Warlock Factions?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gazfrost

Warlock Factions?

Post by Gazfrost » Sat May 11, 2019 8:58 am

I only recently came back to Arelith and I want to make a Fiendish/Abyssal Pact Warlock, I don't care what race or if its a UD or Surface character I'm just looking for a Warlock faction I can join for good RP.
I just need a heads up on what race and server to play on.

Anyone able to help?

Jagel

Re: Warlock Factions?

Post by Jagel » Sat May 11, 2019 11:16 am

If you want to pop in and warlock right away I’d say go UD.

Drow and orogs have a few things going for them as warlocks but I’m pretty sure you can make warlock work on any racial template

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Sat May 11, 2019 4:45 pm

I can't think of any explicitly warlock factions, but! There is at least a more magical learning kind of faction that has some warlocks already in it. Hit-up the Erudite Arcanum, there in the underdark.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

DM Axis

Post by DM Axis » Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Factions would have to be found in game, but there are a few depending on what qualities qualify as 'like minded'.

You can also go slave, outcast for UD access as well on human/half orc. Or of course our freshly painted Sencliff pirate would also be another idea.
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 am

AFAIK there haven't ever been any dedicated warlock factions, but that's not to restrict you from finding groups your character would mesh just fine with. It's worth noting, warlocks are very evil and wouldn't usually be walking around cordor asking "is anyone else a warlock?" but in the UD that'd be less of an issue.

Warlocks are fun and pretty easy to play. A great way to get introduced to the server.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri May 17, 2019 9:09 pm

I feel like a warlock faction would be cool. Cultists and necromancers naturally flock togethrr because of being an outcast. What you could do is start in Adundor or sencliffe and create a faction of your oen that makes a safe haven for warlocks persecuted on the surface.

satan

Post by satan » Sat May 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Dalenger wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 am
AFAIK there haven't ever been any dedicated warlock factions, but that's not to restrict you from finding groups your character would mesh just fine with. It's worth noting, warlocks are very evil and wouldn't usually be walking around cordor asking "is anyone else a warlock?" but in the UD that'd be less of an issue.

Warlocks are fun and pretty easy to play. A great way to get introduced to the server.

Unless you make a surface warlock that isn't a pirate. Good luck with that.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:25 am

Non pirate surface warlock is pretty fun if you play it intelligently. If you see someone coming immediately unsummon your demon and cast darkness on yourself to give you a little breathing room. There are helmets that can hide your eyes. Don't use a spear and tower shield. (I use a small shield and either dagger or staff, which can pass for a rogue, bard, or mage.)

I may have just been lucky with people not metagaming me, but I've even convinced someone who caught me out with my summon that it was attacking me (ran away from it while it was on follow then cast dismissal on it and unsummoned)

Don't cast eldritch blast if you're with a caster. You're generally fine in a group of mundane characters as long as you don't summon and wear a helmet.

It's definitely not easy, and it involves a LOT of smooth talking. With that said, it's a blast to play. The suspense of trying to avoid being outed makes some very enjoyable roleplay, especially if you find yourself in a group with a suspicious paladin. It also helps to grind in less popular areas if you want to just go crazy with your spells and summon.

A high disguise skill is essential, and changing your outfits often helps keep people off of your trail.

Leveling this way is going to be a lot slower than a traditional character or open warlock. It's similar to playing a hardcore character in other games as far as the care and attention to detail. I got the character to level 14 so far without being discovered, but I think that won't last at higher levels, at which point I'll have to either flee to the underdark or join an evil faction. It's been one of the most enjoyable characters I've had though.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted