Summons clarification

You have questions? We may have answers.
Thessa

Summons clarification

Post by Thessa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:15 am

Hello,

I just recently came back to Arelith and after reading the wiki and comparing the summons stats to what I have in game, I came to the conclusion that either I misunderstood something or something is not working as intended. Let me explain.

I play a mage who took spell focus conjuration and greater spell focus conjuration. If I'm not mistaking, when I cast a summon monster (summon monster VI), I should get a monster 1 tier higher thanks to the GSF conjuration, so instead of getting a hell hound, I should get a tier 7 elemental. That's exactly what I get so no problem there.

However, also according to the wiki, 'each level of focus provide' some benefits:
+1 to all skills the summon has ranks in
+1 hit die worth of hit points (meaning, as if the creature was 1 level above in terms of HP, both adding base class HP and CON modifier).
+1 AB
+1 Damage
+1 AC
+1 Universal Saves

GSF raises the summon tier by 1 instead, but spell focus conjuration should still improve the stats of my summon as is shown above.

When I look at the fire elemental tier 7 that is described in the wiki, I read that he has 144 hp, AC 23, saves of 14, 18 and 10 respectively, AB of 20/15/10, etc. The fire elemental that I summon in game has exactly the same stats, all of them. I was expecting him to have improved stats (for instance, 1 HD more hp, +1 AB, +1 AC) compare to the one in the wiki.

So, what did I miss?

Thanks in advance.

DM Eyeball

Re: Summons clarification

Post by DM Eyeball » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 am

Ran a few tests, can confirm what you describe.

From the wiki:
Summon Creature
Greater Conjuration Focus only raises the summon tier by 1 instead of the bonus above. Warlocks do not get the raised tier, but the one shown above. Casters with the Animal domain and Greater Conjuration Focus will receive both the increased tier and the summoning bonus.
Essentially, Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration only "raises the summon tier by 1 INSTEAD of the bonus above".

The only case where it is different is for Clerics with Animal Domain AND Greater Conjuration Focus, which receive both the raise by one tier AND the summoning bonuses.

TLDR: Casters without Animal Domain do not receive the summoning bonuses through Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration. Epic Spell Focus should, however grant a bonus, as far as I can see.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Is that intended because it seems like a bug based on the way it’s stated on the wiki?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 pm

No, it's been that way since the update came in, and even says so on the wiki a little further down
Greater Conjuration Focus only raises the summon tier by 1 instead of the bonus above. Warlocks do not get the raised tier, but the one shown above. Casters with the Animal domain and Greater Conjuration Focus will receive both the increased tier and the summoning bonus.

Thessa

Post by Thessa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:49 pm

The way it is written in the wiki, I had understood that for GSF, you did not get the bonus, but instead the tier was raised by 1. I did not think it would cancel the bonus you get with Spell focus, since it is written that: ''Each level of focus provides: '' (the bonus listed).

Now, the question that remains is, does ESF grant the bonus? Anybody could answer this? Would be nice to know before choosing that feat.

Thanks

Thessa

Post by Thessa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Ah.... there is a bug with the bonus for spell focus.

I just ran another test with a cleric of mine, level 4. She has spell focus conjuration. So the bonus listed should apply to her summon.

She summoned a dire rat (summon monster II) with stats: 33 hp, AC 19, AB 9, damage (1-8)+4, DC F6, R5, W3. Those stats are exactly the ones listed in the page of summons in the wiki. Her dire rat has no bonus whatsoever.

I suspect that this is the reason why my fire elemental did not have any bonus from spell focus conjuration. I believe, the way it is written in the wiki, that GSF should raise tier by 1, not give the listed bonus unless you have the animal domain, but should not cancel the bonus for spell focus. It is likely the same bug that prevents any bonus to be given for spell focus conjuration both for the dire rat and the fire elemental.