Outcast Pariah

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Greater Good

Outcast Pariah

Post by The Greater Good » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 pm

When it says 'surface settlements' does it specifically mean Cordor, Bendir, Guldorand, Brog, and Myon? Or anywhere that's a big chunk of people/living space like Greyhammer, Sibayad, the Grove, etc?
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Outcast Pariah

Post by Irongron » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Settlements as defined by the settlement system (where citizenship is possible).

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:05 pm

What's the overall reasoning behind these changes?

The Greater Good

Post by The Greater Good » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Is this going to be applied to pirates? They are, for most purposes, also hostile to 'normal' settlements in the same way Outcasts apparently are.
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.

DM Axis

Post by DM Axis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 pm

This currently does not affect monsters or pirates.

Edit: This will also affect monsters. Not pirates.
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344

Nymann

Post by Nymann » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Why would it not apply to Pirates though? They are at this point even more hostile towards settlements than outcasts and have their own writs as well?

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:49 pm

Unlike the exile system (unless that was rolled back earlier) a Pariah/Outcast isn't going to be mechanically booted out of the settlement unless I misread things.

So an Outcast could mechanically walk into Cordor, perhaps meeting a fence* somewhere clandestine to buy an item indirectly from a shop in Cordor. Of course if the fence is caught and the gov't cares enough they might become a Pariah themselves.

Is this sort of RP fine/encouraged?

*Might not be a 100% accurate term to use but hopefully you understand my meaning.

DM Axis

Post by DM Axis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 pm

The exile system is a physical barring for players unable to make the appropriate checks.
The pariah system only affects use of NPCs and ships. They can buy things outside of a city.

Could have characters act as go-betweens due to the restrictions now in place, that roleplay is encouraged, much as it already is for those who advocate for exiles.
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 am

DM Axis wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Edit: This will also affect monsters. Not pirates.
Would be great to also effect "not monsters" in Andunor.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:03 am

RedGiant wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 am
Couldn't help yourself, huh? If something affects the UD it should affect the surface? Nah. Andunor is a trade city for all delicacies and tastes.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:32 am

Ork wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:03 am
RedGiant wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 am
Couldn't help yourself, huh? If something affects the UD it should affect the surface? Nah. Andunor is a trade city for all delicacies and tastes.
In theory it definitely doesn't seem bad, but as well, it doesn't help the long standing perception that the surface and UD are allotted special treatments, rather than being treated equally.

It's for this same reason that so many "playing human race vs monster race" threads pop up. There's a certain balance between Developer Vision, for what those who have been enabled to offer changes for the server put forward, to how it actually plays out in practice. The spirit of the server is that however it plays out in practice, is how things ought to advance, but that's not really how it usually goes. It also gets a lil convoluted as certain aspects of the server are allowed to change organically, but others are reinforced as "the way it should be" (things like outcasts being barred from Sibiyad, and monster races from Sencliff? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's just "the way it should be" a this present time.) -- only more so convoluted as these standards seem to change arbitrarily over time (Irongron eventually said it was okay for Duergar to visit Cordor? Why? There's no RP to back this up. It's personal preference, with no organic backing.)

At the end of the day, I think more communication could go a long way.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:02 am

Ork wrote:
Very well, withdrawn. Counsel will rephrase. It would be good if the monsters had a settlement where there would be opposite and equal consequences for Harvey the human or Skippy the sun-elf.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Duergar, by and large, aren't considered monsters. That's supported in lore. The hatred a duergar has for a shield dwarf, and vice versa, pales in comparison to the hatred of a drow and a surface elf. Duergars are not monsters, but deep dwarves ..that also happen to be crueler aspects of dwarven psychology.

Andunor, when founded, was first and foremost a trading hub. Two drow houses created the city to allow them to bolster their wealth and conduct their twisted experiments in relative secret. They don't care how the settlement is run as long as trade isn't inhibited. You learn this when approaching the peacekeepers. They literally give 0 viths besides protecting the merchants.

What has happened is fair in that ultimately we can create whatever we want in Andunor as long as what we want doesn't inhibit trade (the one rule of the true masters of Andunor). There doesn't need to be any further understanding than this.

How does that all work for everyone involved? You have two types of philosophies: inclusionist and exclusionist. The inclusionist seeks to work with what we have to create a compelling story that effects all the denizens of Andunor and beyond. The exclusionist want to seal off the city to their specific brand of roleplay. I'll let you decide which ones better.

Honestly there is room for both styles of roleplay as long as we, as players, intend to involve others in that story making process. Can outcasts be regulated to second class citizens? Sure. There are good ways to do that where outcasts are empowered to pursue "fighting the man" type of roleplay. And there is the "bow or die" roleplay that removed player agency.

Ultimately what is allowed in Andunor? Anything. It has cycled from stark order to abject chaos every few months. It's a great setting that molds to the players whims. How we use that is what matters.

Let Love In

Post by Let Love In » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:11 am

Funnily, those branded as exclusionist have often rped with me on every character I've made, human or monster. I find people with exclusionist characters are often some of the most inclusive players. It's very important to make the distinction and many who fail to do so are missing out on a great deal.
Plays: Voxic Xy'vilkor

Bibliophile

Post by Bibliophile » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm

I've a question and not sure where to post it as there are so many threads currently for this new change. When you exile from a settlement it costs resources. Does setting someone as a Pariah do the same and does it cost as many resources to the city as exile does?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Not at the moment no. Though I wouldn't be suprised if this was revisited at the future.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Bibliophile

Post by Bibliophile » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Awesome thanks for the response.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:04 am

RedGiant wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:02 am
Ork wrote:
Very well, withdrawn. Counsel will rephrase. It would be good if the monsters had a settlement where there would be opposite and equal consequences for Harvey the human or Skippy the sun-elf.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:04 am

Arelith totally needs this.