Trap Guide?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

TheRoyalMagus

Trap Guide?

Post by TheRoyalMagus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm

I've looked at the nwn website and searched the wiki here. Is there a comprehensive Guide to trap making?

Looking for mostly PVE. Also trying to figure out how the search DC and trap DC are calculated.

magistrasa

Re: Trap Guide?

Post by magistrasa » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Pretty sure there are no traps WORTH making, so I'm not sure a guide is worth making either. :P

Your best bet for traps is to just try to find Epic Traps and recover them wherever you find them. Anything below that has too low DCs or damage to really be useful. At least, that's what I've been told by more experienced trappers - can't say from personal experience since the warnings were so strong that I just did that they all told me. But I can at least confirm that epic traps are pretty fantastic! So fantastic that, unfortunately, they don't let you actually craft them.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Dont...

TheRoyalMagus

Post by TheRoyalMagus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Is the DC to recover them FOIG or isn't here a good target number to hit?

Sofawiel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sofawiel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Recovery DC for the best traps, in my experience, is not firmly set. And best to FOIG. Some really fun RP can be had with learning about such things and rogues dont often get the mentor/mentee experience. Also, there are some traps with crazy dcs if you have rogue levels that are not recoverable but fun to be able to manage

What I ~will say is start by investing in disable trap gear (a second set of items specifically dweomercrafted for trap recovery) then determine actual skill point investment as you find new things.

I would not recommend an immediate skill point dump towards traps until you have experimented/explored/found someone to take you about

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 pm

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Set_trap

Tells you about them. The DC varies due to the skill level of whoever set it and epic ones can result in giant DCs to remove/detect if someone invests in it.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:05 pm

A few years ago, they nerfed the epic trap dmg and dcs when the server was under old management. Not sure if they're still nerfed...

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Generally speaking youre looking at dc 60 for disable and set trap. I think one of the epic traps is 65. Their trigger dc is 32 for epic traps, across the board. Not great but if you do a spread of will/fort/reflex save traps, you tend to find which they're weakest against. Its garaunteed damage too, on certain traps, which is nice. Ironically because of the time it takes to setup a solid trap ambush, though, it's better suited for elaborate PvP encounters instead of pve. In pve youre better suited grabbing a friend and smashing your way through.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 pm

Traps are useful here, but mostly depending on your application of them. The biggest and easiest application if you have a trapper is a setup for a hostile PvP encounter (Edit: lest you be misled, this is still complicated- you should accommodate for bystanders not involved in the PvP so they aren't affected)- PC's involved in PvP tend to have saves drastically boosted by, at the least, spellcraft bonuses on gear; however, traps aren't spells, and those bonuses to saves don't apply against them.

Epic Electrical Traps: 60d6 AoE damage against 7 creatures vs. DC 35 reflex is actually pretty solid against quite a few builds that don't utilize evasion, and on this server bard is taken more frequently than rogue dips for access to discipline. If you lay down a few of these and things go according to plan, it's entirely conceivable to wipe out groups of mobs by attacking once and waiting for them to come to you- and this also translates in PvP.

Epic Sonic Traps: These make great weaponmaster disablers - it is my anecdotal observation that it isn't uncommon for a great many melee builds to dump their wisdom to 8, and again, their spellcraft is meaningless here. DC 30 isn't great, but it's pretty good after gutting someone of their spellcraft boosts.

EpicDeadly Tangle Traps: To be clear here, if you're planning to organize your fights around planning ahead and having traps, these should be covering your "oh crap, I need to run" escape route. A freedom will make these meaningless, but if everyone has time to stop and cast freedom before they chase you you should already be good and gone. They're DC 35 reflex.

If you made these plans vs a monk or a paladin/bg, it's probably time to put your head between your knees.

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Trap
Last edited by Aelryn Bloodmoon on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an epic tangle trap.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:17 am

CosmicOrderV wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:52 pm
I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an epic tangle trap.
You're absolutely right- it's a deadly one, and the link backs that up. I just mis-assigned it the epic title because the DC is relatively high. :oops:
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 am

Alright.

Guide to traps (GTT for short), reviewed by Trent Oster himself and rated 10 out of maximum 10:

Making traps = worthless.

Anything bellow deadly = worthless.

Electric = best. Sonic = best vs low will enemies ( literally almost anything that doesn't have a clarity on itself, if it has a mind blank it's a mage and sort of pointless to try in the first place ), .

Max set trap + DEX mod if you want to be able to use epic traps ( DC is 65, you get 20 off of not being in combat so you need to figure out how to get the rest 45 points ). Deadly traps are still alright but nothing that will get you a guaranteed success.

Where do you get them? I think some NPCs sell deadly ones, the epic you can get from treasure chests or late game dungeons if your disable trap is high enough. Sometimes players sell them in shops for hilarious prices. Or they sell them for dirt cheap.

When should you use them? In PvP. Can you use them in PvE? Yes but you shouldn't because I told you so and I won't elaborate why. Did I just give you a worthless guide? Probably. Will all weaponmasters fail the will check on sonic traps? Not my weaponmaster, my weaponmaster is flawless.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 am
Can you use them in PvE? Yes but you shouldn't because I told you so and I won't elaborate why.
Honestly you discredit yourself. That's a lot of useful information in a short blurb.

But the real reason is that if a trap get's a kill, you don't get the EXP for it. Also traps tend to kill party members more effectively then they do the mobs.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.