrans and Selunites tend to be overtly hostile to one another. It's a really hard question, admittedly. All gods have a core dogma to which they expect their followers to be committed, and they are usually expected to oppose people who have taken a stance that is antithetical to that dogma.

It doesn't sound like you're looking for a character that wants everyone to get along, though, and more like you want a character who thinks all moral extremes are equally dangerous, and opposes them forcefully. There is no deity for this, but your character could worship a deity with no alignment-related dogma.

Edited to address YMA: I would agree on all you listed there except Ilmater. An Ilmateri who welcomes torturers, slavers, and tyrants into the big happy tent of getting-along-ness without attempting to fundamentally change who they are has betrayed every core principle of their faith. Remember, there's a huge difference betwen offering evil a chance at redemption and embracing it when it doesn't change. Ilmateri have a great capacity to forgive when redemption is earnestly sought, but little capacity for tolerating unremediated cruelty. It's not a faith that does moral apathy well; both the compassion for the weak and infirm and the outrage at tyrants and oppressors imply a serious level of moral passion.
TANSTAAFL

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Eldath, who is the goddess of peace, would also advocate neutrality in the peace and harmony sense. Her followers are also pacifists, so it may not fit the knight of equality concept you're looking for.

Selune does advocate personal equality, and tolerance, but her enmity with Shar and every one of the Gods of Fury do push a good number of her followers into an extreme form of her faith. There is, however, a large contingent of followers who are much more even minded.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Selunites can actually be quite militant. The Church of Selune raised a crusader army to fight the Sothisillian Horde in Amn, for the sake of reclaiming cities taken by the ogre magi's army.

They're also rather partisan in many conflicts. Eternal emnity against Sharrans aside, they champion good-aligned lycanthropes over evil-aligned ones.

Even Eldath has foes, as Eldath is the protector of druid groves and embodies stillness and peace. The bloodlust of Malar and the cruelty of Loviatar makes both them both her enemies.

Really, one would be hard-pressed to find a deity that would champion the cause of neutral reconciliation and absolutist rejection of any "extreme" elements, whether those elements are for good or for ill.

You can try worshiping the mysterious Ao, the Overgod. Just don't expect anything at all along the lines of divinely-granted spells or other support, as Ao has never once recognized any of his self-declared worshipers.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Arelith does not need multiculturalism. Arelith does need more conflict.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Eldath does have other faiths opposed to her, yes, but she also has an unwavering stance of pacifism, (not passivism, as there is a difference). There will be conflict, which arises out of how you will react to those who oppose you and still maintain your goddess' dogma. And on that note...
What_Evil_Lurks wrote:Arelith does not need multiculturalism. Arelith does need more conflict.
In the end, this. The entire plot rationale for faith on Toril is to foster conflict. It's why there are faith rivals for every other faith. You are meant to oppose them, even if you only do it passively.

jp.ping14

Post by jp.ping14 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Why have a deity when you can be godless. =D

Well, it will kinda nerf you down a bit due to the mechanical advantages of god saves. But you can live without one.

Check the consequences of following no god.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:16 pm

jp.ping14 wrote:Why have a deity when you can be godless. =D
Because then you're missing out on a free reason to hate other people.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The Pretty Prince of Parties

Post by The Pretty Prince of Parties » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:04 am

I would say Nobanion, but he has a sworn enemy in Malar - other than that, his faith includes such paraphrased gems as "Live and let live", "Love thy neighbor - unless they wage war on you and yours, then crush them" and "Don't convert people by force. Lead by example."

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:02 am

Toril. If it fits with your character's point of view and morality, then I could see the worship of Toril as Faerun's equivalent of Humanism. The idea that protection of the humanoid races is paramount, and that, while some milder religions may be non-threatening, the majority of them, whether good or evil, lawful or chaotic, have a detrimental effect, because they turn people against each other. It could even extend into behavior with excessive cruelty being viewed as harmful, and excessive kindness and generosity as potentially causing jealousy and, thereby, conflict.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

William Steele

Post by William Steele » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 am

honestly, if trying to get everyone to get along is what you're aiming for, i'd say hop off the neutral wagon, and go LG. you don't have to follow the strict sense of morals of a paladin's dogma. your intention is for everyone to live happy, together, and be one big ol' family.

if you're trying to force everyone to get along, i'd go with LE. you want everyone to see the world how you see it, and you're not afraid to make them see it your way, even at the cost of life in some instances.

however, in both situations, you will always claim to be neutral, and be seeking balance. an actual neutral alignment doesn't really fit the concept, even though it looks good on paper. the character is undeniably lawful with a goal like that, the good/evil axis will be how he goes about doing it.

as for a diety, honestly, the montheistic attitude is kind of detrimental. you can just pick a diety from the book (you're supposed to pick the one who's most likely to support you. that doesn't mean you only worship that one). you don't even have to use the dogma of any particular diety. you have your own idea of what is 'right,' and you pursue it. you pray to tymora for luck. besheeba to ward off bad luck. umberlee for safety while sailing, et cetera.

so basically, my advice is to rethink your alignment, forget a particular diety, and just go ham on the concept however you want!

Mindcraft

Post by Mindcraft » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:26 am

So much input! Thanks to everyone, I think I got my idea settled now :-)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:16 pm

I realize I'm a bit late to this party, but, while seconding the notion of William before me, once you have a faith picked, you may want to try looking into the Harper path (story-wise, not necessarily class-wise. Not all Harpers are Harper Scouts!) with a DM.

They are very politically motivated in attempting to maintain the stability of the realms, and there is a lot of potential in your concept for that, (keeping tabs on and exerting influence over the island for the mainland organization, for starters).
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002