NWN Portrait unlocker override disabled?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Infinite Solutions

NWN Portrait unlocker override disabled?

Post by Infinite Solutions » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:06 am

I used to use the NWN portrait unlocker to access a wider variety of portraits.. some of them abstractly related to the character but cool and looking better than the stock representational ones in my opinion, which never look like the character I envision. Judging by all the portraits I see in game and on the portal I am far from the only one who likes to use a wolf or something like that.

This no longer seems to work. Is there another way, has this been intentionally disabled or is it the side effect of haks?

Drowble Oh Seven

Re: NWN Portrait unlocker override disabled?

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:29 am

I'm uncertain as to what might have caused the override to stop functioning for you; but if you'd like to use one of those portraits you can make use of the -potrait [portraitnamehere] command. The wiki's got the details on how to use it and the relevant names.

You will need to be in the character creation room (for a new character), or the magical character update room (for an existing character) for the command to work. The DMs are usually happy to beam you to a place you can use it, if you ping the channel.

Infinite Solutions

Post by Infinite Solutions » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 am

Appreciate the advice. I was aware I could ask for help but I really prefer not to bother a DM for something like that and would rather see if it's possible to make it work like it used to.

Is anyone else successfully using the portrait unlocker override? I assumed it was deliberately stopped because it stopped working as soon as haks were introduced. It is not working on my desktop or laptop and I tried launching via Steam and via alias circumventing Steam.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:05 pm

How did you get the override? Is it via the Steam Workshop? Workshop overrides are very wonky for a lot of players (myself included) and sometimes they just randomly stop working. I very rarely, if ever, have every single override working at the same time. Some just turn off, some turn on.

If you're using the Steam Workshop, my advice to you would be to go into the ..\Steam\Common\Workshop\[NWN game ID]\[Mod ID] (you'll have to search a bit here, but it's usually easiest to unsubscribe from the override, resubscribe, and then order the folders by created date, and go into the newest one), then copy all the portraits there over to I think ..\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\Portraits. Then they'll always be there, Steam or not, and you can unsubscribe from the Workshop item.

Infinite Solutions

Post by Infinite Solutions » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:07 pm

I'm actually using this:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... as-souhotu

It worked flawlessly until the haks were introduced on Arelith. Soundsets are still available but additional portraits are not... Except for kobolds, goblins and gnolls, which made me think this was an intentional limitation.

Should add, this didn't actually add portraits but unlocked the additional ones built into the game. I've found that even if I add the same portraits manually to the portrait folder they don't show up for other players or on the portal but the override always works.

If someone knows of another way to unlock animal and monster portraits whether on the Steam workshop or otherwise I'd love to know. Thanks.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Use this:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... -portraits

You should only need the second one ( NPC Portraits (Portraits 2DA)) and put that in your override folder in your NWN folder in your documents.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Infinite Solutions

Post by Infinite Solutions » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Thank you. Still no results. I think the portrait override 2da is being ignored completely. It doesn't make a difference if the override is present or not, you see the same options (plus any custom portraits that may be in the portrait folder.)

Since the haks were installed you can pick goblins and kobolds as default options, which isn't the case in base NWN of course. This makes me think something was tinkered with and that there is a hak that kills the portrait.2da override in the override folder. The override DOES work on other servers or in single player, so this is a thing Arelith specific.

For what it's worth I am on the Mac version. Shouldn't make a difference though.

Anyway this is merely a quality of life issue, but bringing it up in case anyone cares and perhaps whoever is working on the haks might look at it hopefully eventually maybe.
Last edited by Infinite Solutions on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:06 am

I'm also in the same boat. My overrides are being overridden by something .hak-side. I hadn't had this issue until the .haks have been released.

It might have something to do with race portrait selection .hak side.

Infinite Solutions

Post by Infinite Solutions » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 am

Is no one else having this problem, is anyone successfully using the portraits.2da override??

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:39 am

I’ve corrected the server side portraits.2da to reflect the override. Just requires a merge and send live.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Infinite Solutions

Post by Infinite Solutions » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:52 am

That's great, thank you!

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:07 pm

A problem with a server using custom content is that their content overwrites yours. In this case, the portraits.2da you had in override overwrote the vanilla portraits.2da, and then Arelith's portraits.2da overwrote your override.

This is because the Arelith devs added new creatures and placeables with new creature and placeable portraits. With Spyre's edit, everyone on the server will have the new portrait availability he sets, whether they have a portrait "unlocker" or not in override.

Getting everyone to use the same game files can be a huge benefit to solving problems and adding new content, avoiding missing files (like portraits) and mismatched terrain features, but of course, it can also be very constrained because it prevents a lot of levels of individual customization.

If there isn't a soundset.2da in the server haks, for instance, the moment one is placed in the server haks (with new creature sounds, perhaps), everyone will use that, and all of the people using "unlocker" soundset.2da overrides will only have the voice set options available specified in the server's new "hak" 2da.

Both of these limitations can be worked around, somewhat, since Arelith has the -portrait and -soundset NWNX commands that edit already-created character files during gameplay, though, you will need to be in the Entry area, or get a DM to take you to the character customization area, in order to use them.