Is it ever feasible to craft something on one character and trade it to another of your characters?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

KreshDickens
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Is it ever feasible to craft something on one character and trade it to another of your characters?

Post by KreshDickens » Mon May 20, 2019 2:15 pm

My first/primary character I dumped all of my crafting points into Carpentry and my second I dumped all points into forging.

I'm realizing that may have been a mistake as I put some coal / iron chunks into the crafting barrel of Skaljard and was notified this is a muling attempt and the items were deleted. Is it feasible to meet another in game player and RP them passing the gear or is any trading between same-account characters forbidden?

Nitro

Re: Is it ever feasible to craft something on one character and trade it to another of your characters?

Post by Nitro » Mon May 20, 2019 2:35 pm

It's forbidden to trade items between your own characters (Also known as 'Muling') in any way, and there is a script that detects if you try to pick up any item previously held by another of your characters and deletes it if you try to pick it up on a different character.

The specific rule can be found here: http://wiki.arelith.com/Muling_rule

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Is it ever feasible to craft something on one character and trade it to another of your characters?

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon May 20, 2019 2:43 pm

Yep, this is always forbidden. And if we catch people trying to circumvent this, they'll get in trouble.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Mon May 20, 2019 4:26 pm

I definitely don't condone muling, but it does lead into a point that the OP brings up which is that dumping all your crafting points into one skill is really the only way to create items that you need at the level they become available for you to use. And yet, you need so many parts and pieces from the other skill areas that assembling everything can be exhausting. Have you guys ever considered expanding the number of craft skills slightly, or possibly coming up with a new system that allows you to "major" in one craft and "minor" in another?

I ask this, because I know I've had incredibly bad luck on my initial crafting rolls. But as I progressed from level 15 to 16 I tried 4 different times to make a Grandmasterly Light Crossbow which involved begging friends to cut like 8-10 Sapphires for me. I dumped all my skill points into carpentry which meant I should only fail the initial roll on a 1-4 I believe. I'm pretty sure I rolled a natural 1 3 times, and another pathetic roll in addition.

It just gets to be so oppressive to craft this stuff when you have bad luck, that I can understand the desire to mule.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 pm

R0GUE wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:26 pm
I definitely don't condone muling, but it does lead into a point that the OP brings up which is that dumping all your crafting points into one skill is really the only way to create items that you need at the level they become available for you to use. And yet, you need so many parts and pieces from the other skill areas that assembling everything can be exhausting. Have you guys ever considered expanding the number of craft skills slightly, or possibly coming up with a new system that allows you to "major" in one craft and "minor" in another?
This exists.

The gift of crafting on character creation gives you 20 extra crafting skill points to allocate.

Otherwise, be social and find other crafting PCs and work with them. Muling is never an option.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 pm

The OP was answered, and for the matter of crafting, I think it's one of the most solid systems in Arelith, with tons of options and viability of investment for those that wish to make the best of the system, while being equally open to every character. There's a matter regarding skillpoints in general, but that's a thing of its own that has nothing to do with crafting.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 pm
Otherwise, be social and find other crafting PCs and work with them. Muling is never an option.
I know, I said so at the top of my post. I just said I understand the impulse and why the OP would ask.

The Gift of Crafting seems like something I would never take unless I was making a purely a "crafting centered RP character" like someone who wanted to run his own shop or otherwise be a merchant. I would take it if it was ECL 0, but not at ECL 1.

Anyway, I won't derail the thread any further, I just wanted to give my two cents.

KreshDickens
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by KreshDickens » Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 pm

I appreciated your comment, I picked Archer path and it seems that might not have been a clever choice for my first character.

I've been trying to read up on arrows and am still a little lost, but I'm not sure this character will see much more server time.

PS: If somebody could point me in the direction of where the archer's "summon a bundle of arrows" skill is, I haven't been able to find it in game.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 pm

To summon your bundle of arrows you need to take weapon focus in a ranged weapon, - presumably the one you want your character to specialize in. You'll then get a widgit in your inventory which, when 'used' will create the ammo for that weapon (e.g. if you take weapon focus Crossbow, it'll be bolts, if you take weapon focus longbow it'll be arrows)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

KreshDickens
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by KreshDickens » Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 pm

Do you know what the widget looks like, and if its possible that I might have deleted it?

Edit:
Ah! That thing that tells me the stats I added!