Why no herb bag?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Why no herb bag?

Post by Subutai » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 pm

I've seen it said before that an herb bag will never be added, but I haven't seen why. Since a lot of low strength characters focus on herbalism and alchemy, and since herbalism and alchemy depend much more on bulk manufacture than other trades (except when it comes to coal...), it seems like herb bags would really help herbalist/alchemist characters focus on RPing and using their CP, rather than spending their time finding the bare minimum of herbs they need for a potion or an order to prevent being constantly encumbered.

What's the reasoning behind not adding an herb bag? Is it something that could be discussed and/or potentially reevaluated?

Skarain

Re: Why no herb bag?

Post by Skarain » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 pm

I did some digging around, as it was I who raised up the topic on Arelith Discord v3.0 yesterday.

Someone asking the same question, and being responded essentially with: It's a lot of scripting work
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23475&p=187320

A Rejected Request for Gathering Bags (from Nov 17, 2018)
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21848
by: Irongron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Too many bags! Also these items are pretty small.

I think from here on we need to look at expanding PCs inventories rather than adding yet more special containers. Rejected.

Another "More Bags?" thread, with a last post explaining rather well /why/ Herbalists would like some bags
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20783#p168874

So in a nutshell, it was suggested (and rejected) once. The reason as to why could be relooked, though.

There are some good arguments on why having a bag for a hundred tiny things would be a very nice thing for all those who use Herbs in their crafts.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Bleh, Just turn hunter bag into nature bag so you can stuff your herbs, fruits and seeds etc in it aswell.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Reallylongunneededplayername wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:59 pm
Bleh, Just turn hunter bag into nature bag so you can stuff your herbs, fruits and seeds etc in it aswell.
I'd go for this, too. Also, if the mining bag could hold ingots.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 am

Subutai wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm
That's just greedy :P
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

hmm

Post by hmm » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Sounds great.

also i'm suprised there are no Weed jokes in here.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 am
Subutai wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm
That's just greedy :P
If you don't ask, you'll never receive!

But really, I'd be 100% pleased as a peach to just have a herb bag.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:52 pm

hmm wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:14 pm
Sounds great.

also i'm suprised there are no Weed jokes in here.
For the record, I suggested this earlier this year on 4/20

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 am

I can sort of see the reasoning, that would be a very powerful bag for a very low-encumbrance item, every herb is 1x1, .1 weight. So you'd be able to carry thousands and they're already so small. On the other hand, I hate inventory size limits, and the Bag of Holding exists for a reason. I really wish we could have a thousand thousand of those "magic bag" items from the OC module strewn across Arelith and forget about inventory management as a limiting problem and make it purely a logistical one. Or even, the ordinary bags without weight reduction, I do enjoy the amusing phenomenon of knowing you can go and ask your friendly neighborhood STR build for literally anything and they have 100 in their pocket and the workstation, too, where everyone else has to manage things carefully, and its (kind of) on-theme.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:41 pm

WJLIII3 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 am
I can sort of see the reasoning, that would be a very powerful bag for a very low-encumbrance item, every herb is 1x1, .1 weight.
The difference here for me us amount used per gp of value. While copper might weigh more per unit, for example, a smith also needs vastly less copper to earn a good profit than an herbalist does almost anything. Even potions of heal only sell for a few thousand, while smiths can make jewelry boxes with more common materials that sell that sell for more than double.

Herbalists make up for this lack of per unit value by selling quantity. An herbalist therefore needs a lot of herbs to make the same amount of money as a smith does. The herbs might individually be low encumbrance, but in the quantity necessary to be worth carrying it all, and not have to constantly run to the various herb gardens, etc., they can be quite encumbering.