PG-13 rule

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DSM-IV

PG-13 rule

Post by DSM-IV » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi, new guy question.

I always have a problem with getting really into my characters when I RP and kind of forget the outside world. I probably have a problem...anyway, when I play a "gritty" character who has a fowl mouth I want the RP to feel realistic as possible. They tend to say offensive things. Now, I change the spelling of words because in real life I actually don't like swearing. Now, I find this falling into the PG-13 realm.
Is it?
I let my kids watch sometimes and have no issue with them seeing misspelled swear words, but I wanted some clarification if this is against the rules. I don't want to bring up an old argument on a server that has been running forever, just maybe a link to a past post or a quick answer from an administrator would be great!

If it is a naughty, my apologies like I said I tend to get so involved when RP'ing and forget. So, please just whack me in the head for a reminder.

DSM-IV = Toad's player
Not a Harper

Seven Sons of Sin

Re: PG-13 rule

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Mispelling swear words is still using swear words.

"F***" to "feck" is less appropriate than "f***" to "shades!" or "hellfire!" or "ganzooks!" or "fade!"
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Unfortunately, made up swear words look absolutely awful, and have NONE of the impact whatsoever. At the same time, every time a Dwarf or Duergar says "feck" or "shyte" or whatever I want to punch them, but I don't for fear of losing my arm in their beard.

Shakespearean curses or generally flowery curses like "By the [noun]'s [adjective] [verbing] [noun]!" idiotic as well. When you're actually in a situation where you'd say "Holy f***." you don't have the time, creativity, or desire to sound like a Renaissance poet- you're conveying a sudden, flat shock, the state of being unimpressed at another's actions, or generally sudden actions. Sure, you can convey that in emotes, actions, and so on, but in speech there is LITERALLY no replacement for a well placed F-bomb (which PG-13, as a movie rating, does in fact allow, sparingly, but good luck explaining that dichotomy in DM _House).
Last edited by Kuma on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

DM_Tophat

Post by DM_Tophat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Tone the language down and try to fantasy-up the words.
It's perfectly possible to play a gritty character without resorting to shock factor swear words.

Look at it like this :
You yourself may be able to approach swearing in a PG13 environment and make it tasteful. Though somebody new might spot a few profanities being used, and assume this is ok. These people are the ones that will start using it in more or less every sentence, just because they 'can'.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:26 pm

I have actually RP'd with Toad (hah! Yes! I actually play this game sometimes!) and felt that you skirted very close to the line. If the scene we met in is typical of the character, I'd say you need to dial it back a little (e.g. by finding a word like 'gimp' or such that you can use in the majority of cases, and spare misspelt F bombs for truly occasional use).

But I am much much more concerned about relationship stuff than language stuff; you're not going to find yourself handed a permanent ban over occasional foul language.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Mithreas wrote:But I am much much more concerned about relationship stuff than language stuff; you're not going to find yourself handed a permanent ban over occasional foul language.
I'm actually very very happy to read this from a dev publicly- I've never known a consensus or even guideline about the relative "scale of hurt" you'll experience from a DM if you rarely drop in something suited to a situation from the Big List of Swears. Naturally I'm not advocating for calling your opponent something excessive twelve times in a Council Meeting, but this is still something I'm relieved to read.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 pm

There's only a few phrases I have trouble with diluting. For the most part, since I am typing and nothing will ever come out fast, I take the time to be creative.

Also, depending on the race or background a simple two or three letter syllable can replace an entire phrase of string of phrases. My Hawkin' (both of them since they were father and son) used "Oi!" for so many things it seemed to be half his dialog.

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:14 pm

In certain times, using emotes like *Curses under his breath, scowling.* can help show that swearing, without actually using it. In my opinion, anyway.

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Mithreas wrote: But I am much much more concerned about relationship stuff than language stuff; you're not going to find yourself handed a permanent ban over occasional foul language.
So then this is directed at my RP? My apologize, I didn't mean to offend anyone if I have. In the future I keep out snide sexual references.

Sorry! :oops:
Not a Harper

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Nope, not at you! Though always best to be safe :-)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Serendipitous

Post by Serendipitous » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:51 pm

Stick with deities and body parts when you need a quick "flat shock" response

"beshaba's buttcheek! Did you see that!?"
Praise the sun!

Urch

Post by Urch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:03 am

http://arelith.com/node/14693

While a lot of the above link is made up of Elizabethan insults that sound somewhat silly, there are some pretty decent ones.
What sounds better, telling someone to f off, or telling them that they are an artless beslubbering foot-licker?

Marsi makes some good forgotten realms swearing in a response too
"By Melkoth's beard!"
"Bah - you spawn of Skeflock!"

I use "Forsooth!" a lot as an exclamation. Likewise just saying something simple as "hells!" works instead of the F or S word in sudden encounters, and lacks the offensive impact of proper swearing.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:49 am

I hear snuggybear is a pretty fashionable insult.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:45 am

"By Moradin's monsterous manhood!"

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:36 am

Serendipitous wrote:Stick with deities and body parts when you need a quick "flat shock" response

"beshaba's buttcheek! Did you see that!?"
Stealing this. Also PRETTY SURE I once heard someone declare by torm's swinging cod which tickled me pink.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 am

I've always been fond of "Beshaba's bouncin' bosoms!"
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by RED GANOT » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:32 am

When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Booo that's Sigil cant. If people start using that as if they're some seasoned planar traveller I will weep. But by all means. Be a clueless.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Who cares what it comes from? If it's cool and it fits, use it.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Majority of those don't look like they'd be from Sigil alone either way, black diamond, biter, kobold king, etc...

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Some people on the server are seasoned planar travelers. Throwing a bit of the cant around would make sense for them. Others, not so much. Like almost everything, it's all in when/how/how much you use it.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!