Controlling Summons

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Joheshua

Controlling Summons

Post by Joheshua » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 am

I was trying to complete a writ and when I got to the end of the dungeon I had to destroy a phylactery to make the boss vulnerable, me being a very weak healer I would not be able to break it down myself so I tried to get my summon to do it and could not figure out how.

So, how do I get my summons to attack inanimate objects? I know when I attack most things like resources my summon joins in but he would not attack this thing.

Lilja_91

Re: Controlling Summons

Post by Lilja_91 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:11 pm

You attack the object, right click your summon and "Attack Nearest" and they'll go for it. Works if you're attacking it with ranged as well.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Lilja_91 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:11 pm
You attack the object, right click your summon and "Attack Nearest" and they'll go for it. Works if you're attacking it with ranged as well.
Will this work even if the boss is right nearby as well? That is what I thought was happening, I would click attack nearest and he went after the boss instead of the phylactery.

Lilja_91

Post by Lilja_91 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Make the summon follow you closer and then it should work!

Nulstarius

Post by Nulstarius » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Controlling it with the player tool should work fine for things like this.

http://wiki.arelith.com/Feat_changes#Player_Tool_1

Alternatively as a cleric, if you got level 7 spells, you can just cast destrution.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein.

Alantar
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Alantar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:18 pm

I'd suggest you learn how to use the player tool. It's extremely useful for a conjurer.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 am

you can map the playertool to your hotbar... which you can THEN map to a mouse-button... like Mousebutton 4 (one of those thumb-jobbies) -I like to do this, so I can quickly activate my target for the summon/companion/henchman, click on the portrait, or creature to activate it/him/her... or myself to activate 'all'...

then since I have it mapped to a thumb-button on my mouse, once activated, I can quickly call up the target and click on the ground... (or target a foe) and my summons/companion/henchman will go there, or attack that.

(works really well for having your animal companion run out in front of you, or take that high-path while you walk too.)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Where exactly can I find the player1 tool? I looked for it but could not seem to find it lol

Revelations

Post by Revelations » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 pm

It's on the radial menu, leftmost option (Special abilities?). Click around a little, it's hard to miss if you know where to look. Which you now do. :)

Once you have found it, the wiki explanation is pretty satisfactory.

You can also quickslot it. If you don't overwrite the quickslot, the playertool1 will always reappear there when you have a summon. That makes it easier to use.
Be faithful in the face of death
And I will give you the crown of life

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Revelations wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 pm
It's on the radial menu, leftmost option (Special abilities?). Click around a little, it's hard to miss if you know where to look. Which you now do. :)

Once you have found it, the wiki explanation is pretty satisfactory.

You can also quickslot it. If you don't overwrite the quickslot, the playertool1 will always reappear there when you have a summon. That makes it easier to use.
Thanks, gonna check this out when I get home.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Yeah this player1 tool makes all the difference, makes my life alot easier wow lol

Wont die nearly as much now.

Ken-X

Post by Ken-X » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am

The Kriv wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 am
you can map the playertool to your hotbar... which you can THEN map to a mouse-button... like Mousebutton 4 (one of those thumb-jobbies) -I like to do this, so I can quickly activate my target for the summon/companion/henchman, click on the portrait, or creature to activate it/him/her... or myself to activate 'all'...
Exactly how can you map it to, let's say mousebutton 4, as you suggest? I cant seem to find any F-keys to bind in the control settings. But it would make it so much easier to move around and control the selected summon if binded to a thumb button, compared to the old-fashioned way.

Thanks in advance :)

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 pm

The mapping of the Player Tool isn't done directly to your mouse. You map it to the F-Key from your Hotbar, then Map those key-strokes that correspond to that hotbar TO your mouse.

Review:
On whatever Hotbar key you want to use, R-Click to pull up the radial menu. Then from the Radial Menu, you can hunt around until you find "Player Tool 1" which controls the summons/familiar/companion/henchman.
This, is how I do it. (If anyone else has an alternate, please share!!)

Implementation example:
Although I don't do this CURRENTLY because I'm using a different mouse than in the past, But... I would THEN map whatever Function-Key that corresponds to my Hotbar (example: F1, [Shift]+F1, [Ctrl]+F1) I would MAP that to my Mouse Button #4 (which for me was a thumb-button).

THEN, when I had my animal companion out... I could quickly mouse over my companion, click my mouse button, which activated for me [Ctrl]+F7, and my cursor would turn into a target, which by then was already hovering over my companion... click the companion, parenting the Player Tool 1 to the companion... then thumb-click mouse button #4 again, to turn the cursor into a target again... and click on the ground or enemy... and my companion runs to that spot or attacks that enemy.

((that's how I did, anyway))

I had a wolf-totem-ranger char with the animal companion named "Trained Hunting Dog" so when I called up the animal companion, the "wolf" would appear with "Trained Hunting Dog" above it, so folk would know I was trying to portray this companion as a dog, and not a wolf.

I had my Player-1 Tool mapped to my thumb-button on my mouse, and back then, you could parent the "always walk" command to your companion by way of a console command, and I would have my wolf ... err.. trained hunting dog... "always walk" just in front of my character... or exactly beside her, and the companion would move at a walking pace. This made it really easy to maintain RP text and conversations with other players... AND... send my 'dog' sniffing around the area.

Worked really really well. (i thought anyway)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen