Starting in Sencliff

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Sea Shanties

Starting in Sencliff

Post by Sea Shanties » Thu May 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Remember to play a pirate you must select the 'pirate' background on a character (not available good aligned PCs, or those playing a monster race of the Underdark)
I set aside any pirate ambitions a while back but would like to join in on this event. But I don't fully get how one becomes a Sencliff pirate and maybe some clarity would help other clueless and/or new characters.

I guess the main question is, can an existing non-UD character who's neutral/evil make their way to Sencliff and become a pirate and do the quests, or do you have to start there?

(Calling it "background" when it's not selectable on creation like outcast or slave might be a little confusing)
Last edited by Sea Shanties on Fri May 10, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archnon

Re: Pirate Background

Post by Archnon » Thu May 09, 2019 6:58 pm

I was able to join previously by going to Sencliff and speaking with an NPC. They will give you the corresponding pirate writ document. I don't know if this is disabled during the event though.

When I took it, they mentioned that it couldn't be undone and you get kicked out of being a citizen of every other town. This also means that you lose all access to storage for that character. If you have a home with another character, be aware that your Pirate will, at least for now, not have any access to public storage. To reiterate..... The only way to currently get storage as a pirate is to own a home. If you own a home already with someone else, then do a heavy strength build :)

DM Axis

Re: Pirate Background

Post by DM Axis » Thu May 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Existing, Non-UD, and alignment appropriate characters can apply to be pirates even after character creation.
The NPC is still fully functional.
If you take Sencliff as your starting location you will automatically be enlisted as a pirate and start on the island.

But as ever, with these character choices, it is permanent. Make your choice wisely with this knowledge.
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344

Sea Shanties

Re: Starting in Sencliff

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri May 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Follow up question!

I started a pirate, went to Sencliff late last night and it was empty so couldn't find a PC guide to help. Exploring on my own I accepted the pirate tattoos and one pirate quest and found where I think you're supposed to grind on rats and lunatics to level up. But there is not a conventional writ system there, right? I wasn't sure what to do next, it doesn't help that I was bleary eyed after a 12 hour day at work and had little patience for exploration.

I realize this may be FOIG but I don't want to FOIG I should have started in Cordor without pirate tattoo to get the low level writs out of the way without being harassed and gone to Sencliff later. Could we perhaps get a little vague *mechanical* guidance on how a new-to-Sencliff player should go about getting started as a pirate and what to expect? If it's just "grind til you can handle pirate quests" that's fine, but if it's still "start there then go to Cordor and come back when you're stronger" I'd rather start in Cordor sans tattoo and ease into the pirate lifestyle later.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Even with pirate tattoos you can still do all the normal writs in Cordor etc.

And you can do what ever you like but look around for Marius Blackwater in game and we wil rp a bit to get you some info you want :)

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 pm

I guess the question is- is it now viable to start in Sencliff and stay there, not having to go to Cordor? Are there now actually quests to level from 3 and at more or less the same pace as doing writs? I thought the update info suggested this was the case but I am not sure how to accomplish it which is why I'm asking for vague directions.

I'd really rather NOT go to Cordor, as I don't like leveling there and was definitely intrigued by the possibility of Sencliff being "cemented as a starting area" to roughly quote the update notes.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat May 11, 2019 7:29 pm

*bump bump*

Basic question: With the update is it now possible to start in Sencliff and stay there without having to do writs in Cordor?

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm

It is getting better. However, Cordor is still the best option right now.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks!

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon May 13, 2019 12:41 am

I just started a character in sencliff who is very low-level weak. I've decided just to hop over to Cordor for the next new levels, as much as I hate making it even harder to low-level party sencliff.

Perhaps we could add a way to level-restrict boat events? As it is, simply standing on a boat below level 10 is asking to be ganked by a PvE boarding party.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.