Enchanting

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Enchanting

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:54 am

I'm pretty sure there's something about Neverwinter Nights that favors lower rolls. Sometimes my Witch has to cast Bull's Strength 20 times to get a 5. It's very, very, very rare that I ever get a 5 on the first cast.

I don't know if the NWN standard die have anything to do with how the Enchantment god saves are rolled, but if so, that could explain why - and the RNG actually favors one lower numbers over higher for players.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:18 am

As before, I'm a long term enchanter. I have all the charts, know to keep piety at 100%, know which enchants to lay down before and after you've spent your precious intervention. Been doing this awhile.

I do get periodic god-saves, but recently ONLY when I deign to make the high percentage rolls prior to an intervention, which is not recommended to say the least. Previously (as in two months ago now at least), I could regularly get saves on 5,10,15% items. This was no guarantee and there were plenty of failures. But, it could be counted on that with a little perseverance you could still regularly make said item.

This has, at least for me, seemed to change. I can still make said 15% item, but I ONLY seem to make it on the appropriate raw roll.

I may just try to change deity, which I should have done awhile ago to troubleshoot, but resisted for RP reason. Since things are apparently working for a subset of players unchanged, maybe its something more specific, or maybe I am crazy, or maybe Miss Evelyn is right about the RNG, or maybe its dark energy!

But, man, this does currently feel like the old Nives Za'Rocc days with a million gold, a fist full of fortitude rings, and a basin full of tears.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:39 am

I've noted a string of no-saves when Surface has been laggy. Generally, I'll pop to DS to try again and there's no issue. As of yet, still within the realm of RNG, so merely anecdotal, but it does seem if there's a bit of lag Kirith has a harder time hearing.
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Fionn...you may be a genius! It's elegant, has the ring of truth, and it's so simple I can't believe I missed it.

I'm part of the group experiencing EST lag...and the period Ive been experiencing these difficulties corresponds to the period Ive been experiencing the lag. I also play mostly in Cordor these days, which, as emotional overload notes, incurs a 3 second delay even on a good night. I also get booted regularly in doorway transitions, etc. This also simply isn't EE, which worked great for me for months, rather the consistent lag, like the save issue, is something I've only experienced since December or so.

If lag does indeed effect the save mechanic, this could be the answer right here.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Yes, I'm sorry, but all this is confirmation bias and none of this is still true.

Trust me, I know. I've been trying to make a 5x +2 skill, +1 save, +1 con, +1 cha, which requires a god save before the cha. I've already put 300k into it. I always do this at 100% piety and the times I'm god saving (on both servers) is within a StDev of the actual math it should be.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks for the continued input, Xerah. I want to believe it.

Yet, I do feel like the kid who, after being shocked by the electric fence, was reasoned with by his friend. [True Story.]

"Hey, the farmhouse is abandoned. That old rusty wire is touching the ground. Besides, who's even paying the electricity bill anymore? You must have imagined it."

The friend's reasoning was sound, the kid agreed, and so reached out to lift the wire once again.

ZZZZZZZT!!!!

Only, now the shock comes to me several times a night for the past two months. I'm ready for this confirmation bias to be over!

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Code is deterministic, however.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:12 am

When the lag problem was (mostly) dealt with, so did my enchanting woes immediately revert to all previously established norms.

I'm not saying its the lag...buuuut...its the laaag.

As more proof positive, even normal things like rest would only throw two ticks my way during the sleep cycle. It definitely messed up all sort of normal things.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:38 am

Code is deterministic, however.
There's nothing wrong with the enchantment/dweoermercraft god save.
Your bad luck is within a standard deviation.

Fizzicist

Post by Fizzicist » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:35 am

Long time enchanter (and yes I understand statistics). I've always used the formula posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1930&p=17095#p17095

The "cool kids" (that don't share well) probably have a better spreadsheet that eases the calculations. Honestly, for dedicated (vice casual) players that log many hours, there should be a way (pword protected site?) to share some FOIG knowledge that our toons might know better than we players. One simple debate would be that an ESF enchanter would hear of new techniques and understand them. I digress.

Within the above Forum page re enchanting math, it mentions that calculated negative percentages are not eligible for God saves. Also, I think there was a Forum post mentioning how many minutes the God save cooldown required before resetting. Like 18 minutes I think but I can't find my notes on it.

Since the change in magical drops a few years ago (don't get me going on how that affected enchanter gear building RP) I have developed a hypothesis from my own many basin ventures that something isn't the same. While I accept from folks that have seen "behind the curtain" that no mechanics were altered, I'm suggesting there is something that is affecting successes. Perhaps it is the lag. I've heard from fellow enchanters the switching servers guidance and it has merit.

I greatly appreciate the open discussion and strong assertion that the lack of successes is within SD of normal distribution. I can only offer that my sampling indicates success rate has lessened and God saves aren't as "likely" even with 100% piety and not being anywhere near a cooldown time limit.

And @ RedGiant's comment above re: being kicked from transitions, I'm experiencing the same along with a Runtime C++ error that occurred at last update. I'm trying to troubleshoot the variables of Nvidia versions as my C++ files are authenticated correct from Microsoft.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:39 am

Fizzicist wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:35 am
The "cool kids" (that don't share well) probably have a better spreadsheet that eases the calculations. Honestly, for dedicated (vice casual) players that log many hours, there should be a way (pword protected site?) to share some FOIG knowledge that our toons might know better than we players. One simple debate would be that an ESF enchanter would hear of new techniques and understand them. I digress.
I don't know if anyone playing a 15+ year old computer game counts as a cool kid, but uhh... it's literally on page one of general reference and information. It's almost like multiple people went out of their way to work together to compile it for everyone's ease of access...
Fizzicist wrote:Within the above Forum page re enchanting math, it mentions that calculated negative percentages are not eligible for God saves. Also, I think there was a Forum post mentioning how many minutes the God save cooldown required before resetting. Like 18 minutes I think but I can't find my notes on it.
Nothing under a base 5% is eligible for a godsave, which is covered in the above link, and you can trigger one once per in-game day.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Fizzicist

Post by Fizzicist » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:14 pm

Gotcha. Godsave is 2hr 24 min RT. Thanks. Now I'm going to wonder what in game thing is 18 min that my brain logged. :)

Also, as my link indicates, I am aware of the math and the existing calculator linked in the post. I've been using the NWN toolset to look up the costs. I haven't used the PGCC. Perhaps that makes looking up all the costs less of a tedious PIA. Explicitly, it would be nice to be able to just type into the rows: "Hammer, +2 [skill], +2 [skill], ...., +1 Str, +1 Con" .

The wiki has gotten better since 2010 though.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Fizzicist wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:14 pm
Gotcha. Godsave is 2hr 24 min RT. Thanks. Now I'm going to wonder what in game thing is 18 min that my brain logged. :)
I will dust off my enchanter and check this for you, but I phrased it as I did on purpose- IIRC, it is not every 2h 24 min from the time you last godsaved on the basin. It is once per in-game day, and resets at midnight. I have distinct and firm memories of waiting until hour 22/23 to do my enchanting bursts on a 2 stat 1 unisave 4 skill item I made back in the day. My process involved making a bunch of items with the 4 skills and the +1 unisave, then pitching those until I got a godsave for the first stat on them. The final enchantment wasn't saveable, so I just pitched these end results into the basin in batches of five hoping for the best.

Waiting until around midnight allowed me double my potential output per session with the basin in setting up the basic model to pitch.

But memories are a funny thing, and I could just be crazy, so like I said, I'll check this at some point today.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:30 pm

It is once per in-game day, and resets at midnight.
Without telling you exactly how it is set up, I can assure you that tagging things to an IG clock is not something that has ever been done with anything. Things get time stamped when they happen, never based on the IG clock.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:27 pm

*posts a screenshot of a lvl 30 spellsword dies to a wyvren outside guldorand by rolling enough 1s against the poison and the knockdown*

Guys you're just unlucky. Love ya all <3
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Xerah wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:30 pm
It is once per in-game day, and resets at midnight.
Without telling you exactly how it is set up, I can assure you that tagging things to an IG clock is not something that has ever been done with anything. Things get time stamped when they happen, never based on the IG clock.
You know, except for things that were. The common example would be the old crafting points refreshing after 24 ingame hours that was absolutely tied to the IG clock. Changing servers would impact your time until refresh if they were out of sync and you would go from 0 to full on the tick.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:50 pm

Hellfire wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 pm
You know, except for things that were.
Well, that's extremely passive aggressive.

The former crafting refresh was not tied whatsoever to the IG clock. It was tied to a timestamp that was saved on your character and when 2h24m passed, you'd be able to do it. It didn't matter what time the IG clock said.

The reason why there were extremely long wait times, is sometimes the servers would be out of sync, so when they restarted, the current timestamp would be quite different than the one that's saved on your characters, so you could see a long time.

None of this had anything to do with the ingame clock, and certainly not when midnight happens.

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 am

You are right, it was a bit passive aggressive. I'm sorry for that.

I would argue though that a reference to a timestamp that is only checked when the in game hour ticks over is tied to the IG clock. Though not in the way you are meaning it on a code level.