How much ride is necessary

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Griefmaker

How much ride is necessary

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Hey everyone,

My character is skill starved but being able to ride a horse totally fits him so I have been considering taking some ride ranks. I know 6 ranks are needed to just ride a horse. He is not taking any mounted feats or the like...but how much ride is necessary to simply be able to ride and swing a sword if need be without falling off the horse all the time?

Thanks!

Ebonstar

Re: How much ride is necessary

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm

my toon has awesome reflex and dex and still cant ride a horse without the 6 ranks in ride, even though i have 10 bonus ranks in it due to high dex. You just have to have the points spent
Yes I can sign

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Yeah, mine has crappy dex, sadly. But is more than the 6 ranks taken required just so that they can just stay in the saddle? I can siphon that many away, perhaps up to 8 or 10 ranks, but he is already skill starved as it is.

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 pm

I’m a gnome with 10 ride and 8 dex and only get tossed off in combat, maybe every third or fourth encounter. Never not in combat. No ride bonus on gear, animal empathy or nature classes.

The team says it’s too complicated to give general numbers. This thread though has people sharing their own experiences with their stats: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20974

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Ah, perfect! Thank you!