A question on disguises

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Sea Shanties

Re: A question on disguises

Post by Sea Shanties » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 am

Huelander wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 am
Hello. Jacen here. I figured I'd comment given I'm the other party in the example, and given how passionate a few of you seem to be about this topic. It also seems that some of you have mistaken the situation entirely.

So, first off. I would ask some of you to calm down, we were just having some fun in game with what's available to us.
Everyone but the OP is speaking in generalities. Nobody but the people involved care about the incident itself but we do care how the disguise system works and how people are using it.

I also don't see anything that warrants being told to "calm down." This seems like a reasonable discussion.
As for Cordelia: You are the one that has to decide on the interpretation of the Spot check. You have, however, made this incredibly difficult for yourself. Because to crack a disguise at that level is a borderline supernatural feat on its own. The mechanics in this instance do not translate very well into roleplay, what could have possibly given it away?
I'm really not sure what you're getting at... 50 disguise is high but not so high that it won't get broken regularly. There are bards walking around with nearly twice that in perform and even they will get busted by dedicated spotters with true sight up. It's going to happen and if you're in disguise you need to expect it. If it's a big deal to you, do what you're doing I guess and offer a PM to suggest what may have been given away and hope the other party plays along. You have to relinquish some control when in disguise and it's very difficult to maintain a long term double identity.

Huelander

Post by Huelander » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:23 am

I can't see who breaks the disguise when multiple people are around. Ergo it is impossible for the disguised to facilitate the observer without additional communication or information. It really is up to the observer to work it into the narrative of the moment, which to my knowledge is how it usually goes, and it works fine like that.

Now, my argument for the skill numbers is simple: RP your stats. Just "having good eyes or ears" to explain a perceptive skill of 70 isnt something your fellow players can really make more interesting for you. People often RP their sneak skills as integral to their character, for instance. But this is really more a general advice than anything.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Ultimatly - if your disguise is broken , then your disguise is broken.

It doesn't matter if the pc says they could tell becaus you have a faint tick with your right eye that is very distinctive. Or because your false mustache was skewed, but because 'I just know, y'know?' It is broken. If you can be generous enough to help provide a reason why they might tell - that's awsome. Otherwise really the reason for why they broke it is really on them, and can be anything they like, from 'that modling clay you used to change your face doesn't quite work.' to 'Your farts smell the same'.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)