Tracking problems

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ebonstar

Tracking problems

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:05 pm

So your looking for tracks and chasing someone, but when you check all ways to do this you find nothing that matches one who you know as a player went through the transition

Later you see this person and just at random click to examine him because of varied clothes or whatnot, and find out the reason why you could not track them.

The person is playing a subrace but didnt select it when they created thus only leaving tracks of the base race and not the sub. Examples are Dwarf instead of Duergar and Elf instead of Drow

You know they are the subrace player wise but noway to prove it IC wise because of this oversight.

What do you do?
Yes I can sign

Hazard

Re: Tracking problems

Post by Hazard » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:51 pm

I would RP as just being confused by the similarity. Perhaps the Drow had slightly larger feet or .. whatever difference a Duergar might have. They are dwarves, and Drow are elves. It's not too far-fetched to think their tracks would be nearly indistinguishable from one another.

Of course, your character is a legendary adventurer and would probably know the difference eventually- but until it's fixed I would just RP it as it happens. Maybe incorporate it into their behaviour so .. "I saw some tracks that I suspect are Drow, but I couldn't be entirely sure it wasn't an elf." stuff like that.

It's been mentioned haks might be able to solve some sub-race awkwardness! Don't quote me on that, I have no idea.

msterswrdsmn

Re: Tracking problems

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Fun fact; I forgot which skill it was, but if its not high enough, you'll have issues determining what race a player may be. Ie: Drow appear as elves when examining them.

Just roll with it! Question 'em, ignore 'em, bring a better spotter with you, etc.