Allowable names?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

blksabbath74

Allowable names?

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:31 pm

Sorry, you guys are right. This is not a big deal. I can figure out names that are not plays on words.

I just got caught up in what I felt was a really great character, and it was hard to let go.

I apologize.
Last edited by blksabbath74 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Can we get character names pre-approved?

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 pm

1. If the name isn't okay, you can just get a DM to help you change it.

2. Ask a DM. Any DM. If they say it's okay, you're fine.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 pm

Sorry
Last edited by blksabbath74 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:30 am, edited 6 times in total.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:11 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 pm
Ask a DM. Any DM. If they say it's okay, you're fine.
I'm not sure how to make that any clearer.

And great characters can have whatever name they want. They make the name great, not the other way around.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm

if you 're worried about it, drop the DM team a PM with the name you want (and maybe a very small snippet about the character) And we'll let you know if it's ok!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 pm

Sorry
Last edited by blksabbath74 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 am

Send a PM here to 'Active DMs', else try /DM in game. Grumpy gave a shout asking for issues earlier today on Surface.
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 am

Famous characters, using unearned titles, or using external software to modify the physical appearance of your character (including headpaks) is prohibited. Also note, that character names, skin tones, etc. can be rejected at DM's discretion and if asked, you are expected to remake without complaint.
This is a bit of a 'rule of thumb' sitatuion, because no Dm can be clued in to every single pop culture reference and literary homage in the world. A very subtly done, obscure reference may well slip though and honestly speaking? That's fine.
And we can't be everywhere at all times, able to do everything. Some will slip though the cracks, because we're busy with other things, or because we didn't get the reference, or because even though there was a reference, it's distant enough from the concept we might allow it. (E.g. there's a paladin named Ecthellion about. This is the same name as a character from Lord of the Rings, but Ecthellion has a different second name. and doesn't seem to be a complete rip off from the character, so that's fine.)

In your example, Grey Mouser is an extremely well known character, the sort which I'd imedatly go recognise, and that recognition immedatly takes me out of immersion and, often, makes your character less of a 'character' and more of a 'joke,' or 'meta reference.'

Your characters should be able to stand on their own, on their own benefit, with names providing nothing but a little flavour, not because they have names that harken to something else, or titles that are unowned. Dropping the odd slightly famous first or second name, so long as it's devoid of direct link to the concept, may well be fine.

Your character should be able to stand out, as an identity, as their own character. A name might hint to something sure, but if your name is there just to 'attract' other players with 'lol I know that character! I wonder if they're like that thief guy out of the book!' or 'I get that refernece LOL!' then you're likely doing yourself a disservice.

With that being said - I welcome you to either PM myself, or the DM team with any name concepts you want to run by us. Likewise you can even post them here for review, if you wish and don't mind such being public.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 am

Sorry
Last edited by blksabbath74 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

420chambers

Post by 420chambers » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:29 am

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 am

Sorry.
Last edited by blksabbath74 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:10 am

blksabbath74 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 am
I just have no desire to go with the generic fantasy trope of stringing three or seven random syllables together.

Goran Stibbs
Veranthis Scantillion
Kor Danthir
Plutarchon Orillius
Are these ones you're saying at based off of other characters? Never heard any of those names before.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:24 pm

420chambers wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:29 am
That's been dealt with.
This too shall pass.

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 pm

420chambers wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:29 am
lmao
100 hundred bucks he's from Brazil
I can reckon my kin from a distance
PayadorPerseguido