Campsites

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Maladus

Campsites

Post by Maladus » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:38 pm

This is a question mostly for builders/scripters as I have an idea for a new item that I'd like to suggest when the board opens back up, but I'd also welcome feedback to the idea from others. Basically the idea would be that camping gear would be a new crafted item that when used on the ground places a campsite (similar to a fixture) that creates a safe zone immediately surrounding it that essentially makes it safe to rest without fear of getting ambushed by enemies. The item would have 10 charges perhaps, with one charge getting expended per use. It could even be used as a semi-permanent campground so that players who want their characters to live primarily in the wilderness could live a nomadic lifestyle, but that would likely be a wish list item.

Of course, this all depends on whether this is feasible using the current set of tools. So, is it possible to create dynamic, localized 'safe zones' for resting in the wilderness?

Dr. B

Re: Campsites

Post by Dr. B » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 am

Why would doing such a thing make an ambush any less likely?

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 am

Could make it less likely from wild-life, though maybe not bandits and the likes; higher intelligence attackers. That being said, I could see it being an interesting Food/Water item. Like, maybe when you rest in a campsite (that has X charges), each rest increase tick also increases your food & water by 1%. Sort of like an all around meter refill.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:24 am

CosmicOrderV wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 am
Could make it less likely from wild-life, though maybe not bandits and the likes; higher intelligence attackers. That being said, I could see it being an interesting Food/Water item. Like, maybe when you rest in a campsite (that has X charges), each rest increase tick also increases your food & water by 1%. Sort of like an all around meter refill.
Maybe the added benefit of the Placed Campsite is that RESTING in proximity allows a GREATER THAN 50% rest too.

Also, I really like the idea of such a thing keeping wild critters at bay... but maybe increasing the liklihood of bandits, ogres, bugbears, goblins, humans, etc... who might spot the campfire and come to loot your corpse... after they try to turn you into a corpse.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:01 am

I basically see the campsite as a 'safe spot' because you would have some form of shelter. Perhaps you could have different tiers of camps...the lowest tiers simply protect you from the wildlife but the chance of ambush from sentient beings is still there, while at higher tiers they would be "trapped" and would provide you with protection from everything. Still haven't heard from anyone on the dev team that would know if it's even possible though.