Base Character Height?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cybernet21

Base Character Height?

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 am

So what's the male human base model's height?Does anyone have any idea? Just want to make sure i resize my character to the correct size i had imagined for him
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Base Character Height?

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 am

I think it's 5'6" for women and 5'10" for men.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Dragonfyre

Post by Dragonfyre » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 am

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm

Male human has a base height of 4'10" +2d10 inches

We only have 5 options for height, as far as character model size goes, so you could break up the possible height differences into those categories as follows:

Short: 4'11" - 5'2"
Below Average:5'3" - 5'6"
Average: 5'7" - 5'10"
Above Average: 5'11" - 6'2"
Tall: 6'3" - 6'6"
Active character(s): Emelina Selizar - A Slave No More

Others: Shea Webber (Retired and wandering the wilds with her beloved Xellree)

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:32 pm

All Right,thanks guys
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Cybernet21 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 am
So what's the male human base model's height?Does anyone have any idea? Just want to make sure i resize my character to the correct size i had imagined for him
In NWN The base male human model is 190cm tall, and 180cm for females. which is 6ft 2inch, and 5ft 9inch respectively.

which means under the new resizing,
For Human males:
Tallest height 199.5cm (6ft 5.5in) +5%
Above average 194.75cm (6ft 4in) +2.5%
Base 190cm (6ft 2in)
Below average 185.25 (6ft 0.7in) -2.5%
Shortest Height 180.5cm (5ft 9in) -5%

For Human females:
Tallest Height - 189cm (6ft 2in) +5%
Above average - 184.5cm (6ft 0.5in) +2.5%
Base Height - 180cm (5ft 9in)
Below average - 175.5cm (5ft 7in) -2.5%
Shortest Height - 171cm (5ft 6in) -5%

This irks me really as it means even with the ability to resize my character, she is still 6 inches taller at best from how tall she should be. I know very few women that are this tall, and i know the north of england isnt inhabited by hobbits. 5ft should be the lowest for women imo, with 6.2 being the tallest. for men, being 6ft 2in is again not the norm as it is in this game, nevermind being a 6ft 5 giant lol..

@Spyre, would these ever be tweaked in the future?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Diilicious wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 pm
would these ever be tweaked in the future?
Aside from players using these to make impossibly large or small characters, changing the size of a character makes their animations look weird. Sitting will start to look wrong, and when you stray too far from base height, it looks like you're ice skating or running around in your socks on a waxed floor. There have to be some boundaries so things don't start to look any more ridiculous than they already do.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:49 am

Well each race should have its own level of customiseability.

for example the current Hin model is 4ft tall, which is massive for a hin, so in the customise options the base option should be the tallest option by default, and the rest of the available options being shorter than this., the same for dwarves and gnomes.

or.. just some DM moderation when somebody asks to change their characters size, which is already a thing as you cant do it without their permission anyway. so i really dont think that is a valid fear to have.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:12 am

You need to ask dms for resize of old characters I believe new ones have it in starter room.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:06 pm

flower wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:12 am
You need to ask dms for resize of old characters I believe new ones have it in starter room.
Ah, then i retract my last statement,

however I still believe that each race should have its own sizing options when using the command.

I do not know much about the other races, I never thought elves were shorter than humans but this game says otherwise..

having a per race approach to resizing whos process is transparent will go a long way to muting peoples fears on the issue.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Elves always were shorter in DnD btw,i know it's strange because i always thought that was weird too :lol:

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:02 am

In some campaign settings that's true.

But in the forgotten realms:
Forgotten realms campaign setting wrote: However, elves in Faerun are tall and thin, so all elves except drow use the human height and the half-elven weight, subtracting 10 pounds from the actual weight. Half-elves use the human height and half-elven weight entries. Drow use the elven height and weight entries.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:59 am

Morderon wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:02 am
In some campaign settings that's true.

But in the forgotten realms:
Forgotten realms campaign setting wrote: However, elves in Faerun are tall and thin, so all elves except drow use the human height and the half-elven weight, subtracting 10 pounds from the actual weight. Half-elves use the human height and half-elven weight entries. Drow use the elven height and weight entries.
Huh that's weird,that image is supposedly from the 3.5 player Hand Book,aren't the forgotten realms basically the base setting? Huh,the more you know

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:23 am

FR isn't the base setting in 3.5, that would be Greyhawk. FR is the base setting for 5e, though.