PvP and the Dislike action

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Flashish

Re: PvP and the Dislike action

Post by Flashish » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:59 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:48 am

Character was short-lived and only had half a dozen "highwaymen" encounters. But they were a mixed bag. The character itself was sort of comedic,

"Pardon me, this is a robbery."

Sort of style. I think the impression I gave was also that of absolutely no real intent to PvP anyone. I found it fun and thrilling. Maybe something I'll go back to in the future.

But I was fully prepared and prepped to die often and repeatedly. What was surprising was that more than one victim *enjoyed* being robbed. I never put a ceiling or a floor on how much gold my highwayman was asking for (and honestly would've taken like 50gp if that's what was given), and I think that helped too.
That's almost exactly what I'm going for. Perhaps a bit more of a world weary, bored with robbery, lets-get-this-over-with type, but very similar in the actual approach. And yeah, my vague goal is to get something from them, a cure light wounds potion, 50 gold... doesn't matter. I expect to lose money on the actual robberies. And if they walk away without stopping I'm fine with that as well.

And it makes perfect sense for some people to enjoy it. It allows them to make choices they usually don't get to make. It's almost like an NPC without the canned dialogue.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:03 am

Flashish wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:59 am
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:48 am

Character was short-lived and only had half a dozen "highwaymen" encounters. But they were a mixed bag. The character itself was sort of comedic,

"Pardon me, this is a robbery."

Sort of style. I think the impression I gave was also that of absolutely no real intent to PvP anyone. I found it fun and thrilling. Maybe something I'll go back to in the future.

But I was fully prepared and prepped to die often and repeatedly. What was surprising was that more than one victim *enjoyed* being robbed. I never put a ceiling or a floor on how much gold my highwayman was asking for (and honestly would've taken like 50gp if that's what was given), and I think that helped too.
That's almost exactly what I'm going for. Perhaps a bit more of a world weary, bored with robbery, lets-get-this-over-with type, but very similar in the actual approach. And yeah, my vague goal is to get something from them, a cure light wounds potion, 50 gold... doesn't matter. I expect to lose money on the actual robberies. And if they walk away without stopping I'm fine with that as well.

And it makes perfect sense for some people to enjoy it. It allows them to make choices they usually don't get to make. It's almost like an NPC without the canned dialogue.
That sounds really refreshing and fun.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:50 am

I would like to briefly address the "attacking summons" and the "must click dislike"

In my experience.. coming as a player who has meticulously and deliberately practiced and developed a quick reaction to bringing my companion/summon/henchmen under control, I also am fully aware that MOST people lack this very basic skill.

The hot-keys are "V" + "E" + "E" -practice them. make them second nature.

it calls your summons/companion/henchmen TO YOU... and it isn't perfect... sometimes your S/C/H gets halfway to you and turns around and re-auto-attacks... so you have to repeat: V-E-E keys.

...I'm looking at you [Insert Every Caster Player Who Uses the Radial Menu and never uses hotkeys on their summons].

Which brings me to the 2nd issue. MOST cases... if a player is out and about (like the OP who admits openly keeping summoned undead in his company) -the MOMENT that you click "dislike" the companion/summon/henchman treats you as hostile, and attacks you.

-so if you follow the rules.. and you WANT to do the RP first... and DO click the dislike... USUALLY the unintended consequences are YOU get attacked before sufficient RP has happened, and the person you are trying to RP with fumbles with the controls... or does something silly.. like trying to MOUSE CLICK his summon and use the radial menu to call him back.. and instead auto attacks YOU.

This happens. It happens to me A LOT... usually because my ranger PC's are doing the confronting, and USUALLY the undead summons are very capably of killing my characters (particularly when there are 3 of them) and so I stopped DISLIKING first.

Usually what I end up doing is trying to give many many many warnings ... particularly when the other player is not really aware or paying attention... or if they have parked their undead somewhere, and they themselves have wandered off... sometimes I have no clue who the PC is.. and because they're not around, and I am calling out over and over "Okay.. last chance..." "Okay... Really.. this time this is the last chance..." "....OKayy.. no really THIS is the last chance..."

I usually end up opening fire on them, expecting that once the player sees their undead taking damage, they actually begin paying attention, and we can have the 2-way interacion... and I don't get b!tch slapped to the fugue by the greater-mummys because I 'disliked' them first.

So.. this is a thing, and certainly a consideration.

Taking the spirit of the rules is sometimes more important that complying with the letter.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:54 am

An issue that seems to pop up a lot is that people don't always receive a message saying they've been set to hostile, even when they have been. If people use ! commands via a tell, it sets the singular person to hostile but does not send either player a message about it.

! in chat, ! in tell, setting via playerlist; all of these should provide feedback in every affected player's combat log so that it is more clear. This will avoid many issues of 'He attacked me without setting hostile', particularly when it happens because the person didn't notice.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:35 am

Varonmeer wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:12 am
Hazard wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:51 am
They must dislike you first and you should report if they aren't.
But I am very certain that at least one person has disliked before attacking.
Not yet I'm afraid, but I am a newer player so relatively speaking I havn't had too many battles.
I'm completely certain.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:57 am

After some weird experiences recently, I'm not 100% sure that "!" or even the menu-based hostile is 100% reliable.

DM Senke

Post by DM Senke » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 am

To be clear, a player must be set to hostile before PvP occurs. Any PvP occurring where that is not the case is in breach of Rule #2. This is both the spirit and letter of Rule #2.

Varonmeer

Post by Varonmeer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Hazard wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:35 am
Varonmeer wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:12 am
Hazard wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:51 am
They must dislike you first and you should report if they aren't.
But I am very certain that at least one person has disliked before attacking.
Not yet I'm afraid, but I am a newer player so relatively speaking I havn't had too many battles.
I'm completely certain.
Since I have made this post I have had two different players dislike before attacking. I had at least ten seperate pvp encounters on that character, so I would say that is a pretty small percentage. Again, as I said, no, they did not. Telling me that they have serves no purpose. All in all at this point I am happy deleting this thread, but I am unsure as to how.

DM Axis

Post by DM Axis » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:20 pm

We've got that for you.
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344