Lore question from one semi-ignorant on drow

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Griefmaker

Lore question from one semi-ignorant on drow

Post by Griefmaker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Hey everyone!

So I have a question in regards to drow and their culture and all. And I am a bit ignorant on a lot of stuff, so please bear with me.

Can male warlocks, who are Lolthlites, pact with yochlols for their power? Or would that be something they would not do as handmaidens of a very matriarchal Lolth? Also, would a temple with priestesses of Lolth flip out over such a thing (brand them heretic or something like that)?

I am trying to figure out how drow culture might look at some of these things since as I said, I am a bit ignorant.

Thanks!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Lore question from one semi-ignorant on drow

Post by Durvayas » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Griefmaker wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm
Hey everyone!

So I have a question in regards to drow and their culture and all. And I am a bit ignorant on a lot of stuff, so please bear with me.

Can male warlocks, who are Lolthlites, pact with yochlols for their power? Or would that be something they would not do as handmaidens of a very matriarchal Lolth? Also, would a temple with priestesses of Lolth flip out over such a thing (brand them heretic or something like that)?

I am trying to figure out how drow culture might look at some of these things since as I said, I am a bit ignorant.

Thanks!
Male warlocks can pact with any demon, but Yochlol are slaves to the will of lolth. It is highly unlikely they would deal with a male drow, especially as lolth loves male sacrifices.

Additionally, past experience tells me that you would more likely than not indeed be branded as a heretic, or, more likely, dismissed as a liar attempting to take advantage of the temple. This is more because people have poisoned the well for you (looking at the male clerics of lolth that have historically acted indistinguishably from Vhaeraunites) than the fact that its 100% impossible to verify your PC's story. Furthermore, even if your PC convinced a sitting archpriestess to tolerate your PC, there is a high chance you'd be facing PvP very quickly from the more conservative drow.

In short, I don't think its supported by the lore, and I also don't expect it would be supported by the existant drow, much less the temple priestesses themselves.

You'll have far more luck just pacting with any demon and playing that off than RPing pacting with a handmaiden of lolth. Even female drow that claim to pact with Yochlol tend to get a hard time (though thats largely because since Yochlol are handmaidens of lolth, they try to enter the temple as priestesses).
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for in regards to FR lore and IC lore stuff. Thank you!

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 am

Durvayas wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:49 pm
Griefmaker wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
Male warlocks can pact with any demon, but Yochlol are slaves to the will of lolth. It is highly unlikely they would deal with a male drow, especially as lolth loves male sacrifices.
I fail to see why this would be the case, given that there are canonically male clerics of Lolth.

Given that the Yochlol are, effectively, a large part of Lolth's spy network within Drow communities, it stands to reason that more powerful Yochlol pacting with mortals would be an excellent way for them to exert control over a given population.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:42 am

I would be willing to bet that male clerics if Lolth are exceedingly rare so using it to justify a specific character type isn’t particularly convincing to me. That said, there is nothing stopping you from playing one or playing a male Yochlol packed warlock just don’t expect the Temple to be immediately accepting of you.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Nonhumans in the setting are also exceedingly rare, with each demihuman race individually making up a percentage of the total population of the Realms roughly equivalent to the number of male drow clerics in the church of Lolth. That never stops anyone from playing something that isn't a human, though.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Also, your character may very well know they'll face alienation and conceal their pact and intentions accordingly. Did that with my own warlock a few years back, worked nicely. Also because the players of priestesses and house bosses weren't particularly trigger happy, so even if I did something to obviously compromise my char, characters and their players often made some cool situations out of it.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:49 am

Word to Dalek. Arelith isn't strictly FR, but of course knowing the lore is important for context. You can always try to get away with whatever you want; whatever conflict results will just be all the juicier.

It might be different now since it's been a few months, but speaking from my own time as a drowess in the Temple, we didn't really care about anything. (Mostly because we didn't have the numbers for it.) xD

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually