roleplaying timestop

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

roleplaying timestop

Post by godhand- » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:48 am

How do you roleplay timestop?

When a person stops time are all others present aware or unaware of what happens in said period?

From a logical perspective - all events that occur during stopped time would not be seen by the observers, and only the caster would truly know what happened... beyond Hey, they just moved from point A to B (assuming they moved)

EG:
Person A is a wizard, stops time in front of B and C
In that time, Kills B, and disposes of the corpse/evidence.
Does C know what happened?
In fact, does B even know what happened?

I'm curious peoples thoughts on the dynamics of roleplying stopped time and its effects.
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Xerah

Re: roleplaying timestop

Post by Xerah » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 am

It’s just wizards being drama queens. Time doesn’t stop, they just go super fast.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:18 am

For a first time observer, I'll do the confusion and wonder thing where my character is surprised that something changed before their eyes, or simply wonders how someone did that thing so quickly without them noticing. It's used so excessively in PvP though, that I can't reasonably RP my more experienced characters not knowing that it was a Timestop, especially if they've used the spell personally.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:27 am

What TRM said, basically.

If something obvious changed or occurred in what would essentially be an instant for your character then they're going to be suspicious. RP that however suits your character.

It is fairly unreasonable for a character to, completely unprompted, say something like "Wow, who stopped time." if there's zero indication it happened. For example if it happened in a zone you were in but really far away from where you are so whatever happened, didn't happen near or within eyesight of you.

The final thing to note is Spellcraft and seeing the spell being cast.
If your character passes the SC check and is seeing Timestop being cast then no matter what happens they're pretty much aware that time was just stopped for a moment, because they saw everything leading up to it.

And always remember, if you see something being cast and YOU, you the player, know what it is but your character doesn't pass the check and you get the text time "[character] is casting an unknown spell" then your character doesn't know what it is, even if you the player might!!

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Characters are aware of a timestop because of the 80's soundtrack playing in the background!