Rules Clarification Requested: Assassination Interaction

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Rules Clarification Requested: Assassination Interaction

Post by Durvayas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:13 am

Assassins
Characters with Assassin levels are allowed to ignore this rule, so long as they are actively pursuing a target!
Assassins must abide to all but one of the OOC rules of engagement.

The exception is the interaction rule. Assassins, and only assassins who have taken the class, can interact with their target, and then afterwards, attack their target at ANY point WITHIN 24 hours. IF they die during any attempt, they must wait 24 hours. If more than 24 hours have passed, they must interact in some way again, and then they may attack without the usual RP beforehand hours later. Despite this grace, think very hard about how the interaction will be fun for your victim before you do the assassination X time later in the day. This will be asked of you to present in your application.
Bear in mind that this is something of an honor system. Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should attack your mark, lose the fight, raise and go chase after the mark again and again.
As an additional clarification: Interaction also means the use of Runners / Images / Messages / Letters, etc.
Per the new announcement can we get a clarification on this? In the past, it was said that assassins had to personally interact with the target prior to assassinating them. That meant that runners, letters, etc, were not allowed.
You had to basically be face to face, threaten the target or do something else overtly hostile, and leave(to avoid getting stomped at that very moment in advance because most assassins suck at 1v1 dueling) before you could then attack at any point in the next 24 hours.

Is this a new ruling on the assassin rules of engagement?
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

TimeAdept

Re: Rules Clarification Requested: Assassination Interaction

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 am

You had to basically be face to face, threaten the target or do something else overtly hostile,
Man, I got told you didn't even need to be hostile, you just had to have *interacted* with them.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:45 am

As I understood it, you can't use runners/letters for things like exiling/seizing property, so I'm not sure why it would count for anything else.

However, my understanding is that Time Adept's interpretation is also correct, open to circumstances and situations. If you're seeking your target for some recon, and you find them about to take on some horrible foe, tagging along until they're at a moment of vulnerability and then pouncing when their guard is down fits the narrative perfectly - it's all in how you approach the other player about it. If everyone has fun and there's no bad feelings, there's no need to worry in the first place.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:01 am

Bumping in hopes for an actual DM ruling.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 am

Sorry yes, that was unclear as I tagged it on as a hurry:

As an additional clarification: Interaction also means the use of Runners / Images / Messages / Letters, etc. in regards to POST PvP.
Runners / Images / Messages are NOT considered Interaction PRIOR to PvP and may NOT be used to initiate PvP.
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

DM Atropos

Post by DM Atropos » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:48 am

As an aside, for ANY PVP you must have INTERACTIVE RP. This means you post, they get a chance to respond, carry on.

The 24 Hour Rule disallows ANY RP with the target, interactive or not. (Notes, messengers, illusions, etc.)

General rule of thumb.
What is woven will be.

Beard Master Flex

Post by Beard Master Flex » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:02 pm

What does interact mean though? Does that mean just hang out and have some fun RP before you secretly return afterwords for the kill?

Or does it mean you interactively inform them in person that you will be killed in some way either by proxiy or yourself; verbally or through emotive language?

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Beard Master Flex wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:02 pm
What does interact mean though? Does that mean just hang out and have some fun RP before you secretly return afterwords for the kill?

Or does it mean you interactively inform them in person that you will be killed in some way either by proxiy or yourself; verbally or through emotive language?
I'm going to go ahead and guess it probably means indicating, without question, that they are a target for assassination. Otherwise you could just go 'top of the morning to ya' and be greeted in return and call it settled :D

boggle99

Post by boggle99 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:09 pm

They already know they are a target for assassination. A little glowy light tells then when they log in.

The wording is clear it says interactive rp. Not interactive hostile rp like it does for most pvp. I would still say it needs to be more than one exchange but a chat where your char gets to know theirs I would certainly count in my mind.