Mark of Destiny and the Epic Sacrifice roll

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Sartain

Mark of Destiny and the Epic Sacrifice roll

Post by Sartain » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Reading the wiki entries about these, I am getting very confused as to how they work.

Epic sacrifice states that "There are a few other ways of permadeath that do not trigger the Epic Sacrifice roll, regardless the level: for example the Mark of Destiny, or its despairing cousin" while the Mark of Destiny entry states that "Characters that spend their 10 lives automatically roll for the Epic Sacrifice, if they are within the level range. .

So apparently dying your 10th death with a Mark of Destiny does not trigger the Epic Sacrifice but if you spend your 10 lives from Mark of Destiny you auto-roll Epic Sacrifice...? Which is it?

Bjorn Blue Tiger

Re: Mark of Destiny and the Epic Sacrifice roll

Post by Bjorn Blue Tiger » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Sartain wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 pm
Reading the wiki entries about these, I am getting very confused as to how they work.

Epic sacrifice states that "There are a few other ways of permadeath that do not trigger the Epic Sacrifice roll, regardless the level: for example the Mark of Destiny, or its despairing cousin" while the Mark of Destiny entry states that "Characters that spend their 10 lives automatically roll for the Epic Sacrifice, if they are within the level range. .

So apparently dying your 10th death with a Mark of Destiny does not trigger the Epic Sacrifice but if you spend your 10 lives from Mark of Destiny you auto-roll Epic Sacrifice...? Which is it?
Spending 10 lives with the MoD does trigger the epic sacrifice roll.

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:27 pm

probably just need to update the wiki. this wasn't the case before, and if there's a policy/mechanic change like that it just needs to be noted

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am

Halibutthead wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:27 pm
probably just need to update the wiki. this wasn't the case before, and if there's a policy/mechanic change like that it just needs to be noted
Indeed. It used to be that MoD deaths didn't trigger the 5% roll, but it does now.

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 am

Someone should definitely update the wiki then, having the custom rules wrongly documented is really bad form

Hin_Justice

Post by Hin_Justice » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:43 am

Is MoD still a thing? I haven't come across that prompt in character creation in the past month or so.

Barrister Byrny Nuhl
Cordor Public Defender
Castellan, Castle Gloom

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:56 am

Nowadays it has to be specifically requested via the DM channel. This is to prevent new players taking it without really realizing what it means.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)