Is Overwhelming Critical worth it?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

FoxyPigeon

Is Overwhelming Critical worth it?

Post by FoxyPigeon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:25 pm

So as far as I can tell all it does is add 1d6 points of damage if I'm using say a long sword? I guess I can see the potential if someone is using a scythe or something since it adds more, but for me is it even worth it?

Winter83

Re: Is Overwhelming Critical worth it?

Post by Winter83 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Considering the requirements, 1d6 dmg is meager. There are always better feats to pick at epic level.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm

No.

Someone really needs to find a way to un-suckify that feat, so that Fighters can have another cookie. The only reason to take it is to get the prerequisite for Dev Crit.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Well for a standard weapon WM with x3 crit it adds 3d6 to those crits. 5d6 to a wheat killer WM. Still not worth the investment though.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:46 pm

It actually adds (crit multiplier - 1)d6, so a x3 crit only gets 2d6. It might be worth it for a Scythe WM, but there are still a lot of way better feats available, since crits are far from guaranteed, and there are a lot of things that are immune.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:52 pm

From the NWNWiki
◾Despite the game description, overwhelming critical actually adds an additional 1d6 for a total of (critical multiplier)d6 extra damage.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:22 am

I took it on my weaponmaster, and it was pretty worth it. Wouldn't bother unless you're expecting a ton of critting.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 am

I'd much rather take a more useful epic feat, say, Armor Skin or Epic Focus Discipline.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:34 am

Could be worth it if you already have the prerequisites, as in the case of Weapon Masters.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 am

I just think it this way...

Skipping all the math, let's say the average critical of some random WM is ...
120: If it's a 3x modifier, it will add an average damage of 7 damage, that's about 8.4% more damage.
160: 4x modifier, it will add an average of 10.5, an extra about 7% more damage.
200: 5x modifier, it will add an average of 14 damage, that's exactly 7%.

Damage is good, right? I just don't think it's enough of an improvement in comparison to what other feats give.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:49 am

Ikken Hissatsu, my friend.

Stack ALL the damage buffs!

FoxyPigeon

Post by FoxyPigeon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:09 am

Thanks guys!

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:02 pm

No! Its really not worth it.
1d6 per critical means 3.5 points of bonus damage /when you crit/.
Which is with this feat ideally 55% of the time (scimitar/kurkri WM).
Bottom line, it does add less than 2 damage, under ideal circumstances (you being the WM and having the ab to confirm enough crits).
So under the best circumstances it is worse than the weapon specialization feat fighters can take pre-epic.
If you're really out of feat choices ... then maybe.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Echoing the above. It's the sort of feat you take if you already have the prerequisites and nothing better to go for. Don't build for it.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:46 pm

If you are already building a crit-machine (they can be a lot of fun) then it doesn't hurt to take it. If you're building a dual-wielding crit machine with the intention of 7 attacks(when hasted) per round, it does become worth it, especially if you have WM levels (turns all those 2d6 bonuses into 3d6 bonuses with a 10-20 threat range (55%!) for an extra average 10.5 damage x3 average crits per round for an extra 31.5 damage per round average or 73.5 average extra over 2 rounds.)

10.5 extra damage per crit attack isn't AMAZING, but when you're critting 55% of the time, it can certainly make the difference between whether or not your foe gets an extra round of attacks on you...

And let's not forget the swarms of minions and great cleave... >.>
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:03 pm

It's not that niche- 7 WM levels + choice of Kukri, Scimitar, or Rapier. Fulfill your crit requirements and the rest of your build can be pretty much whatever you'd like, with some extra surplus feats if you've got even a moderate amount of fighter levels.

FighterX/WM7/?X
RangerX/WM7/?X
BarbarianX/WM7/?X
PaladinX/CoTX/WM7

To list a few variable examples.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Even on WM builds, it pales in comparison with the pre-epic Weapon Specialization since the +2 from it gets multiplied on a crit.

This is especially true since crits have to be confirmed, and you might have trouble doing that on the last couple attacks of the round. It's not as simple as getting 10.5 extra damage 55% of the time.

Even if I'd gotten nearly all of the most important epic feats, I'd probably take an epic skill focus or an epic saves feat over overwhelming critical.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Since the OP has said he feels the question was answered I suppose we can continue discussing te feat.

If we are talking about WMs then your pre-epic feats are in short order. KD//IKD are absolutely needed on a mundane front liner or flanker. On a strength build expertise/ imp expertise are, arguably, just as needed.

While cleave/great cleave are really helpful in PvM they are pretty useless in PvP. Meaning that you used two of your few pre-epic feats for a relatively minor damage boost.

When talking about the usefulness of feats in a build it makes a huge difference what you want to do with the character, who you want the character to be, and what you want to try to accomplish with the character.

NWN is an incredibly complicated game in one way, incredibly simply in another. That's one of the many, many reasons I don't mess with other games, other servers. We are lucky enough to have it all.