Soul Contract

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rooshi49

Soul Contract

Post by Rooshi49 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 am

Can you make a contract as a PC to steal the soul of another PC if that other PC is a warlock who's pacted?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Soul Contract

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:59 am

That's entirely up to the player of the Warlock in question.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Rooshi49

Post by Rooshi49 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:21 am

So they accepted, would you say it makes sense though lore wise?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:27 am

I think if the nature of their pact is that their soul is owned (a common pact I assume), then I guess their soul is already to be owned and can't be traded again? Or it can, but whoever 'gets it' might be getting the property of a powerful demon/devil/whatever and it will come to claim what is theirs. Maybe.

Might be a definitive in-lore answer, but I think if you both agree on something there could be a lot of different and very cool stories that come from such a muddled situation. Pretty cool stuff!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:13 am

You'd have to have some way of getting it from whoever they're pacted to. If you can do that, I don't see why not. But it's not going to be easy or cheap, and it will probably involve a very high personal cost to you. You have to give the owner something worth as much as or more than that soul.

And under no circumstances will it allow that player to have an unpacted warlock.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:29 am

My warlock once negotiated a "lease" on her soul to a third party, which was fairly entertaining.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 am

To be a warlock doesn't mean you've signed your soul away. It CAN mean that's your pact, but it could also be any other myriad kinds of pacts.

Like a Faustian pact signed with a devil. You don't give away your soul, but instead you receive powers in return for performing increasingly evil acts, which ensures that your soul ends up in hell at the end of the day without resorting to heavy-handed methods.

And I don't think devils or demons would care too much about mortals making contracts for each others souls. They don't have even close to the same potential to enforce such contracts, and even then they're still just mortals and when they die the time will come to collect on their original due anyway. What does it matter if it takes a couple of centuries longer?