Pirate Tattoo Mechanics

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Skald Haldi
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Pirate Tattoo Mechanics

Post by Skald Haldi » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:09 am

Can someone explain the mechanics of seeing pirate tattoos?

While experimenting, one of my disguised characters with a ~20 bluff got some, but they were almost immediately caught. That character didn't last more than a few minutes.

However, my other character can't see someone else's tattoos despite Lore 12, Spot 35, Search 22. And that person isn't even in a disguise! Furthermore, that player explains that higher level tattoos should be easier to spot - and that character is a high-level pirate.

Played: Peruruo Longbean, Spring Cobb, Purple (disguised), Ke Rilyn'ervs, Tern Cooper
Playing: Az'alva Sh'yalva

Nobs

Re: Pirate Tattoo Mechanics

Post by Nobs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:19 am

Im the player of the pirate and i to would like to know whats up with this.
My pirate is a buccaneer and i would like to think that the tattoo's in my description are mostly out in the open for all to see.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 am

Tattoos are a Lore check. If someone has high enough Lore, they will see them.

If the Pirate is disguised, the person has to break their disguise to see the tattoos.

~20 bluff isn't a lot and anyone with a modicum of spot will blast that disguise apart like a watermelon at a shotgun festival.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Skald Haldi
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Skald Haldi » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Lore check? To recognize that the tattoo is specifically a pirate tattoo? Ok... that makes sense. But Lore versus what?

As for seeing the tattoos through a disguise, that's just silly... unless a lot of skin is exposed, someone isn't RPing very well.

Played: Peruruo Longbean, Spring Cobb, Purple (disguised), Ke Rilyn'ervs, Tern Cooper

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:06 pm

I have a character with 45 lore who can't see the tattoos of, uh. Whatever the entry level pirate is. But that same pirate has had their tattoos spotted by someone with little to no lore investment at all. Does it make a difference that my character is an outcast, while the other spotter was the citizen of a surface settlement?

My Search is 44 and my spot is 40 (or at least somewhere in that ballpark). This system makes no sense to me.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Skald Haldi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm
As for seeing the tattoos through a disguise, that's just silly... unless a lot of skin is exposed, someone isn't RPing very well.
There are many ways other than clothing to hide what you have on your skin, such as applying skin makeup.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:35 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 pm
Skald Haldi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm
There are many ways other than clothing to hide what you have on your skin, such as applying skin makeup.
The skin make up was off tone making the attempt at hiding the tatoo only slightly harder for the average person to detect.

There was a slip of the clothing and it scraped off the paint making it obvious that something was trying to be obscured from vision.

Sure they can go about it in more detail. But a deject THEY'RE DOING IT WRONG is a bit mean spirited. I think as a pirate, you know full well the consequences that should happen if someone who cares spots you. Just screaming BUT I'M DISGUISED, HOW CAN YOU TELL is unfair. That's the point of the disguise mechanic. If it's broken, then the enemy can tell. Should they go about it better then HEY, HE'S A PIRATE, absolutely, but that's not always the case.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Covering up tattoos is quite easy. But it's much more difficult for pirates to hide the parrot on the shoulder.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Sea Shanties wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:51 pm
Covering up tattoos is quite easy. But it's much more difficult for pirates to hide the parrot on the shoulder.
That's uh. . . Just a parrot shaped wart!

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 am

Kreydis wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:35 pm
Sure they can go about it in more detail. But a deject THEY'RE DOING IT WRONG is a bit mean spirited. I think as a pirate, you know full well the consequences that should happen if someone who cares spots you. Just screaming BUT I'M DISGUISED, HOW CAN YOU TELL is unfair. That's the point of the disguise mechanic. If it's broken, then the enemy can tell. Should they go about it better then HEY, HE'S A PIRATE, absolutely, but that's not always the case.
Oh absolutely, I agree. The disguise mechanic is there for a reason. Putting "her sleeves are always covered, so there's no way to tell if she has any tattoos" in your description isn't enough to avoid detection.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 am

Except that DMs have suggested doing that very thing in the name of cooperate storytelling. You are expected to adhere to 'soft disguise'.

Skald Haldi
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Skald Haldi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 am

Agree with TimeAdept. My character was fully dressed. No skin exposed at all. But then people say they can see my tattoos. If that's how it's going to be, then I am FORCED to use disguise mechanics to hide. Regardless, that's a separate issue.

We're getting off topic. Magistrasa above says that 45 lore is not enough. Any explanation there beyond guesses?

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 am
Except that DMs have suggested doing that very thing in the name of cooperate storytelling. You are expected to adhere to 'soft disguise'.
Got some thread links to that or something? Else I'm convinced this is just one of those be nice rulings.

But even then, you get all the mechanical advantages of being a pirate and you get to just cover up your skin and pretend everything's alright? Wasn't that the same issue for the outcast? That people get mechanical benefit at no cost of RP what so ever?

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 pm

I agree that pirates should be revealed should people spot their tattoos. You can RP how its revealed, be it like short peek on the hand when glove is off or something.

Otherwise drows and duergars can walk on the surface like their good counterparts as long they're just covering their skin and head with the same excuse.

You have disguise for that.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:56 pm

what you see is what you get...
if you don't like being pointed out as a pirate... then don't play one or invest in bluff or perform.
it's part of the package.

but i do agree the mechanics behind it in regard to first post in this topic sounds like a bug.
perhaps one should make a topic in the bug section rather then questions and answers before the topic derail even more. lol

Skald Haldi
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Skald Haldi » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Agree with Seekeepeek.

This thread is only to explain the mechanics. I don't know if it's bugged or not - because I don't know what the mechanics are.

Regarding other topics - I can start a new thread for that in the future. It's so messed up trying to play a pirate that I gave up for now.

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Petrifictus wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 pm
I agree that pirates should be revealed should people spot their tattoos. You can RP how its revealed, be it like short peek on the hand when glove is off or something.

Otherwise drows and duergars can walk on the surface like their good counterparts as long they're just covering their skin and head with the same excuse.

You have disguise for that.
Not that it has much to do with this particular debate, but in Forgotten Realms lore Duergar aren't necessarily consider vile monsters of the Underdark in the way that Drow are. Technically, a lynch mob shouldn't necessarily form just because a Duergar is spotted. Although it seems Arelith RP is more of the "Monster Manual says evil and that means we must kill it, regardless of circumstances" variety :roll:

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Can we just get a response from someone on the team explaining the actual mechanics and how it should be working? This topic has strayed from the original inquiry and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere good.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:45 am

Sartain wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:57 pm
Although it seems Arelith RP is more of the "Monster Manual says evil and that means we must kill it, regardless of circumstances" variety :roll:
This, unfortunately. Although it should be clear enough that no player character has access to the Monster Manual, nor do they know the 9 alignments.

Anyway, sorry for deviating the topic.

Nemento

Post by Nemento » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:14 pm

I dodn't think disguise should be needed to hide tattoos. Disguise means you are pretending to be an entirely different person. That's why it requires bluff/perform. But I'm not pretending anything, I simply wear a long sleeve, I shouldn't need any skill for that. Besides, disguise is utterly pointless for low level characters because when your bluff is still low almost anyone can break your disguise without any spot investment at all.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Makeup Artist... GO!

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Realistic picture of Papa Ranjun